What's new
What's new

Sebastian Gold Seal Geared Head Lathe - Needs a Home

rtwhiteside

Plastic
Howdy nerds,

I dug this beauty out of the back of my treasure trove of a machine shop last week and set to work cleaning it up the best I could to get it ready for its close up. I think she put on a pretty good show!

Pictures: https://flic.kr/s/aHskEyRkAm

This is the first Sebastian lathe I've ever seen and, prior to pulling this thing out of a dark hole, I've never even heard of Sebastian. According to a write up on Lathes.co.uk, this model is likely a late 1920's model that is the result of 25 years of R&D based on their first lathe models.

Seems to be missing the forward and reverse switch and it doesnt appear to have been hooked up or used in 10 years or so. That being said, all the ways are in great shape and the carraige moves as it should and freely! Gave everything a nice WD40 and scotch brite treatment and finished with a nice bath in oil.

Anyone know what a lathe like this is worth? Ive seen WWII era Sebastians go for 2 to 3 thousand in nice condition. I forgot to take a picture of the information plate on the motor but my guess would be a 220v unit.

Its up for grabs, I think a reasonable price is in the $1000 range but Im also here to be corrected if necessary by people who know way more than me (most of you on here).

Anyway, hope you enjoy the pictures and as usual, any information about this lathe is greatly appreciated!

Located in Roanoke, Virginia

Cheers.

more info needed

If I lived closer and was interested I would want to know how long the lathe was, a full length picture would let me estimate that.

Seems very common to have a lot of close up pictures and none that show the full lathe.

Good Luck selling this old lathe.

CarlBoyd

It's just so pretty up close!
If I lived closer and was interested I would want to know how long the lathe was, a full length picture would let me estimate that.

Seems very common to have a lot of close up pictures and none that show the full lathe.

Good Luck selling this old lathe.

CarlBoyd

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back