What's new
What's new

Sebastian 12" Lathe

powderhorn

Aluminum
I tried to ask where I should post on a 12"x36" Sebastian lathe, WWII vintage, on the general forum, and got directed to the Sheldon groups site. This lathe predates the Sheldon purchase of Sebastian, and they are not covered by Sheldon.

Here is more info on it

I had been looking for a new to me larger lathe, and happened to stumble across this one locally. It is a 12"x36" Sebastian, of WWII vintage, it still has the tag, that says it conforms to the orders of the war production board. Other than needing a good cleaning, and the oil passages cleaned out. The ways are in good shape. I am thinking that this one spent a good part of it's life in the corner of a tool room. I have attached some pics of it in as found condition. When I finally found the Ser # it had the old Army ordinance flaming bomb behind it.
100_2170.jpg100_2171.jpg100_2173.jpg

Hi, I just joined this sight, I also have a Sebastian 12 X 36 and am in need of any and all info
on it, every thing is gone, I need the quick change chart and speed tag or copy so I can have
some made up. I am willing to pay for any kind of help, thanks in advance. guy

I have one too!

I also have a Sebastian 12x36 lathe that I've had for 20 years and have supplimented
my income with, funny thing is I have no manual or any info on it. Serial number is
100076G, I need the quick change info and speed charts and any info at all.Would
anyone know the chuck spindle size, I measures out at 2.097 by 8 pitch100_3253.jpg Thanks in advance Guy

Ok here we go:
If you go to the Lathes.uk site, you can down load a thread chart. Link is below. However his chart does not show the extended threads. After you get it I will key the extended threads to it.
To set up for extended threads, turn gear C on quadrant over, then set A-B lever to A, then sliding gear on quadrant to center. By the way the size of the original motor was a 1/2 horse.

Thread chart 12 11-1/2 11 10 9 8 7 6-1/2 6 from Lathes.uk
Extended 6 5-1/2 5-1/4 5 4-1/2 4 3-1/2 3-1/4 3

Link to Lathes UK site: Page Title

I am also attaching a picture of the speed plate.

Attachments

• Speed chart.jpg
    Speed chart.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,536
The speed chart sure did not come out the way I originally typed it. I hope this helps. Also D.C.Morrison Co. still has some of the parts for these lathes.

thanks for the info powderhorn, thats great. However you did lose me @ turn gear C on quadrent over,
I have no idea what you mean - sorry but would you mind explaining. i am looking for a operators manual
or copy of it. I am not sure what it means to have the "sliding gear" In - out - or Center. Really appricate
your help, Thanks Guy

I am posting a picture of the gears under your end cover. What the gears are mounted to is called the quadrant ( is moveable to change thread direction). The sliding gear is the one (lower center front) that looks like a handle, and has detent stops. Gear C is the one to the lower left of the sliding gear. If you clean off the gear real good, you will find the letter C stamped into it. By the way these are tear down pictures of it in the middle of the yard, so I have room to work.
For a parts book, send $10.00 to D.C. Morrison Co. they are on the internet, and make a keysetting machine. They are the original makers, untill Sheldon bought them out in 1953.
Picture #1 shows the detent holes for the sliding gear.
picture #2 shows gears from the end.

Attachments

• 100_2175.jpg
    100_2175.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 731
  • 100_2174.jpg
    100_2174.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 687
Thanks so much for that, would you happen to know the
thread pitch and dia. For Chuck spindle? Mine measures out
At 2.097x8 odd size! I need to build a new Chuck backing plate.

Unfortunately, we have an orphan spindle nose thread on these lathes. After a lot of measuring, and head scratching, finally called D.C. Morrison. This model Sebastian has a 2-1/8x8 spindle thread on them. Looks like we have to find something close and make our own. I was hopping when I go this lathe that I got away from doing that, my old lathe had a spindle thread of 1-3/8x12, try and find that thread.

Howdy again, thanks again for the info, I kinda came up with the same thing on the chuck spindle. As far as the gearing gose, I pulled mine completly apart and found the sliding gear glued up and all the oil passages
pluged up on all the others. needless to say after 1/2 a day of cleaning and dressing parts it's like new again
and alot quieter, also the last gear on top left in the back has a "D" stamped on it - nune with a "C" on it ?
your photos look just like mine...............

I tried to ask where I should post on a 12"x36" Sebastian lathe, WWII vintage, on the general forum, and got directed to the Sheldon groups site. This lathe predates the Sheldon purchase of Sebastian, and they are not covered by Sheldon.

You're absolutely welcome here. Sebastian and Sheldon are "real'' lathes. I just felt that the Sheldon site may help you further in your quest.

I also have a WW2 12X36 Sebastian on a wooden cabinet. It to has a war tag.
100_1697.jpg

Lynn

Parts Ordering

Well, it looks as though there a few of us Sebastian owners out there. Just got off the phone with D.C. Morrison, and they said they just received 3 parts orders from 3 different people, they are on a mad scramble to see if they can find the parts for us. They said, that they have not had an order for Sebastian parts for 2 years, then get hit with 3 on the same day.

I just got ahold of a serial # reference sheet, and fond out my lathe was made in 1942. Kindahandy, looks as though yours was built in 1938, then had the retrofit done to it, at some later time. Also looks like this size was discontinued in 1946.

thanks for the info, my serial number is 100076G, could you look that up for me or did you already?
Yes I was also one of the parts orders, need alot of misc. stuff and this forum was quite a help. I also
need to re-change gear head oil per-other posts, I thought gear oil and lucas would be good, thats what
I get for thinking.................

Back