What's new
What's new

The "SECOND" Micrometer

AntiqueMac

Hot Rolled
This thread was planned earlier by Rivett608 and myself as a follow-on to continue the discussion here about the development of micrometers that we use today.

First, please be sure to read the thread on the Palmer micrometer - the first universal micrometer - Here:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...torically-important-micrometer-palmer-220198/

The "second" mass produced micrometer is apparently the Brown & Sharpe "Pocket Sheet Metal Gauge":

After returning from an 1867 Paris Exposition and seeing an example of the apparently mass produced Systeme Palmer micrometer patented Sept. 7, 1848 (almost 20 years before 1867), J. R Brown & Lucien Sharpe went to work to create a new version.

First seen (to my knowledge, so far anyway) in the December 30, 1868 issue of American Artisan, Brown & Sharpe is said to combined the "Systeme Palmer" concepts with concepts from the a measuring tool from a Bridgeport brass company (Wilmont's micrometer made by Laws). It looks like a smaller, improved design of the Palmer to me. I'm unclear what was taken from the funky, spiral measuring lines of the Wilmont/Laws mic. I might have been the design of the frame and the use of knurling on the spindle???

Indeed, it took B&S another 10 years (1877) produce a 1 inch micrometer version - which Palmer had and likely had larger ones too!

But, no matter. The B&S "Pocket Sheet Metal Gauge" was manufactured under the mass producing capabilities of that company and sold cheap enough that it was very successful.

Here are some pictures of the result:

BrownSharpe-SheetMetalGauge-KS3.jpg

BrownSharpe-SheetMetalGauge-KS4.jpg

BS1-micrometer2.jpg

And, here are more modern examples above an early version:

BrownSharpe-SheetMetalGauge-KS2.jpg

Note the early versions shape and knurling designs. And note that later versions developed into paper as well as other micrometers.

It is interesting to think about the possibility that the Palmer micrometer might have come to be because of the need of the music wire industry, while the B & S Pocket Sheet Metal Gauge was developed for the sheet metal industry. Was one developed to make the tone of the wire correct while the other to ensure accurately filled sales?

Note the April 22, 1878 patent is for the Victory SM Co micrometer patented by George Pratt and bought by Brown & Sharpe. To my knowledge the original 1868 "Pocket Sheet Metal Gauge" was never patented.

:cheers:

It looks like the Palmer show in the prior post will actually measure a thickness, maybe 2cm worth?

Does this first B&S measure say 0-1/2 inch or is it more like and adjustable go/nogo gauge? I never handled one and dont see how the body is calibrated. Ahh, I see a "0" so it must.

Nice little collection there. I guess my odds of finding one at outdoor flea are pretty slim. But, I'll be looking :)

Peter,

The "Pocket Sheet Metal Gauge" micrometer caliper has a useful range of about .25 inches. It took another 10 years before B&S made a micrometer with an inch range.

And, yep, there is a "0", and a 1, 2 and 3 on the sleeve.

I found all of mine at flea markets or antique shows and I see the modern version of them occasionally on eBay, but they are pretty scarce. The early version (the bottom one in the group of 3 above) with the rope knurling is really scarce. One sold on eBay maybe a month ago, but it was really trashed. I've seen maybe 10 since 1996 on eBay.

I should mention, when he gets time, Rivett will post a picture of the earliest version, showing a slightly more rounded frame.

I have never studied these much, my guess it the earliest would have a frame like the one I am posting but with out the patent date..... I mean it came out in '67 and the patent is the Victor patent (?) from '78........ what would be interesting is when they switched to thicker (I'll call it that) frame and when they started numbering them, and what is the deal with the # 71..... I think it was Ed Battison who told me that B & S had a lot of forging made and just kept them in the catalog till they all sold.... something around 1905.

Notice the frame is more rounded on the edges, it has a deeper "U". and the flat sides are a little thinner....... it also feels so much nicer in your hand.... just more elegant.

DSCN8287.jpg

Here is a early engraving of it...

mic.jpg

Here it is with on with other frame but it still has the rope knurl...

