What's new
What's new

Shaw Loading Machine For Marlin Browning Links

Sachmanram

Stainless
Hello all,

I realize that my posting this device that I found is certainly a stretch for a machining site, but I thought that I would post it anyway, as I know that some of you are interested in ammunition, etc.

I don't know just what this device does, but I found several of them in an old wooden box in an old store that I frequent occasionally. It has three separate cast iron parts.

Here's a few pics....

IMG_0744%20800x600_zpstojdp9kx.jpg

IMG_0742%20800x600_zpsxwrnmxjr.jpg

IMG_0743%20800x600_zpsofvrhsvz.jpg

It may have something to do with the Second World War. Loading cartridges onto a belt for a machine gun in the field ?

Brian

Hi Brian, I think it could even be WW1. You're in Canada so the 303 could be 303 British cartridges.

I would lay down money that that is a linking machine for making machine gun belts. Pressing the rounds into metal links.

Rick

Thanks fellas... :)

I knew that someone would come up with a hit. Those patent drawings are a dead ringer. The cast base plate has such nice and crisp lettering. I'm not sure how many were in the wooden box, but at least two. I just might go see how much they want for them.

Brian :)

Well, I am back... :)

I am soooo impulsive.. !!! My girlfriend would corroborate... :skep:

I dashed out and bought the wooden box with the Shaw Loading Machine parts... I just had to buy them, because of their historic value, in my mind, of a WW2 artifact. There may be thousands of them out there, for all I know, in every other War Surplus store. These would have been fastened to a board with screws in the field, and while in the heat of battle, machine gun belts were refilled as fast as they could to keep up. It really is such a simple, yet clever device, and very compact, once disassembled.

Here's a couple of pics back at the shop...

IMG_0487%20800x600_zpswpfi0yty.jpg

IMG_0488%20600x800_zpslv1al3ka.jpg

Looks like it belonged to the Royal Canadian Air Force...

IMG_0490%20800x600_zps31tynl8l.jpg

IMG_0491%20800x600_zpsjuueyqtw.jpg

One tag was still attached to a base casting. The writing is faded, but I could read a date of December.... '44, with the actual date rubbed off. I believe that the box was re-purposed for these items, as there is a description of a rifle attachment of some kind on another tag on the box.

Brian

I found an old Canadian auction that sold one of these and it explained that it was used by the RCAF during the Second World War in bombers, with .303 ammunition. With the tags that are with this box, that might be plausible, although, wouldn't that be a little light for ammo in a bomber of that period?

Brian

there were a lot of .30 caliber aircraft guns (of various .30 calibers)

some US bombers went all .50, but .30 endured for a long time, may even still be in use by some countries.

Hello Clark,

Well, this initially was just to buy them and keep them from obscurity, and a passion for things of the past, but I certainly don't need three of them.

I don't believe that I have three priceless objects at hand, yet there is almost no information on the web concerning these. I will ponder this for a bit.... I already have one of you fellow members in mind to give one to, who has recently helped me out.

You are certainly next in line and if I decide to sell you one, it would would not be very dear. I will let you know tomorrow.

I don't know Brian, I have always thought Canada needed a good militia. This could be your start

I think you are onto something.... there must be enough equipment and uniforms for at least a dozen guys... I think there's some old ammo as well... I believe that I saw a flare gun on a shelf somewhere... some white camo coverings.... Oh... !!! and there's a drone hanging from the ceiling for target practice... !!!

Brian ;)

Almost all British and Commonwealth built aircraft used .303 machine guns, with the occasional 20mm Hispano cannon thrown in.

K.

Thank you Jim :)

Interesting reading. With every man at his station in the bomber, who would be able to use this device while in combat? Maybe it was mostly used in remote airfields between flights.

Curious how they would get the .303 to work in a belt, being it is a rimmed cartridge? I know that's why the Lewis guns of WWI had those drum magazines.

Curious how they would get the .303 to work in a belt, being it is a rimmed cartridge? I know that's why the Lewis guns of WWI had those drum magazines.
they pulled out the back of the belt

there was one 7.62x54r gun that used push-through links, the UK-59, but it was an oddball.
Interesting reading. With every man at his station in the bomber, who would be able to use this device while in combat? Maybe it was mostly used in remote airfields between flights.

On aircraft they would not carry those linkers, they'd only carry linked ammunition, then ground crews would refill their belts on the ground.

Back