What's new
What's new

Should I buy a shaper?

Motomoron

Stainless
There's a nice 7" South Bend shaper I'm seriously considering buying. I'm renovating my shop and will have much more room, and while I certainly don't "need" one, it'd be fun and useful occasionally. At present I've got a Smithy Granite 1324, H+V band saws, drill press, shear, brake, hyd. press, tig, mig, gas, grinders, buffers, sanders. I'll assume custodianship of my dad's heavy 10 SB and Burke Millrite eventually. This is a home based shop that does short runs of simple parts, and prototype lab instruments.

I'd probably be willing to pay up to about a grand for the shaper since it's in lovely shape, is complete, and is about 3 hours from home.

What say you all?

YES! Buy the Shaper, now, buy it NOW! I have a couple of shapers and I get a great deal of enjoyment running them. They can be handy once you get the hang of running them and use a little imagination.

No. You'll be fascinated by the motion for a few hours and then you'll never use it for anything ;)

If you have room buy it. It's cheap to run in terms of tooling and does many things you would have to buy specific tooling for your mill to do. Bits are way easier to sharpen than mill cutters. Bigger is better though.

I can only agree with Don, shapers are almost never used in the UK and then only by home machinists, buy a miller and a large diameter slab cutter and save space and get more versatility. Take it from me that nice big shop soon fills with machines.

I looked hard at that SB shaper too. The idea of having it almost won, over the what can it do that my BP can't. Hope that was you who ended up with it, sure looked good, 110V to boot.

my wheels don't slow me down

Evaluate it based on it's "fun" value to you, not it's utility. I've used my Steptoe a few times just because I have it, but I haven't yet had a job that I can't do quicker and easier on the vertical mill. But I enjoy running the shaper and don't regret buying it.

Brad

When it hit $950 I had my excuse not to buy it.

Thanks for the advice, all.

I'm finishing out my basement shop finally (I get to hang drywall tomorrow while everyone's at work) and I'll wait 'til everythings where it goes before I go dragging any more tools home.

To me; the shaper is a tool that needs one special piece of tooling, a brain. A shaper provides the lowest cost machine for metal removal. It is also the only machine that can do several specialized jobs. This is a forum for machinists? I did not have room or money when I brought home my shaper. If I held the winning lotto ticket; I would buy a TL15 Haas tomorrow. Many things would have to go out to make room for my first piece of CNC. My South Bend lathes, shaper, and cone head 'J' Bridgeport would not move one inch.

What machine can cut a gear cheaper? What machine can cut bastard splines, keyways, hexes, gears, and other complex surfaces on inside and outside; without very expensive equipment?

At work I needed a special hydrant wrench. At home I made the wrench in less than an hour, on a shaper. I did not even need a dividing head. A square, boring bar, and vise was all I needed for the task. Yes, I take work home. Technically this is 'government work' but no one complains, much.
I lost my automotive oil pressure switch socket to a friend. My shaper made me one, from aluminum, in a few minutes. Has anyone ever tried to install a pressure switch in their car without one? Have you thought about what you did, with those pliers, as you walked home, following that trail of oil, after drizzling out your last drop of engine oil, and only then did the pressure indicator drop off?

I need a keyway in a pulley for my 16-24 South Bend. I refuse to go through the weighty expense of buying a set of broaches. Fortunately my seven inch South Bend shaper was still cheaper than a full set of broaches. Keyways are no problem to me. Stubby M2 cutter bits are cheap.

If you know how to use a shaper, it is the most universal machine for straight line machining. If you can't make it with a lathe and shaper; you got real problems.

A long gone compadre' once waxed about tools that were not utilized fully. He was a full papered machinist that forgot more than I will ever know. He switched to industrial HVAC because he wanted more money and a better job. Paul kept his home machine shop fully tooled up and he acted like he was someday going to be the last ditch machine shop for mankind. He got his papers at Walworth valve, and worked there, until the place closed. Just about every machine he had carried a brass Walworth asset tag. Even his hand tools were Walworth brand.