DSCN8278.jpg

And their backs...

DSCN8284.jpg

Rob,

Please post a couple of sharp pictures of your example. No doubt in my mind that yours and Rivetts are earlier than mine. But, we would like to see if there are any differences between yours and Rivetts.

Here is the picture of the well used one that sold on eBay recently, provided here so we can compare it too.

BS-SheetMetalGage-1.jpg

BS-SheetMetalGage-2.jpg

FYI,

Although I categorized the "Pocket Sheet Metal Micrometer" above as well used, it brought a hammer price of $189.47 on Feb. 20, 2011!

Using the The Fine Tool Journal's Condition Chart for the mics condition, I would rate it as "Fair". You can read the chart yourself here:
https://www.finetoolj.com/condition_chart.html

And of the 19 bids, there were three bidders over $150! So, search your tool drawers, flea markets and estate sales for one!

Rob,

Great pics of a very early model, likely the first type made. I am very jealous, but am cheered by the fact that Rivett doesn't have one that early!!!!!!

So, was this one found in Minn.?????

Last edited by a moderator:
John and Rivett, Thank you for cleaning up the thread. To provide a shareable and useable source of information, it is great to keep this about the "Pocket Sheet Metal Gauge" only.

Below is a time line for identifying the age of a Brown & Sharpe "Pocket Sheet Metal Gauge". The information was supplied by a friend who has done considerable research.

For the sake of starting a discussion, I think we should label this a "Markings Type Study". So.....

A Markings Type Study, Brown & Sharpe's "Pocket Sheet Metal Gauge":

"1. Examples without a patent date and without a model number date from
1868 to 1883.

2. Examples stamped with the “April 23, 1878” patent date, but without a

model number, date from 1884 to 1887.

3. Examples stamped with both the “April 23, 1878” patent date and the

“No. 1” date from 1888 to 1898.

4. Examples without a patent date, but stamped with the “No. 1,” date

from 1899 to 1911. Sometime around 1903, the knurling

on the end of the thimble was changed from “rope knurling” to “cross

hatch” knurling.

5. Examples without a patent date, but stamped with the model “No. 221”

date from 1912 to c1919. These examples have “cross

hatch” knurling.

By 1920, Brown & Sharpe was no longer offering this micrometer.
"

As it should be, he who presents the very first 'Type Study' of any tool is likely to see the results change quite a bit over time as more information is uncovered. So, please, show us your anomalies to the above.

I'll post some descriptive detail about changes in the gauge in a future post.

And a question I'd like to get answered, which may require conjecture is why did Brown & Sharpe put the George Pratt, Victor SM Co. micrometer's patent date on the Pocket Sheet Metal Gauge??????

Please - Please if you have not yet, post picture of your example in this thread.

I'm still hoping for some more pictures from other PM'ers. If you are too busy to take and post pictures, how about at least giving us a sound off if you own a B&S Pocket Sheet Metal Gauge???? And, it would be even better if you took a stab at the age based on the above post's description. That way we can get a count of them in the PM population at least.

When I asked my friend, who has studied this micrometer probably more than anyone else, about the numbers extant he opined:

"I would say that on average one B & S Pocket Sheet Metal Gauge shows up in Rhode Island every year. After all, it was the home of the Brown & Sharpe company....... I would guess that somewhere around 200 examples still exist with perhaps 75 more still buried in peoples cellars or garages."

And, my friend provided a interesting note about examples that have the ratchet stop feature:

"This particular ratchet stop was made under Herman Bernhardt's patent (Nov. 6 1894) and was first offered for use on B & S micrometers the in 1897 B & S catalog. But, it is interesting that none of the catalog entries through 1915 for either the #1 Sheet Metal Gauge or the #71 Paper Gauge ever mentioned the option of buying the ratchet stop, nor was there a price for it. The option was available (as seen on examples), but perhaps Brown & Sharpe didn't consider these two small micrometers as prime candidates for the stop?"

