What's new
What's new

Second Hendey Already! 12x30 18 speed for parts

Hartkem

Aluminum
About a month ago I brought home a 12 speed gear head 12x30 and I’m deep into restoration on it. Bed and stands have been stripped and repainted. Working on headstock reversing mechanism now as the shaft had some scoring but still usable. I knew I was missing some minor items like the lower stand motor door cover and the quick change gearbox cover. I had also found a crack in the apron casting just below the half nuts. I think this can be repaired. Well, long story short I ran a-crossed a 12-30 18 speed for $400 and just bought it for parts. Don’t have it home yet. I figured it could give me some insurance against not being able to repair the apron or anything else major like a gear damaged. Now I know there are differences but can anyone tell me if the aprons are the same and can be swapped? How about upgrading to the better QC gearbox. My 12 speed has the BB spindle bearings with dual speed motor for Top speed of 1195. I don’t kneed two lathes but if I don’t need to rob any major parts that could happen. I do not have the serial.
12x30 18 speed - Album on Imgur

18 speed QC and range box look entirely different than the stuff on the 12 speed. Would not seem to be plug and play

I always supposed - since it looks that way - that the range box and QC on the 12 speed was same as that on the old cone heads - decidedly not a high speed design (no onboard lube system, no anti friction bearings)

Probably wrong, but who knows.

You will be in a position to clarify

Last edited:
I was watching that one as I'm looking for an 18 speed machine. I didn't like how 2 of the sight glasses are missing or that the seller could not come up with the s/n. I think parts interchange may depend on the year of each machine. I'm sure Hendeyman would could advise more on that.

I was watching that one as I'm looking for an 18 speed machine. I didn't like how 2 of the sight glasses are missing or that the seller could not come up with the s/n. I think parts interchange may depend on the year of each machine. I'm sure Hendeyman would could advise more on that.

Yeah I saw them missing as well. I mostly bought it for apron parts in case mine can’t be repaired. I’ll update the thread with serial number when I pick it up next Thursday. I was one of two bids. Were you the other one?

Yeah I saw them missing as well. I mostly bought it for apron parts in case mine can’t be repaired. I’ll update the thread with serial number when I pick it up next Thursday. I was one of two bids. Were you the other one?

No sir that was not me, machine was too much of a gamble but I also wasn't interested just for parts either. Glad to see a member here got it and hope it supplies the parts you need.

Update: I have the lathe in my possession and found the serial number stamped in the face of the way. Serial is 38224 H1244. I’ve briefly looked It over and the ways appear to be in very good condition. Quick glance in the headstock and all looks ok as well As the gears near the belt drive. I think the ways on this one are better condition than my 12 speed. It may be more of a candidate for restore than for parts. I know I should follow through with my 12 speed restore but I have to admit I’m tempted to dive into this one.

Back