What's new
What's new

* "Shoeing" Shifting Forks

johnoder

Diamond
This relates to my 24" Lodge & Shipley Selective Heads from the teens/twenties, but many lathes use a form of this apron gearing.

L&S, who made very tough lathes, did not do great here, at least over the very long haul.

The shifting fork is the only thing there that takes the thrust of the double ended bevel gear.

As the fork wears, the bevel gears drift out of engagement.

Then there comes the day when a tough cut (lots of DOC, lots of feed) needs to be made and the dread "skipping tooth" sound comes from the apron.

Nothing broke, since L&S was a firm believer in soft steel gearing, but such silly goings-on did fold over tooth tips. Meanwhile, the fork got worse and worse.

Apparently, hardly anyone ever thought of reversing the lead screw, so never got much use out of the other end of the double ended bevel gear, and the other side of the fork.

Photos are here. I'll add to them as I finish machine these forks.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v337/johnoder/24 X 168 LS/Older One/Fixing Shifting Fork/

John Oder

John, Looks like a bang up job but what I don't understand is why you made the shoes in three pieces there is probably a good reason but I found my self going back and forth looking at the last two pictures wondering why you didn't machine both pieces from a chunk of round stock and make both one piece shoes.

I'm sure their is a logical explanation so please pardon my ignorance.

James

John,
You just solved another a problem for me. I have nearly the same situation with the throw-out on the Mitchell... a flat bronze ring that is badly worn on the thrust side. thanks,

joe p

Y'know, the cool thing about being on the Antique Machinery forum, is that there's no punishment for NecroPosting...

John's last post was 2008... and here, 5 years later, it's been brought back to life... but hey, it's fine- in the world of antique machines, 5 years is but a heartbeat.

In the kiddie-forums about stuff like... computers... a guy would get chastized heavily for bringing a 'dead' thread back to life. Around here, it wasn't dead yet. (actually, feeling much better today!).

Fortunately, with John's famous financial frugality and finesse in finite fabrication, his fostering of filthy faculties
facilitates fashioning and foundering of fine and faithful facimile of formerly faded, flawed, and failed err...

Parts.

"tis but a flesh wound.

Since PB seems to be still less than 100%

Add non PB photos - and following posts if needed

Dcp_1119.jpgDcp_1120.jpgDCP_1121.jpgDcp_1122.jpgDcp_1123.jpg

More next post

Last edited:
Don't recall 11 years back - but what you suggest certainly makes sense

Forum is just up dating to show Photo Bucket photos have been replaced or otherwise augmented

John

This is great stuff, your machine will be much happier now :)

How did you do the riveting, cross drill and upset the end of a pin into a countersink?

Back