What's new
What's new

should i remove hendey tiebar spindle bearing and clean oil reservoir

marka12161

Stainless
When i finally get around to giving the hendey some attention, should i fight the fight to remove the spindle bearings and clean the oil reservoir? From what i've read in the archives, over the decades they swell and jam up tighter than (choose your favorite tight metaphor).

Is there some type of long term soak i can do to clean up the reservoir without removing the bearings?

I realize this may already be addressed somewhere in the archives but there is so much content there on hendey spindle bearings, the answer may be hidden in plain-sight.

Mark

Only ORIGINAL I tried to remove crumbled. I suppose they not only swell but also get amazingly brittle

If replacement BRONZE should not be much of a problem as far as breaking up - but do be very aware the oiling ring has to be carefully centered else it will get hung up with no further movement of bearing

Originals look like a light alloy. Supposedly some Hendey version of Alum Bronze - but NO bronze in coloration

I tried to remove the bearings on mine and they would not budge. 10 ton hydraulic ram and no go. Removed drain plugs and used 2+2 Gum Cutter. It is a carburetor cleaner that will dissolve even hard carbon deposits. It evaporates quickly. Spray in filler or drain ports and watch the brown run out. I also used gasoline but it stinks too much. I made wooden discs with a piece of rubber glued to one side. Drilled 3/8" hole in both. Used all thread through the bearings to secure the discs to seal off the bearing ends. Then blasted the drain and filler ports with my 3100PSi pressure washer. After blowing it out with air used alcohol to dry out the inside. With all that fuss never did see anything resembling metal come out. Take my advise and not remove them.

I'm guessing too that these bearings, when they swell, cause the bronze bearing caps to tighten. This probably accounts for the damaged holes in the caps from being beaten off with punches. I also used carb cleaner to flush out the bearings...it worked well. I wouldn't try taking them out. Getting just the caps off and on was enough of an ordeal.

I'm guessing too that these bearings, when they swell, cause the bronze bearing caps to tighten. This probably accounts for the damaged holes in the caps from being beaten off with punches. I also used carb cleaner to flush out the bearings...it worked well. I wouldn't try taking them out. Getting just the caps off and on was enough of an ordeal.

Except in Hendey's case, there are no bearing caps for the taper journal bearings

Thanks for all the replies. At the moment, it ain't broke so i won't try to fix it. I've got lots of time so i can run gallons on carb cleaner through it and get as much crud out as possible. I'm thinking i may want to make new end caps but well see.

Back