What's new
What's new

SHIMA power hacksaw

Wally318

Aluminum
Hello I just bought a Shima power hacksaw.
No model name or number>
The parts not rubbed ofd on the badge are in Japanese.
I'm guessing minimum 50 years old.
The motor is Badged TAMPER. 1/3 hp 1725 rpm. 115VAC.
The vice will open to 7-1/2 inches and dual belt drive
with 2 belt speeds.
Anyone here know anything about them?
Most everything is pretty straight forward as power hacksaws go.
The only are of concern I have is the downfeed control.
Looks like it may need some TLC. And an operating manual
if its possible to get one.

The site owner has his rules and hacksaws are mentioned. So don't be surprised if the thread is locked, though he might not be watching closely.

Larry

"UPDATE-

Also not allowed for discussions on PM now-

*Atlas/ Craftsman/Dunlap products - anywhere

*Sherline and Taig - anywhere, including CNC versions

*Hacksaws- anywhere

*Horizontal shapers - Antique Machinery forum only​
Last edited by Milacron; 01-31-2013 at 11:35 PM."

The Motor is probably a replacement for the original or put on when imported to conform to Canadian standards.
You can read some more about Tamper here .
Electric Tamper & Equipment Co. of Canada, Ltd. - History | VintageMachinery.org
Tamper made electric motors in Canada at one time.
I remember seeing some very nice looking Japanese hacksaws that were newly imported to machinery dealers in Canada in the early to mid 1970 s .
As I recall In a few short years the cheaper machines from Taiwan largely took their place in the marketplace .
I can’t add more than that.
Regards,
Jim

The site owner has his rules and hacksaws are mentioned. So don't be surprised if the thread is locked, though he might not be watching closely.

Larry

"UPDATE-

Also not allowed for discussions on PM now-

*Atlas/ Craftsman/Dunlap products - anywhere

*Sherline and Taig - anywhere, including CNC versions

*Hacksaws- anywhere

*Horizontal shapers - Antique Machinery forum only​
Last edited by Milacron; 01-31-2013 at 11:35 PM."

Over the years there have been several discussions in the Antique forum about INDUSTRIAL POWER HACKSAWS. These were the mainstays in a number of commercial and industrial applications until they were replaced with dependable horizontal bandsaws. Keller, Racine, and Kasto among others made saws marketed exclusively to commercial and industrial shops.

Up through the 1960's Racine made power hacksaws large enough to cut 24" round stock. The machines needed a minimum of 51" x 112" of floor space, and weighed in at 6,300 lbs. These could hardly be considered "hobbyist grade" machines.

Here's a link to a 1968 brochure of some of the machines offered by Racine Tool & Machine.

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1085/16557.pdf

I just finished rebuilding a Racine 816, and that machine will take the Pepsi challenge in a race against most of the 16" capacity bandsaws out there. It's heavy duty, cuts fast, and cuts square. It has power hydraulic feed, and has a coolant system, as well. I've pulled threads from this site about Hacksaws, and they haven't been shut down, and certainly since the date of that notification. I think it's odd that a fine machine with industrial applications in small shops would be discluded, and hope that isn't the case. Certainly fitting in the Vintage/Antique section, at least.

Yes, I found the same info about the motor.
Made in Canada,probably Montreal.
The motor has the same paint on it as the saw, with a black area
on top(no paint).
So it seems that Canadian motors were shipped to Japan,installed,painted
and then shipped back.
Anyway here's a few pics:saw 2.JPG
HTML:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]277328._xfImport[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]277329._xfImport[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]277330._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Its the feed cylinder in pics #3/4 that I'm concerned with.

Back