What's new
What's new

Shapers - Logan vs Brodhead-Garrett J-line

Dtapster

Aluminum
Relatively new to the forum and am looking at a couple of shapers. Looking for information and comments; I have a few questions about the two in the title. Am I in the correct section?

Thanks,

Doug

The moderators may move this to the antique machinery section, which is where discussion of shapers is allowed.

Thanks - good to know I'm in the right category. Here's the situation; I'm looking at two shapers for sale, both here in my small town (yes, very fortunate, I know.) Both sellers are friends of mine and they also are friends with each other. One machine is a Logan and the other is a Brodhead-Garrett J-line. Both are the 8" model. The Logan is single phase and the B-G is three phase. Not really an issue as I have a phase converter. I know that B-G bought the rights to Logan at some point and rebranded these shapers moving forward. The SN on the Logan begins with "12" and the only SN registry for Logan I can find starts with the numbers 13 in 1953, so this machine is probably older than 1953. The SN of the B-G machine is 685. I've been able to find no SN registry for the B-G, however it looks like Logan stopped making these machines under their name in 1966 so the B-G must be 1966 or newer.

B-G made several changes to the Logal model under their name:

1) Came with a heavier duty vise.
2) Provided a more efficient lubrication system to the variable-speed pulley shaft.
3) Table travel was about an inch more in both directions.
4) Two motor sizes, half and three quarter HP for both single and three phase models (haven't determined the HP rating of either of the machines in question yet.)
5) Provided a cover for the rear pulley system. Since B-G focused on school sales, safety was probably a priority.

Any additional information about these machines and their ages would be appreciated. All comments and questions welcome.

Thanks,

Doug

Thanks - good to know I'm in the right category. Here's the situation; I'm looking at two shapers for sale, both here in my small town (yes, very fortunate, I know.) Both sellers are friends of mine and they also are friends with each other. One machine is a Logan and the other is a Brodhead-Garrett J-line. Both are the 8" model. The Logan is single phase and the B-G is three phase. Not really an issue as I have a phase converter. I know that B-G bought the rights to Logan at some point and rebranded these shapers moving forward. The SN on the Logan begins with "12" and the only SN registry for Logan I can find starts with the numbers 13 in 1953, so this machine is probably older than 1953. The SN of the B-G machine is 685. I've been able to find no SN registry for the B-G, however it looks like Logan stopped making these machines under their name in 1966 so the B-G must be 1966 or newer.

B-G made several changes to the Logal model under their name:

1) Came with a heavier duty vise.
2) Provided a more efficient lubrication system to the variable-speed pulley shaft.
3) Table travel was about an inch more in both directions.
4) Two motor sizes, half and three quarter HP for both single and three phase models (haven't determined the HP rating of either of the machines in question yet.)
5) Provided a cover for the rear pulley system. Since B-G focused on school sales, safety was probably a priority.

Any additional information about these machines and their ages would be appreciated. All comments and questions welcome.

Thanks,

Doug

Anybody out there???

Doug

I think that, given that the two shapers are very similar, I would get the one in best mechanical conditions (e.g. less wear, less play in sliding block, gears, etc.) and that comes with most accessories, like tool holders, etc.

I am not very familiar with Logan shapers (I have seen and inspected a few Logan, not a single G-B, as far as I remember), therefore there could be something specific to this shapers that one need to watch for, and I am unaware of it. At least in theory, better lubrication and being newer would be a strong point in favor of the G-B but, after over half a century, what really counts is the actual wear (and, perhaps, things not mentioned about the G-B one could include switching to zinc alloys for some gears and parts).

Paolo

One thing to always check with shapers is the teeth on the bull gear where the load is taken.....generally all the wear is on less than 10 teeth....and most shapers you cant rotate the gear relative to the drive pin......The sliding block should be checked for wear ,as the slot in the arm....but this wear is fairly easily fixed .

I think that, given that the two shapers are very similar, I would get the one in best mechanical conditions (e.g. less wear, less play in sliding block, gears, etc.) and that comes with most accessories, like tool holders, etc.

I am not very familiar with Logan shapers (I have seen and inspected a few Logan, not a single G-B, as far as I remember), therefore there could be something specific to this shapers that one need to watch for, and I am unaware of it. At least in theory, better lubrication and being newer would be a strong point in favor of the G-B but, after over half a century, what really counts is the actual wear (and, perhaps, things not mentioned about the G-B one could include switching to zinc alloys for some gears and parts).

Paolo

Paolo, thanks for your comments; you've made some good points. I will know more about the condition of each machine when I see and hear them run next week, hopefully. Will try to take a close look at the metal used on the B-G to see if anything looks suspicious.

I was hoping someone here would know the "birthdates" of both machines. In my research, those dates haven't been found yet.