I hope this is of interest to some?

And, my goal is to keep this thread solely about the B & S #1 Pocket Sheet Metal Gauge. But......IMHO the #71 B & S Paper Gauge micrometer is the same product, only with big "lips"!

I have information about it and plan to post it here unless there are objections. In that case, I would start another thread.

OK, Here is some information on the Brown & Sharpe No.71 (and 221) "Small Paper Gauge" micrometer, which, sans the big "lips" appears to be an identical twin
to the Pocket Sheet Metal Gauge (#1).

The following was compiled by a long time B & S researcher and friend.

"The earliest small size Paper Gauge Micrometers are not marked with
a model number, but they do have the “April 23, 1878” patent date. The
examples that have the model number “No. 71” date from 1897 to 1912.
The example of the No. 71 that AntiqueMac owns and shown on the PM site dates
to 1904 to 1912. Sometime around 1904 the knurling on the end of the
thimble changes from “rope knurling” to “cross hatch knurling.” The
example of the No. 71 that Rivett608 owns and shows on the PM site
dates to 1897 to 1904. His example has the “rope knurling.” Both AntiqueMac's and
Rivett's have examples that have a Ratchet Stop. This particular ratchet stop,
made under Herman Bernhardt’s patent of Nov. 6, 1894, was first offered
for use on B. & S. micrometers in the 1897 B. & S. catalog. But it is
interesting that none of the catalog entries through 1915 for either the No.
71 Paper Gauge or the No. 1 Sheet Metal Gauge ever mention the
option of buying with a Ratchet Stop or give a price for this option. The
option was available but I guess Brown & Sharpe didn’t consider these
two small micrometers as prime candidates for the ratchet stop. See
below for a quick Catalog Time Line for the No. 71.

1. 1888 catalog:

The Brown & Sharpe small Paper Gauge Micrometer is first shown in the
1888 Brown & Sharpe Catalog. Its title in the catalog listing is “Micrometer
Calipers with Large Measuring Surfaces
.” There is no model number in the
catalog description. The catalog description includes the “April 23, 1878” patent
date. The tool cut in 1888 shows rope knurling on end of thimble and the price is given $5.50.
2. 1889 and 1892 catalogs:

The entries are the same as in the 1888 catalog.

3. 1893 catalog:

Surprisingly the Pager Gauge Micrometer is not listed.

4. 1895 catalog:

The title in the catalog listing is “Paper Gauge Micrometer
Caliper No. 1
.” This is the first catalog entry that shows a model number. The
catalog description includes the “April 23, 1878” patentdate.The 1895 description reads in part: “…This Paper Gauge Micrometer Caliper, or Micrometer Caliper with Large Measuring Surfaces, is shown full size in cut and measures all sizes less than one-quarter inch by thousandths of an inch… This size is particularly well adapted for the pocket.” The tool cut in 1895 shows rope knurling on end of thimble.

5. 1897 catalog:

The title in the catalog listing is “Paper Gauge Micrometer
Caliper No. 71
.” The catalog description includes the “April 23, 1878” patentdate.The tool cut in 1895 shows rope knurling on end of thimble.

6. 1899, 1900, 1901, 1902, 1903, 1904, 1906 and 1909 catalogs:

The entries are the same as in the 1897 catalog.

7. 1911 catalog:

There is a new tool cut in the 1911 catalog that shows cross hatch
knurling on end of thimble.

8. 1913 catalog:

In 1913, the model number changes. It is now “Paper Gauge
Micrometer Caliper No. 231
.” Same tool cut as in the 1911 catalog, with the
cross hatch knurling on end of thimble.

9. 1915 catalog:

Same as 1913 catalog.

10. By 1920, Brown & Sharpe no longer offered this micrometer."

And, for those who might wonder why Brown & Sharpe changed the model number designation from "71" to "221", here is a good guess. It appears to be that with the creation of graduated sets of "C" frame micrometers, the company needed the "71" number to fill in its line of these from 59 through 76. The No. 71 became a 6-7 inch capacity micrometer in that sequence.

