What's new
What's new

Old Darling, Brown & Sharpe Rule

CWC(4)

Cast Iron
Does anyone know what the intended purpose of this rule was?
It is a heavy 10" rule with regular fractional graduations on the front, but on the back it is stamped "10 inches into 92 parts" and graduated accordingly.
Thanks,
CWC(4)

DB&S Rule 2.jpg
DB&S Rule.jpg
IMG_8970.jpg

Thanks for the responses.
I have a 1909 Brown & Sharpe "Machinery and Tools" catalogue and although it lists a number of rules, nothing like this is offered in there, no 10" rules at all.
Makes sense that it may have been special order and would love to know what that intended use was.
CWC(4)

It could be a shrink rule for pattern makers. The marking is unusual. They were usually marked in inches per foot. The amount of shrink is large, possibly double shrink for making cast metal patterns.

It could be a shrink rule for pattern makers. The marking is unusual. They were usually marked in inches per foot. The amount of shrink is large, possibly double shrink for making cast metal patterns.

Shrink was my first thought, but when I worked out the amount of shrink I discounted it - didn't think of ''double shrink'' though :(

But I agree very odd way of marking a rule.

The mystery continues ..............................

Shrink was my first thought, but when I worked out the amount of shrink I discounted it - didn't think of ''double shrink'' though :(

But I agree very odd way of marking a rule.

The mystery continues ..............................

Every time an apprentice got a new rule we’d ask “ Have you been over to the pattern shop ? They have the master rule, you should get your rule checked out “.

Of course they’d wander off to the pattern makers shop so their rule could be compared against a shrinkage rule. They’d be told their brand new rule was wrong and they should take it back to the hardware shop.

Regards Tyrone.

Well, if anyone borrows a scale from me, I'll pull out a 12" Lufkin 1/8" shrink rule I have here. I have to keep it segregated from all of my other scales so it don't get used by me by mistake!:confused:

I had 5 old shrink rules a while back that I sold to a forum member. All were Starrett and Brown & Sharpe if I remember correctly. None looked like this one, although I realize this one is a fair bit earlier.
CWC(4)

shrink rules reminds me of a guy selling new flex fan blades at a car parts swap-meet [i was selling next to him ] so this guy had a bunch of these things $5 each he was selling the hell out of them tell this one guy calls him out on them . he tells him these thing are made to turn ccw not cw there going to push air not draw air these dam things are for a Vega. water pump on a Vega runs on the back side of the timing belt . i wondered how many poor bastards car ran hot because of this shyster

Back