Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default to 4GSR

I think I read a post from some time ago that you owned two Sebastians? And you said something to the equivalent that the spindle morse taper was 4-3/4? Maybe a MT5 turned short on length? Well That's about as good of information as I can find anywhere. I'll need to make a MT5 (short) to a 5C collet adapter in the near future. I leave a flange close to the same diameter of the threaded spindle nose to protect the threads. Thanks for you Experience and wisdom, it's extremely hard to find these days. bjr
    Last edited by bjr23; 10-19-2020 at 05:14 PM. Reason: wanted to address a particular poster

2. Likes 4GSR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The lathe I had was a Sheldon Sebastian lathe. More or less a cross bread from Sebastian lathe co. but with Sheldon engineering designed. The taper in the spindle is of that of a no. 5 Mores taper, but at the large end of the taper is around 1.630" diameter. A sstandard no. 5 Morse taper is about 1.75" at the large end. A 4-1/2 Morse taper is about 1.500" at the large end as it is on my 14" Rockwell lathe. So saying all of that, I came up with the Sheldon having a 4-3/4 Morse taper in the spindle. OF course there is no such published information on such an animal. As far as I'm concern, there is. And maybe it came from Sebastian Lathe co. originally. We'll never know. All of the people that knew something about this are no longer with us today. Glad I was able to help out. Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At one time perhaps more than 20 tears ago I got a 5 C collet adapter for a tool and cutter grinder with a# 5 Morse Taper from Royal Products..Royal Products
    You could get them in a number of sizes according to the diameter of the spindle mouth with or without a shoulder flange .
    This would allow you to choose the amount the collet would stick out beyond the spindle mouth .
    You could buy just buy the adapter with out the air closer , draw tube or the Cap.
    I found my old catalogue No.94 from 1994 and scanned a couple of the relevant pages and attached them below
    I don't see any thing like that listed on their site now but you could perhaps inquire if they are still available
    The one I got was not cheap but still much less than I was quoted for a Hardinge with fewer size options .
    Regards,
    Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image-479-.jpg   image-478-.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

BJR23: Did you get the start capacitors to where they would switch off when motor gotup to speed? If no, I may have an answer for you. I have used an ordinary sp/st switch like you turn your bedroom light on with. When I am ready to start the phase converter (10HP), I switch on the extra capacitors with the wall switch and then throw on the power. After about one and a half secondes, when the motor is almost up to speed, I use my toe to turn off the extra switch.

JH

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bjr23 View Post
    Exactly, that's the reason for a double groove pulleys.
    Presuming it is "A" section belts in use, 2 1/2" is still a full inch smaller than where sanity begins as to reasonably efficient power transmission and decent belt longevity. 10EE's use far larger- typically around six or more inch - to where each of two "A" section belts is in the 5 HP capable powr transmission range all by itself.

As there are two belts for a 3 to 5 HP motor generally only being asked for half its rating, the belts typically ROT before they perish from wear.

With that as background, if I had to get down to 2 1/2", I would want to convert from legacy Vee belting to PolyVee or MicroVee AKA "serpentine" belting. Either are far supperior to legacy Vee when small diameter pulleys are needed. See automotive & truck alternators, also superchargers, air or refrigerant compressors, etc.

IF not such a conversion, at least plan for grip-notch belting to better accomodate that 2 1/2" incher's tight wrap.

Plus TWO on use of "QD" or Taperlock bushings, preferably with the grippier and more durable Cast Iron, not steel nor light-metal pulley.

Taper lock bushing/hubs, any "family", are marvelous good at NOT letting fretting wear and wobble even get started on a shaft, Capable of grip so tight the key becomes "optional". Really sweet when time cometh to remove and re-install or simply adjust for belt-path alignment.

I've accumulated a goodly assortment at a fraction of new cost over the years off ebay NOS listings. MMC carries the two most popular families, and in metric bore as well as Inch. That serves to also give you more flexibility at recycling a good motor, either "sex", and no need to do any boring to fit.

Motor shafts are not generally "random" sizes, but even so, a good "QD" can do wonders for a shaft damaged by a prior conventional pulley flopping about for long years- no "machining" required. That is part of why I came to appreciate them as TIME savers as well as shaft savers and hassle reducers.

You are are putting some serious thought and effort into this.

Wise to go the extra mile to insure it is done ONCE, then runs for years, trouble-free, rather than become a nuisance to maintain.

Post Thanks / Like

need to make a MT5 (short) to a 5C collet adapter in the near future
    Would it not make good sense to first see if there can be such a thing as a 5C draw tube that fits through your spindle bore?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by johnoder View Post
    Would it not make good sense to first see if there can be such a thing as a 5C draw tube that fits through your spindle bore?
    There are also draw RODs that will allow use of a 5C with pre-cuts even when the bore is too skinny for drawtube and feeding of bar stock.

There are also "nose-closers" than need no draw device. Key operated, rather. I have two. Slower to operate, but they DO allow use of the full bore - even more than "usual" given there is no tube in it at all - for feeding stock.

Same again ER system, Rubberflex, 2J, and Multi-size. "nose closers" here, every one of them - spindle bore empty.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I go on Vacation in 'bout a month. I save all my time up to take off from Thanksgiving thru Jan 1st. That's when I try to get the lathe up a running. I've been busy winterizing the irrigation systems and sealing doors on a old rental trailer I've rented out. So, not yet. I'm hoping to make some progress this December. Well, again I thank all you for your replies 'cause it means a lot to me to know there has been others that have walked down this road. I was watching some "Van Life" on YouTube where older fixed income types just wander around living in their vans. Besides missing all the amenities of a house and being near the Grand and Great Grandkids, I just can't leave my Lathe and my Milling Machine! So, I'm a victim of my own making. Just stuck here, but, I'm "Okay With That".

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bjr23 View Post
    I go on Vacation in 'bout a month. I save all my time up to take off from Thanksgiving thru Jan 1st. That's when I try to get the lathe up a running. I've been busy winterizing the irrigation systems and sealing doors on a old rental trailer I've rented out. So, not yet. I'm hoping to make some progress this December. Well, again I thank all you for your replies 'cause it means a lot to me to know there has been others that have walked down this road. I was watching some "Van Life" on YouTube where older fixed income types just wander around living in their vans. Besides missing all the amenities of a house and being near the Grand and Great Grandkids, I just can't leave my Lathe and my Milling Machine! So, I'm a victim of my own making. Just stuck here, but, I'm "Okay With That".
    One of two uncles, steam round-and-round, Merchant Marine, Spent War Two in Victory's, icy Murmansk run, never got hit. Picked outer-urban Seattle for a 25 acre ranch, war's end to git warm(er) let the only dotter have her pony. Worked a power plant turbine for years. Kid grew up, married off, he went back to sea, became a multimillionaire by sheerest accident.

Twenty five acres was no longer out of town. Wife said, sure they'd sell-up. But wait 'til Ray was back ashore to check out the deal and sign. He's off slow lapping the whole dam' Pacific rim at about twelve knots, if not in a port dealing with cargo, thinks sod it, it can wait.

They get frantic, keep raising their offer!

Ray figures the price is so high it just HAS to be some sort of scam, will NOT budge 'til he can get eyeball-to-eyeball and finds a better feeling!

Time he gets home it was nine million bucks as the core 25 acres for a new shopping mall!

Too many other changes that were not as welcome, though.