What's new
What's new

Sheldon lathe on CL for a decent price.

Metal Lathe 10x30 w/ tools - tools - by owner - sale

https://images.craigslist.org/00W0W_jbNJ6Pqkzo1_1200x900.jpg

$950. Includes the taper attachment. I think you could tell the taper attachment for more than they're asking for the whole lathe.

Condition, condition, etc. but its a better machine than same-sized South Bent, and a very much better price than most. Shame to not just clean it up and use it, not part it out in any way.

Last thing I need is a fourth lathe, but someone hungrier should grab this one. Asking price doesn't really even demand a look-see.

Sheldons are scarce enough one COULD part it out if need be. Only problem with that is that not as much wears-out, falls off and gits lost, or BREAKS on them as on a SB, fewer get tore apart out of ignorant curiosity, never put back together, so fewer Sheldon owners even NEED parts!

:)

That is pre 60s as witnessed by the small collars on the slides. I never got to run a Sheldon that size but the best toolmaker I have worked with recommended one. The company he worked for had about a 12" Logan. A condition of accepting the job was to throw a blanket over the Logan and have Punjab say an incantation, turning it into a Sheldon. Another knowledgeable machinist I knew had two like this one and often talked about how much better they were than Logans or SBs. I have a later Sheldon R15, the 15" version of the R13 Ray Behner has. They are serious machines, medium duty, not in the class with Monarch 61s in terms of heavy stock removal, but damned good machines for their purpose.

Bill

That is pre 60s as witnessed by the small collars on the slides.
Bill

My take is that it's a 10" from the '40's. The quick change box is from a '40's machine. The carriage seems to be significantly more robust than one from a SB or Logan.

@OP - please include photos of the craigslist/ebay item in question, which may entail hosting the photos yourself or downloading them from the auction site and uploading here. As stated in the forum sticky notes these sorts of posts become useless once the listing expires.

@OP - please include photos of the craigslist/ebay item in question, which may entail hosting the photos yourself or downloading them from the auction site and uploading here. As stated in the forum sticky notes these sorts of posts become useless once the listing expires.

True. But they probably SHOULD go dark, no?

CL or eBay listing vanishes, it usually means the item has been sold or withdrawn from sale.

Now "exception":

- Photos preserved for posterity and future reference of a truly rare item not easily found anywhere else.

Sheldons, however, are already well covered.

BTW.. listing said "Northern Virginia", did it not? So if anyone wants to BUY it rather than anal-eyes it to death, just shout that out, right here.

Could be within typically 30 minutes or so of a look-see visit from where I - or 3 or 4 other PM members - normally perch.

2CW

Last edited:
Once it's sold, this topic becomes pointless. Just let it fade away with time. For whatever reason this site no longer allows me to either local save the images or link them remotely. I've tried both ways. Regular image "

It does not become useless- the photo, if retained, can be useful for someone else searching for keywords. You never know the details that someone else is interested in. Remote image link still works fine against my dreamhost account, has for well over 10 years.

_IMG]http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/all-photos/die-head/small-IMG_5331.jpg[/IMG_
(leading and trailing square brackets replaced with underscore)

small-IMG_5331.jpg

I am looking at a similar 10" Sheldon. What would be the best way / minimum lifting moving equipment/manpower?. I will be putting it in a basement with outside access.

Back