What's new
What's new

Sebastian cone-head lathe FS CL St. Louis

Well, after a year of lurking on this forum, I'm finally able to post.

I am the new owner of this lathe. I picked it up for $100. The PO was my Boy Scout leader back in the day and said it was in his shed when he bought his house in the early 90's but never bothered working on it. Small world..

One knob is broken (no big deal), but I'm going to need to take a look at a possibly-botched repair job on one of the castings. Otherwise, I am going to set it up to run off an electric motor, like so many have done with cone-heads. Like all of my projects, I want to keep it as original as possible, but also functional.

Pictures to come..

So how about bumping a decade old thread?

I still have the Sebastian lathe. It's a 15" x 48". In the decade since I bought it, I've acquired about a zillion other projects and a few more lathes and some mills, but this one has always been on my mind. I have a few electric motor candidates set aside for it. I have some scrap iron and pillow block bearings for making my jackshaft. I recently bought some tooling for it. I also bought a flat belt lacer.

The big missing puzzle piece, which I'm currently looking for, is a cone pulley for the backgear (or jackshaft or whatever you'd call it in this case). I'm considering my options of making one out of wood, but I'm also looking for a good old cast iron item.

What I need is: a flat belt cone pulley with four diameters, 3.5" 5" 6.5" and 8", each step being 2" wide. Would anyone happen to have something like this laying around?

I made a wooden four-step pulley for a B&S mill I owned. It worked just fine. Wood is actually a very good material as it has a better coefficient of friction than cast iron plus you've got a snowballs chance in hell of finding exactly the right countershaft.

Back