What's new
What's new

Sebastian lathe

djones3158

Aluminum
Looking for information anyone may have on a Sebastian lathe. Inquiring for a friend that is looking at one for sale. Looks to be about a 10" . I haven 't heard of the company but look to be a decent looking light duty lathe. Any opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance

Sebastian was later acquired by Sheldon, which continued to produce only the gearhead models and you can find some more documentation on them searching for Sheldon.

However, your description of the lathe as "light duty", points me to guess that the lathe your friend bough is one of their cone-head machines.
If I recall correctly, at a certain point they acquired the license to produce one or two models of lathes discontinued from another company (I don't remember if Leblond, Monarch, or something else). You should find more on this in other threads.

Since, in the early days, they produced mostly treadle lathes, a few pictures of the lathe your friend bought would help understanding what he got, in order to give you more relevant info.

Paolo

This particular lathe was never built by Sheldon. True, they took over ownership of Sebastian Lathe Co., but spun it off shortly. Sheldon came up with their own design using some of the ideas of the Sebastian lathe in the newer model. I used to own one of them. This particular one was picked up by D. C. Morrison Co. I don't know if they still support it or not. Look over on Vintage Machinery's website, I believe they have a scan of a parts manual. Can't promise it covers your lathe though. Ken

Back