So, comparing Type for Type, are the "lips" the only differences anyone sees between the No. 1 and No. 71??

The following is the last of the information based on Brown & Sharpe catalog entries that I received from a friend mentioned earlier in this thread. I have consolidated and formatted it.

And, note this is only about the "Pocket Sheet Metal Gauge" (or later called the " No. 1"), not the Paper Gauge No. 71.

Additional Catalog/Circular Timeline for the Brown & Sharpe

Pocket Sheet Medal Gauge

No. 1

1. 1868 Advertising Circular: (note, not listed in any catalog before 1869)
a. title is “Pocket Sheet Metal Gauge”;
b. describes it’s capacity as 0-3/10ths;
c. has a 34 line descriptive text and a table titled “Tables for Use
in Connection with the “Pocket Sheet Metal Gauge”;
d. the full page cut is on side 4 of a 4 sided, 4 page circular;
e. the tool cut in the 1868 circular is the tool image that is used in subsequent B. & S. catalogs until 1911.

2. 1869 Catalog:
a. first catalog entry (page 21)

3. 1880 through 1887 Catalogs:
a. descriptive title is the same as earlier circulars, “Pocket Sheet Metal Gauge”;

4. 1880 through 1909 Catalogs:
a. the image of the “Pocket Sheet Medal Gauge” micrometer is the same in all Brown & Sharpe catalogs as well as their advertising circulars;

5. 1888 Catalog:
a. title becomes “Micrometer Caliper No. 1”in the descriptive heading – with a smaller subtitle, “Pocket Sheet Metal Gauge”;
b. the “April 23, 1878” patent date is first included in the descriptive text.

6. 1898: (and later - no patent dates shown in the catalog entries).

7. 1911 Catalog: There is a new tool image. Here is a comparison:
a. the earlier image shows a frame with a deeper inside opening;
b. the earlier image shows a frame with walls that are narrower in width;
c. the earlier image shows rope knurling on the end of the thimble;
d. first stamping of “No. 1” on the frame;
e. the new image first shows cross hatch knurling on the thimbles end;

8. 1913 through 1916 Catalogs:
a. title is changed to “Micrometer Caliper No. 221” with a smaller sub-title in brackets “Pocket Sheet Metal Gauge”.

9. 1920 Catalog:
a. does not show a Pocket Sheet Metal Gauge.

Please let me know if you see any inconsistencies between this content and the "Pocket Sheet Metal Gauge" "Type Study" based on the micrometers marking above.

Rivett,

Thank you! Our friend who worked on gathering the raw dating and catalog description information deserves much of the credit. I don't think anyone else has access to the information he has. It covered about 4 pages of typed data, plus another 4 pages of a PDF file he sent.

I hope my consolidation into a Roger K. Smith style of "Type Study" holds up, but if not, please sound off here and we'll correct the data.

Sooooooooo.......As a first try at using the Type Study, I'm going to point folks to a Martin J. Donnelly tool auction coming up April 16th in Nashua, NH.

Look at a No 1., Pocket Sheet Metal Gauge for sale here:

Nashua Spring International Catalogue Antique Tool Auction

Because it has a patent date and the "No. 1" both stamped on it, I would judge it to be a "Type 3".

Who knows, minty in an original case, it could bring the estimate of $300-$600.

(Disclaimer - I have no affiliation to Martin Donnelly, his auctions or to this micrometer. He is a super seller of antique tools and I strongly suggest if you love them or want to learn about them read his informative and sometimes amusing descriptions on his web site at Martin J. Donnelly Antique Tools )

I have a no. 71 paper micrometer without ratchet stop. It has the patent date on the back side. Unfortunately, the mic has been abused to the point where I have no idea what the knurling looked like.

I also have a paper micrometer with ratchet stop which does not have a model number. It has "Brown & Sharpe Mfg. Co Providence, R.I. U.S.A. on one side and the square/BS trademark on the other side. This one has diagonal knurling.

Back