Shaper owners - Page 36
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread: Shaper owners

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have an Averbeck shaper w/ 21" stroke that was the very first machine I ran as a machinist. I started out after school at my grandfathers tool & die shop. He always liked to remind me, I had completed schooling, but now I was working on my education.

That machine still gets used for the odd job. I keep it around even though floor space is at a premium. It doesn't really make me any money, but it sure has paid for itself. (Think it cost me ~$400) It has even saved the ass of the company I used to work for. Their multi million dollar tool room (where I worked) was having issues putting in blind keyways in a coupler for one of the presses. They were trying to sink them with an EDM, and 8hrs in a friend asked if we could do it on my shaper. So we snuck them out and ran home, off the clock, and cut the keyways. Took us about 2 hours to put in 2 keyways and machine the keys. Press was $800/hr down time.... my friend got a $15 gift card to Applebees

I also have a 7" Atlas that was in my grandfathers shop in his basement. He made all sorts of crazy things on it I still have not figured out how he made them! Wish I had saved a few of the scrap pieces.

I just hauled a Klopp home for a friend img_9992.jpg

If anyone has any info, documentation, he would be appreciative!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am in the process of rebuilding a Logan 8" shaper and run into something I cannot explain.
    Not the problem mentioned, but I've read of the vari drive dying, I think they were made of Bakelite so it could be predicted.
    Mine is running good but when/if it starts to die I'll install a cog belt and VDF. If I do I'll aim for a lower speed ratio since VDF's don't have much torque at low speeds.
    Other than that the other gripe I have about the Logan is the chain drive, while it's a good power transmission for some duties a final drive of a metal shaper is not one of them IMO. Beyond that I like the Logan a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have one Indian make 2010 model 750mm stroke shaper + One 800mm stroke USSR shaper of late 80's & a indian make 3000mm stroke planner

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by c.n.c.m.a.n View Post
    I have one Indian make 2010 model 750mm stroke shaper + One 800mm stroke USSR shaper of late 80's & a indian make 3000mm stroke planner
    Wow! A shaper with a 10 foot stroke? PICTURES! PICTURES!

Matt

5. Likes Davo J liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Maguire View Post
    Wow! A shaper with a 10 foot stroke? PICTURES! PICTURES!

Matt
    Hi
    If it is planer then the tool remains stationary and the work is mounted on a moving table.
    http://img.weiku.com/IMG_1//0000/144...ng_Machine.jpg

Quite a different machine to a shaper.

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post

If anyone has any info, documentation, he would be appreciative!
    There is a German manual here: http://www.ardiehl.de/Steinel/Klopp_375-550.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jpt View Post
    Thank you sir!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Vermont
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have an AAMCO 7", made during WWII, as it has a plaque indicating is was made with permission of (I believe without going and looking at it)the War Production Board. I bought it from a high school for not a lot of money. It doesn't have its belt guards or the original vice, though I sure would like to find one in decent shape that isn't more than I paid for the whole machine! It's versatile and fun to use, but slow. My favorite quote about shapers is that you can make anything with them, except money. I keep my eyes open and someday hope to find a great deal on a large shaper, but I have to build more space before I get serious about looking for one.