What's new
What's new

Sebastian Lathe

McLeod12

Plastic
Hi all,
I've been slowly restoring what I believe to be a 1907 Sebastian lathe, based on this post I found:
Photo Index - Sebastian Lathe Co. - Engine Lathe | VintageMachinery.org

I've attached an image of my one as well for reference. It is missing some parts, I presume due to prior disassemblies for transporting and/or rebuilding. Hence I'm after bits listed below. If there's anything I could otherwise adapt or build to make up for these bits, or perhaps parts from other lathes, I'm open to ideas.

Missing parts:
- tailstock
- change gears
- lead screw + mounting hardware
- lead screw apron gearing
- power feed + mounting hardware
- back gear cover

Sebastian Lathe.jpg

You'll have to get creative I expect. I live close to where this machine was made, and doubt I could turn up loose parts in a similar situation. The age and place of manufacture added into your NZ location really compound the problem.

Welcome to PM!

Tailstock- Find one you can cut down/build up to fit, or just fab from scratch.

Change gears- you need to figure out diametrical pitch of existing gears, if lucky there are off the shelf gears you can make fit, if unlucky you have to make them, or search ebay.

Lead screw- find someplace in Oz that sells acme thread, make it fit, make mounting hardware

Power feed- need more info on what is missing

Back gear cover- ebay

Did some work on one of the photos in the VM link - if you have one of these around that would take away a bunch of head scratching

Thread Chart.jpg

Sir. Call DC Morrison. Ask for chuck. They own the Sebastian lathe works. They have boxes of original manufactured parts for the Sebastian lathes. I replaced two gears in the head stock. If they have it. Chuck will find it. And if they do not have it the have the blue prints for them. Be ready to bring money. Good luck. Dunsmuir Red. Oh yah. DC Morrison phone # (859) 581-7511

Back