What's new
What's new

Shaper work ideas, stories

M. Moore

Titanium
Hello all, I have been given the chance to own an Invicta 20" shaper. I am looking for information on what these machines can do. I do know how they operate and I did use one in high school but that was a long time ago and I would like to know more about them. I did a search here and got only limited information. This would be a great thread to have for those interested in keeping shaping "alive". I guess mainly this is a topic for those with "OIS" (old iron syndrome).
So tell me what you have and what jobs (paid or not) you have done with your shaper. Pics would be great too.
Thanks
Michael Moore

I have a 12" Steptoe-Western that I have used a lot. In fact, I have been forcing myself to use it more lately. I had done lots of planing work and some gearcutting, but had never done any contour work or milling type work with it until the past couple of months.

One good quick project is T nuts. Just cut shoulders on a stick of steel, then drill and tap, finally cutting them apart. To increase the acuracy and parallelism of the sides, and to get a bit more education, I cut the shoulders without removing the work, so I had to use a left and right hand cutter. This involves grinding both handed cutters and setting the clapperbox properly.

The shaper shines on straight line work where you have an odd shape to create. Dovetails being a good example. You can grind a single tooth tool for a few bucks and cut your job for far less than the cost of a dovetail endmill cutter.

M.M I sure cant help you in the operation of your shaper but I just recently bought an Invicta shaper, so I too am interested in what you find out here. I do have a manual that came with it, i can dig it out if that would be any help. I think it covered 2 or 3 machines. I think mine is a 2m but would have to check
Dave

the application is limited by your imagination. I don't have any pics, but I have a couple we use on some production jobs, one is cleaning up the edge of a forging, the other is doing a blind slot that can't be milled. Blind internal keys, thru internal keys, planing off short work, cutting off as was mentioned earlier, a shaper is a powerful tool.

Hello all, ... So tell me what you have and what jobs (paid or not) you have done with your shaper. Pics would be great too.
Thanks
Michael Moore

I have an Elliott Invicta 24". Presently I am making tooling so I can use it for more than doing flat surfaces.

Here is a picture of an aluminum bracket that holds the Cover Plate over a Newall scale on my Compound (DS&G 1342 lathe).
CompoundBracket.jpg

One holder still requires a square .5" hole so that it will hold a HS toolsteel cutter. I don't have any pictures yet but it will either turn out as a square hole or as a mess of bent broken parts.

I have used flat Cobalt blades to cut up to 3" thick but I did flip the piece to minimize the blade extension. I also broke blades trying to cut up to 3" thick mild steel.

Raymond

I have a gould and eberhardt 20 inch universal shaper. I don't know much about shapers, so what I am about to ask is probably a dumb question. I was just wondering what if anything is special about a universal shaper. Also, I need the wrench that fits into the cross feed for the table as mine was missing when I got the machine. It has 4 slots that fit into a round hole to crank it back and forth.

A place the shapers shine is for cutting the bevels on plates for weld test coupons. The tool marks on the bevels must run parallel to the direction of stress in the weld, especially when the weld test coupons will be given a guided bend test. A shaper is the ideal machine for giving a good surface finish with the tool marks all parallel to the direction of stress in the weld. Use a face mill cutter to bevel a weld test coupon and it has to be ground and polished with fine emery flap wheels to bring things into specs for a weld test coupon.

We had a 24" stroke Rockford Hy-draulic shaper. It was a great machine tool and could really hog off the steel on all kinds of jobs. Unfortunately, the younger mechanics were intimidated by it and of the "Bridgeport Mindset", so the shaper went. we got it for a locomotive resoration project. It is the ideal machine to machine drive box shoes and wedges and crosshead shoes. Again, this isbecause the tool marks all are parallel and in the direction of motion the parts see in service. with the universal table on the Rockford Hy-Draulic shaper, it is a very easy machine to set up to do the shoes and wedges.

We buy our weld coupons nowadays at the powerplant. the outfit that furnishes them produces the bevels on a Rockford Hy-Draulic planer, doing ganged setups of many coupons at a time.

A shaper is an amazing machine and quite under-estimated or dismissed nowadays. You can grind a form toolbit to do all kinds of jobs a whole lot easier and cheaper than chasing after custom-ground milling cutters. Overseas, I had to deal with some broken gears on a lathe. I needed the lathe to make anchor bolts and parts for a stationary diesel engine and generator we were erecting. There was an old G & E shaper. We built up the busted gears with braze metal. No dividing head, so we simply clamped the gears to the front of the shaper table, using structural steel and anything we could grab. I ground a form toolbit, and lined thing sup by eye. Downfed the toolbit carefully and shaped the gear teeth a little undersized. Since we'd used bronze brazing to repair the teeth, they were then 'run in"- cold forming the bronze repaired teeth against the orginal iron and steel teeth on the undamaged mating gears. We made alot of parts on the lathe we'd repaired, and we got a stationary powerplant going thanks to that shaper.

I am always amazed at what the Rockford Hy-Draulic shaper peeled off without breathing hard, while a regular mill would be pushing its envelope. I've used the Rockford Hy-Draulic shaper on scaly heavy steel plate, peeling though areas that were flame cut, or through weld to machine things down. Stuff that would tear up a milling cutter or at least make for some real tough going didn;t seem to faze the Rockford Hy-Draulic shaper with a good toolbit.