Paul had two standard lines. The first was," I may not use this stuff much, but it makes me feel like John C. Holmes when I can get the job done". His second saying was,"Eat up boy. The dogs will have a good funeral feast, when you go."

He passed away in his sleep as he napped on the old couch, that sat behind his Bridgeport. His daughter, a design Engineer, and sons, both doctors; keep his garage machine shop alive. They all use the shop to perform little tasks and show their kids what grandpa did. His widow does not even mind the universal shaper that crowds the driver's side front fender of her car. There is a cloth tarp on that shaper and, the last time I looked, there is no dust on the tarp.

I had a logan shaper that I restored, it was beautiful and lots of fun to watch. I cut a tool holder for an aloris tool post on it and decided that they stoped using them for a reason, paint dries faster. mind you I am not in a hurry but that was silly it took hours to make that thing. I have seen big shapers go and that was cool they move metal pretty quick I am now looking for a 12-16 incher somthing big and heavy, even though I just want to watch it go.

Ahh, I'm late to the party again, my bust...

Yes, buy a shaper. But dont spend the money they CAN demand.

Just wait, and if a shaper is still in your vision you will run up on a nice one for seventy five to a hundred bucks as I did. They are out there. Their real worth, not just the bloated prices sometimes seen on ebay.

A shaper is a machinist tool. Meaning, when an old timey machinist in the past had to work a piece of metal there used to be more time than equipment. There were no CNC this and that. There was a file and chisel. Then came the shaper (after the lathe). He was able to set the machine up and let-her run. Let her run while he still was able to file away on another block of steel.

Shapers are a piece of history that will not ever come back.

Not like the lathe where it will always be in use and change with modern technology.

A shaper will not evolve. They have reached their pinnacle and that is what makes them unique.

Yep, buy one if you have the room. I love shapers...JRouche

As slow as a shaper is, it can probably remove metal faster than a Smithy mill any day. :D

Sorry for the ribbing. I could not resist.

Shapers are kind of like trailers...
If you know a friend who has one, and can use theirs when needed, you don't need to buy your own.

--Doozer

PS- I have an Atlas lathe. Feel free to rib on me for that.

FWIW ..the 16 in smth mills i bought from the shop of a deceased tool & die operation was used for hogging metal before going to the 4 bridgeports cause it was faster(according to 2 ex employees)....but no one has mentioned that w/ a shear grind bit & a finish cut of .005 or less, the resulting finish on 1018 reflects a fingernail ...puts my ancient bridgeport w/ a 2 in face mill to shame.!!!!..no further grinding/polishing needed (& better yet on cast iron) ...& when tradgedy strikes, it only requires a regrind of a lathe bit , not a new "SPECIAL cutter " ..i needed to cut 85 deg.V for a carriage stop for Reed 14 in lathe , & 55 deg. for a follow rest ....just tilt the head & feed down ...no regrind of angle cutter or a "special "needed
best wishes
docn8as

I owned two Atlas 7" shapers at different times back in the 1970's. They are neat machines and fun to watch run. Both were in good running condition, fairly cheap and not too heavy to load by hand on a pickup truck. In both cases, I kept them a year or two and never had a job for them. Both sold easily, at $400 or so for a nice profit, to other guys who thought they were neat.

Larry

If you get a part like this into your shop, rusty, crusty. The bearing bore for the outer race is long-since shot, and the solution is to take it off and make another one from steel.

The shaper gets in there and knocks this off in short order, making a nice clean surface to work with, if the tool gets a little dull, a couple minutes with the stone fixes that.

A couple $20 bills for new endmills if you go the other route

sand_muller_02.JPG

sand_muller_04.JPG

Oh yeah, almost forgot...look at the base of that arbor press...previous owner had apparently done grinding wheel durability testing on the base casting and I got it for nearly nothing. Welded in a new piece of steel slightly proud of the other/good side, and now it all has to get cleaned up again...how ya gonna machine the "foot" of the casting back to good.... ;)

Back