What's new
What's new

Seneca Falls 1896 Apron removal etc

Senecafalls9

Plastic
Have an old SF 1896 9 inch that I’m in the process of learning to use. Appears to be in great shape, but wish to disassemble and clean the swarf and old grease from it.

Short of removing the lead screw, what is the best way to remove the apron?

Are the any old “operating manuals” available? All I can find are catalogs.

The lead screw is not hard to remove , had mine out a couple of time in 30 years. Support the apron and undo the slot head screws, its heavier then you think. As far as manuals they did not make them. There are a couple of utube videos one where the guy changes the lead screw direction under power by shifting the reverse lever dont do that or you will be learning how to fix gears

Thank you!

One reason I want to remove the apron is to look over the gears better and clean swarf etc. I’ve heard that one needs to be careful with the feed and levers or one might possibly have them bind up. Thought I’d have a look and see how it all works. :-)

QUOTE=flatbelt;3705126]The lead screw is not hard to remove , had mine out a couple of time in 30 years. Support the apron and undo the slot head screws, its heavier then you think. As far as manuals they did not make them. There are a couple of utube videos one where the guy changes the lead screw direction under power by shifting the reverse lever dont do that or you will be learning how to fix gears[/QUOTE]

This is correct - those machines have no lockout to prevent the feeds and halfnuts being engaged at the same time. If done under power the geartrain locks up, and the left side leadscrew bracket takes the hit.

Back