In my own lifetime, I've seen jobs where an internal keyway of good size either had to be repaired (builtup with weld, remachined) or simply cut fresh. Too big to broach, not that anyone was about to spend the cash to buy some huge broach, let alone have a press to move it. The solution was the shaper with a boring bar. Those shops did not have slotters ( a vertical variation of a shaper), and a simple shaper was handy for cutting internal keyways.

We used Hendey and Cinncinnati shapers in brooklyn Technical High School in the 60's. No one thought anything of turning us kids loose on shapers back then. We were taught the anatomy of a conventional shaper, and we thought they were cool machines. Nowadays, people tend to relegate the shaper to the back corner of the shop and forget it ever existed. These same people are of the CNC and DRO mindset, so I guess shapers are not in their thinking.

Joe Michaels

RDL,

" have an Elliott Invicta 24". Presently I am making tooling so I can use it for more than doing flat surfaces."

Got any photo's??

Excellent, I thought some shaper folks would crawl out from under their chips!
D Kirby, I think I have a new friend. If I can get the Invicta home!!
I don't know if it has a manual and or what "m" it is.

Hmmmm, anybody ever mount a cnc control to a shaper? Maybe that would make them more popular again!!

Keep it coming.
Love the PM!!

I have lately been doing metal checkering on the tops of 1911 colt slides, as well as using the shaper to flat top the slide before checkering .

I also use it for "french cuts" on the side of the slide. This is done with what is basically a 60* thread cutting bit turned sideways. This is one example of where a .50 cent shaper bit doing the work of a $50.00 60* double angle milling cutter.

A lot of the slides I work on are made of 5xxx series heat treated steel, very hard on H.S.S. cutters. The shaper bit costs nothing to sharpen, the end mill costs me $50.00 because I don't have the tooling or skills to sharpen it.

I have lately been doing metal checkering on the tops of 1911 colt slides, as well as using the shaper to flat top the slide before checkering .

I also use it for "french cuts" on the side of the slide. This is done with what is basically a 60* thread cutting bit turned sideways. This is one example of where a .50 cent shaper bit doing the work of a $50.00 60* double angle milling cutter.

A.

got any photo's you can post? Why not use a carbide cutter?
MM

What is a universal shaper, just out of curiousity, and where can I get a crank handle for a g&e that moves my table on mine across? It has 4 tangs on the screw that cranks the table back and forth and I don't have this handle.

Universal shaper is typically marked by a table that pivots on an axis. IOW if you stare the business end of the ram in the eye, then look down, there should be a feature like a large pivot pin seen underneath the table surface. The advantage of course is that you can setup an angle quickly and "cancel" the angle with the table....the disadvantage is that when using for square and parallel, the surface must be indicated to be parallel to the machine-way.

Relative to setting up the clapper box, the idea is that the tool must not dig in going backwards. So...you set the arc-slot behind the clapper box so that the tool swings away from the work...stand there and visualize and do this with your hand with the power off. Sometimes it's difficult but convince yourself when you're right when the depth of cut would go to zero and then the toolbit would lift off the work were it set there while the cut was happening.

So tell me what you have and what jobs (paid or not) you have done with your shaper. Pics would be great too.
Thanks
Michael Moore

I have a 10" Royal shaper (grandfather of the Elliot 10M).

Since my milling machine is still a project, it gets used for all of the flat work that doesn't involve pocketing, Woodruff cutters etc. Last weekend it got used to make a knee gib for... the milling machine.

Until I got a 5"x7" bandsaw, I used a home-made saw frame that held a 14" machine hacksaw blade in the clapper. With the vertical feed, it would quite happily chomp its way through 5" 4340. The hardest part was lifting the 200lb length stock up to the table and vice:eek:

Here it is on a trial to cut the rack pinion for my HLV:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adRlGffXM5k

I forgot to film the production of the final pinion. The significant thing on this was that the pinion to match the existing 22/29DP 20deg stub form of the rack. I ground a single point rack cutter to do the job on the shaper, instead of the 14.5deg full form B&S cutters I used for all the other gears. The fixtures to hold the pinion and the steel shim used to rotate the pinion were knocked up out of 2" square stock on the shaper.

It's not a big machine, but with the right cutter, it'll happily take .150" roughing cuts. With cast iron or steel finishing cutter (different shapes) it'll produce a surface that just needs finish scraping for final fit.

I'm a 'wannabe' shaper owner. I've been reading about them quite a bit on the web.

Since nobody's mentioned it, Yahoo has a Shaper Group.

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Metal_Shapers/

Don't ask me why it's in "finance".

Another neat thing a shaper can do is to spline shafts.

The table holds a dividing head, and on some models, the body of the shaper has a hole through it below the ram, level with the table. This way, the chips come off the end of the shaft instead of dead-ending in the middle of the shaft.

You really dont need us to tell you why you should get a shaper you are just looking for excuses you know in your heart that you wont be able to stop obsessing about one until you have that big lump sitting in your shop. I know this because I have a 20 inch cincinatti and it has filled a big void in my life. Now I can sleep at night because I have one. I took it one step further it had to be a universal or I would be wishing it was a unversal. I totally fixed mine all up shes a real beaut too battleship grey with white lettering and brass gaurds.

RDL,

" have an Elliott Invicta 24". Presently I am making tooling so I can use it for more than doing flat surfaces."

Got any photo's??

Michael,

Good idea. Before I attempt the square hole cut I should take a picture because if something is amiss well there will be some bent metal. Initial thought was to finish the tool and some holders before taking pictures.

Raymond

Back