Thanks,

Doug

Maybe you have seen the Logan Information on this site.
Logan Engineering Co. - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org
There are some Catalogues and parts lists for an 8" shaper there.
While they may not support the shaper there may be some more information from this company that supports the lathes.
Logan Home Page
I think a member of the Logan family that ran this company was a member on this forum at one time .
I haven't seen any posts by him recently.
Perhaps someone else on this forum will remember more .
Jim

Maybe you have seen the Logan Information on this site.
Logan Engineering Co. - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org
There are some Catalogues and parts lists for an 8" shaper there.
While they may not support the shaper there may be some more information from this company that supports the lathes.
Logan Home Page
I think a member of the Logan family that ran this company was a member on this forum at one time .
I haven't seen any posts by him recently.
Perhaps someone else on this forum will remember more .
Jim

Yes, I'm familiar with and have been to the VM website and was able to print out Owner's Manuals for both machines; they are very similar but not exactly. The manual for the Logan machine was obviously for the later model machines as it reflects some parts/features on the later machines no on the one I'm looking (earlier SN.) The Brodhead-Garrett machine is a later model and has the updated features. Still not a clear winner yet, at lest in my view. Hopefully a closer inspection of both machines as well as seeing/hearing them run will bring the decision more in focus.

Thanks,

Doug

One thing to always check with shapers is the teeth on the bull gear where the load is taken.....generally all the wear is on less than 10 teeth....and most shapers you cant rotate the gear relative to the drive pin......The sliding block should be checked for wear ,as the slot in the arm....but this wear is fairly easily fixed .

John,

Thanks for the tips. Is the bull gear the one at the rear with the cover over it? Will definitely take a look at the dovetail ways for wear.

Doug

Doug,
I have a Logan 7" Shaper Serial#12S63. Fine little machine. The only literature I could could find was for the 8" and they are very similar. Here are a couple pics of mine doing real work. Cutting internal key to a dead shoulder and squaring a big cast iron block. The BG may have some upgraded features. Porter Cable is in the mix there too with the same style machine.
spaeth
DSCN2028.jpgDSCN2025.jpgDSCN2253.jpgDSCN2255.jpg

Doug,
I have a Logan 7" Shaper Serial#12S63. Fine little machine. The only literature I could could find was for the 8" and they are very similar. Here are a couple pics of mine doing real work. Cutting internal key to a dead shoulder and squaring a big cast iron block. The BG may have some upgraded features. Porter Cable is in the mix there too with the same style machine.
spaeth
View attachment 333028View attachment 333029View attachment 333030View attachment 333031

Thanks for the photos, Spaeth! Nice to see one of these old classics actually doing some work. From my research it seems that metal shapers are among the most underutilized machines in the shop.

Doug

BTW, I spoke with Scott Logan today (his grandfather founded the company.) He said the Logan I'm looking at was made in 1942. Logan made those shapers through 1966. After that they were all made under the Brodhead-Garrett J-line badge. That means that the B-G machine is at least 14 years newer than the Logan machine.

Was able to see the Logan machine in operation today. Didn't machine any material but it ran smoothly and all the features seemed to operate correctly. Confirmed it is the 1/2 HP model rather than the 3/4 HP. Hopefully will be able to see the B-G machine operate this week, possibly on Wednesday.

Doug

P.S. The B-G machine has some upgraded features, beginning with the larger vise and the cover for the drive belt. May be others I'm not aware of. Logan is single phase, B-G is 3-phase. I have an RPC.

Doug, That is a really nice looking Logan. It has a couple different features than mine. T-slots on the side of the table mine has a V groove for holding round stock. Also yours has the front support bracket on the table. Looks like the linkage is missing that regulates the cross feed. You can see what it looks like on the pic I added. The vice is original, maybe that machine has not many hours on it. They both look desirable.
spaeth
DSCN2019.jpg

Doug, That is a really nice looking Logan. It has a couple different features than mine. T-slots on the side of the table mine has a V groove for holding round stock. Also yours has the front support bracket on the table. Looks like the linkage is missing that regulates the cross feed. You can see what it looks like on the pic I added. The vice is original, maybe that machine has not many hours on it. They both look desirable.
spaeth
View attachment 333054

Good eye, Spaeth! The linkage and all parts are there, just not in those pics. This machine was in storage for years and some of the parts removed from the unit and shrink wrapped to it so they wouldn't get lost. We installed the linkage today and fired it up and all seemed normal. It is obviously in nice shape for a machine almost 80 years old. Seller is a friend of mine who bought a "package" deal from a friend of his who was liquidating his shop. My friend is more of a woodworker, hence this machine is for sale.

I think the picture will become more clear when I see and hear the Brodhead-Garrett J-Line in operation, hopefully soon.

Doug

Just an FYI - Was able to take another look at the Brodhead- Garrett machine today. It has a Baldor motor and is the 3/4 HP version. The Logan has a 1/2 HP motor so I don't know how much more of an advantage the extra 1/4 HP is - maybe someone can shed some light on this? Was not able to see it in operation yet. No plug on cord and owner was not there today.

Was offered a package deal today on the Logan + a Delta 14" metal cutting bandsaw (nice bandsaw) - $1,000. Price on the Brodhead-Garrett is $1,000 for the shaper alone; possibly come down to $900 but that would be the bottom line.

Doug

Just an FYI - Was able to take another look at the Brodhead- Garrett machine today. It has a Baldor motor and is the 3/4 HP version. The Logan has a 1/2 HP motor so I don't know how much more of an advantage the extra 1/4 HP is - maybe someone can shed some light on this? Was not able to see it in operation yet. No plug on cord and owner was not there today.

Was offered a package deal today on the Logan + a Delta 14" metal cutting bandsaw (nice bandsaw) - $1,000. Price on the Brodhead-Garrett is $1,000 for the shaper alone; possibly come down to $900 but that would be the bottom line.

Doug

Delta 14" metal cutting bandsaws generally sell for around $600 around here. I would take the package.

Back