What's new
What's new

shipbreaking----category 5 storm style

JHOLLAND1

Titanium
August 1969---I rode out Hurricane Camille on northern border of evacuation zone

when the National Guard allowed limited traffic access to Gulf Coast highway around 8 days after storm I was one of the first thru barricades

the most impressive sight is almost never commented upon by media--that of freighters --attempting to ride out storm at anchorage one mile off shore--beached within feet of Gulf Coast Hwy--only one pic --other than my own--illustrates storm forces which are almost fictional--
if you look closely at pic one--Alamo Victory-- you will notice partial transection of ship --my direct observation of that occurrence was 50% penetration just forward amidship --starboard

these were freighters in 300 ft class of estimated 8-11,000 tons

as I returned monthly Bucyrus crawler lattice cranes were at work assisting shipbreaking--a few years prior to birth of federal agency OSHA and the 900 page volume the agency published regulating this practice:)

Attachments

• jhgy.JPG
    jhgy.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 715
  • dfsyuyt.JPG
    dfsyuyt.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 682
There was one about that size parked several hundred feet inshore in Miami after Andrew. I left not long after, don't know what they did about it.

after every major storm there is always ships, barges, houseboats, oil field equipment pushed onshore/ into the marsh, etc. People don't realize that storm surge may only give an official water level rise of 10 feet, but that 10 feet has waves and will rock/float stuff way inshore. Sometimes the insurance companies and salvage companies can get them, sometimes they cant/wont. However after about 5-10 years of no maintenance in the Louisiana marsh they rust away into nothing fairly quickly.

Cool pictures.
Good friend worked in Prudhoe Bay for a decade and he sent me pictures of them pulling huge barges from the bay in the fall with Cat Dozers and rubber bladders. Guess sometimes they can't get stuff out before the bay freezes so they have to pull it out or lose it up there.

Great pictures. The power of water... I was on the M/V Atlantic Sentry in Port Canaveral when the Challenger blew up and the Navy brought in a salvage ship from Goteborg, Sweden called the Stena Workhorse. It made our ship look like a Tonka Toy. Some of those salvors can work miracles but like you say, if the value of the ship doesn't exceed the cost...

Great timing.

I've recently spent countless hours watching youtube videos produced by a few of the Dutch salvage companies showing their prowess at refloating sunken ships and other humongous items.

They do some monumentally difficult tasks, in oftentimes horrendous conditions. I can't imagine how daunting of a task it would be and how they don't just throw up their hands and call it a wash.

It is amazing what they can do. Watching a ship being "parbuckled" is amazing! Who'd have ever dreamed up something like that!!!????

And, a lot of it is because of the mathematical prowess of their engineering staff.

After watching the lengths they go to, for their customer, to get the job done....I can only imagine the amount of money that is spent. The rigging that is manufactured, winches, strand jacks, cables, chains... it's unimaginable what they have access to and what they build on a moments notice.

If it's that expensive to get a ship off a reef, can you imagine what Lloyd's of London charges these guys to insure their vessels? That expense gets passed on down the food chain, to us, sooner or later.

New to forum. Looking for antique elevator. Don’t know how to post on forum. Do you know when there is on for sale?

Great timing.

I've recently spent countless hours watching youtube videos produced by a few of the Dutch salvage companies showing their prowess at refloating sunken ships and other humongous items.

They do some monumentally difficult tasks, in oftentimes horrendous conditions. I can't imagine how daunting of a task it would be and how they don't just throw up their hands and call it a wash.

It is amazing what they can do. Watching a ship being "parbuckled" is amazing! Who'd have ever dreamed up something like that!!!????

And, a lot of it is because of the mathematical prowess of their engineering staff.

After watching the lengths they go to, for their customer, to get the job done....I can only imagine the amount of money that is spent. The rigging that is manufactured, winches, strand jacks, cables, chains... it's unimaginable what they have access to and what they build on a moments notice.

If it's that expensive to get a ship off a reef, can you imagine what Lloyd's of London charges these guys to insure their vessels? That expense gets passed on down the food chain, to us, sooner or later.

One of their greatest achievment was salvaging the Russian submarine Kursk

Peter

Back