What's new
What's new

Sebastian lathe

Dunsmuir Red

Plastic
I have just came in to possession of a Sebastian 12X36 lathe.
It has some gears in the head stock that are chewed up. The previous owner was changing gears while motor was running. Tryin to find some replacement parts and a three jaw chuck.
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

You might also try and find gears with the same diametric pitch, and as long as they match dp and are okay thickness wise, you can always bush them if the bores are larger, or bore them if the bores are small.

It's a nice head start as opposed to hobbing a gear from scratch..........not that there is anything wrong with that.

Steve.

Sent from my LM-G900TM using Tapatalk

This site sucks to navagate. Sorry it won't let me put up any pictures.

For the site to take you pictures, you must reduce the size of them by a lot in most cases. I find it easier to reduce the size to 30% from your phone via email to your computer, then post here. Ken

Have to ask, is your lathe the Sebastian lathe? Or is it the later Sheldon-Sebastian Lathe that was built by Sheldon. If it is the later one, I have posted drawings to most of the gears in the headstock over on the Sheldon Lathe group on the io.groups.com.

For the site to take you pictures, you must reduce the size of them by a lot in most cases. I find it easier to reduce the size to 30% from your phone via email to your computer, then post here. Ken

Have to ask, is your lathe the Sebastian lathe? Or is it the later Sheldon-Sebastian Lathe that was built by Sheldon. If it is the later one, I have posted drawings to most of the gears in the headstock over on the Sheldon Lathe group on the io.groups.com.

Dear sir. Yes it is an original Sebastian late circa 1942.
The serial number# 32223 it has a brass tag on the front that used to have writings on it but somebody cleaned it a little to hard. I am going to try and upload some pics once again.IMG_20220117_004455.jpg

Update on Sebastian lathe.
Hello all. I have been doing my research and my previous info on the Sebastian is it is a 16X48.
NO 12X36. It has babbitt bearings instead of sealed units. I have completely takin apart, cleaned, and painted and am assembling the unit. Out of the three gears (in the headstock) only one is pretty well nirched.
I have takin it off the shaft it rides on in the lathe and have built the teeth back up by stick welding and a file. It no longer sounds like somebody dragging a bag of chains down the freeway behind a vehicle.
I am interested in asking if anybody may have the little gear indicator that tells you to engage the half nut for cutting threads. Any help us good help.
Thank you all.....
Dunsmuir Red...

You may want to start a new post and show the repaired teeth on your gear.

Other people encounter busted teeth and come here to find answers. You may be able to help someone else.

Back