What's new
What's new

Short Metal Planer Video

Can anyone figure out what drives the "indexing head"? Is it attached to something on the planer drive system? I couldn't make anything out.

Can anyone figure out what drives the "indexing head"? Is it attached to something on the planer drive system? I couldn't make anything out.

Neither could I. I had expected to see that the worm turned as the table advanced, but that did not appear to be the case - rather, the entire head mechanism turned.

And then there are of course two different advances - one to create the spiral within each stroke, and another to index the work to the next groove. It looked to be a single stroke for each groove, and therefore an advance at the end of each stroke, but I couldn’t tell from the video.

Starting at about the :30 mark, you can see a couple rails along the far side of the machine. One's set at an angle that appears to pull the roll over as the table advances, the other appears to index at the end of travel.

Rotation is done by the large "taper attachment" type device behind the bed pulling a rack that acts on a gear quadrant. Groove indexing I haven't yet figured out. I think it's a pawl acting on an indexing plate on top where the spring is.

I once worked at a place that did the grooving of rubber " cracker " rolls just like that roll in the film. I was our job to set it all up for the planer operator. These were chilled iron rolls weighing about 5 tons ( 10,000 lbs ). We had a large frame with an adjustable trough set up on the far side of the planer. An arm came from that indexing mechanism and ran in the trough. It had a large ball on the end of the arm that fitted closely into the trough. The indexing device was just like a dividing head and was used to pitch out the grooves. You could alter the angle of the trough to vary the angle of the grooves. We had the rolls set up in roller vee blocks.

It worked pretty well but it was really boring for the operator. You could have about 250 grooves on the bigger rolls. The tooling was all brazed carbide profile ground by my own fair hand.

The rolls were for cracking up old tyres to make into carpet underlay.

Regards Tyrone.

Rotation is done by the large "taper attachment" type device behind the bed pulling a rack that acts on a gear quadrant. Groove indexing I haven't yet figured out. I think it's a pawl acting on an indexing plate on top where the spring is.

Starting at about the :30 mark, you can see a couple rails along the far side of the machine. One's set at an angle that appears to pull the roll over as the table advances, the other appears to index at the end of travel.

Ah! Thanks guys. I saw the rack rotating the part but I didn't catch the tapered slide causing the action.

Peter has it right. And the lever you see ahead of the rack is connected to the large gear up on the indexing assembly. When it rides up on a ramp, it rotates the large gear which turns the worm and in turn rotates the cylinder to the next groove position. A pawl and ratchet arrangement lets the lever rotate the large gear just the correct amount each time the lever rides up on the ramp. I noted these parts in a photo.

attachment.php

Irby

Attachments

• planer movie 1.jpg
    planer movie 1.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 219
The set up we had was slightly different. The indexing of the roll wasn't automatic. Some of the grooves were roughly 3/8" to 1/2" deep in really tough chilled iron. It possibly took up to 20 or more minutes to machine each groove. The planing tool was fed down by hand a few thou at a time. We rigged up a reduction gear box fitted to the end of the planing box feed shaft. The operator sat on a very high stool at the end of the cross rail and wound the gearbox around one turn on each stroke of the table.

When one groove was completed the operator stopped the machine, jumped onto the table, wound the indexing head around to the next groove, and started all over again. I used to jump on the table from time to time to check everything was ok. There was a small set of wooden steps. Getting on the moving table from the steps was easy. Jumping off onto the steps wasn't quite as easy.

Regards Tyrone.

Do you have any idea how hard the chilled CI was? Early in my career I found out how hard white castiron can be to cut, literally more time spent grinding brased carbide than "cutting" the material.
So I always figured it was 75 Rc or higher.

Do you have any idea how hard the chilled CI was? Early in my career I found out how hard white castiron can be to cut, literally more time spent grinding brased carbide than "cutting" the material.
So I always figured it was 75 Rc or higher.

Sorry, I don't know how hard the rolls were in terms of recognised hardness scales. The inspectors used to come around and check them out from time to time but I don't know what readings they obtained.

Home made brazed carbide tooling cut them without too much trouble just as long as the tools were kept sharp. I'd make half a dozen planing tools at a time and the tool would be changed after a few grooves. I'd then give them a touch up on top of the tip and they were put back into service. We're talking about tool shanks about 14" long, 2" by 1-1/4" in section. We used old HSS planing tools. Not easy to manipulate against the grindstone to get the groove profiles required.

Regards Tyrone.

Back