What's new
What's new

Shout Out to Hendeyman

madam

Plastic
I have a Hendey 16 x 54 inch 18 speed geared head engine lathe. The serial number is - "37674 H610".

I absolutely love this machine. It is one of the finest lathes I have operated in 50 Years.

I am desperately looking for three external gears. Those being the top three located outside the back of the headstock. The first gear being the one on the back of the spindle, then the sliding feed gear and the one below it is in mesh with.

Can you, (Hendey Man), or any one else help me?

Regards,
Mike.

Hendey's rather jumbled parts list says the spindle gear is # 81 on the Headstock jumble

Then there is the #103 Left Feed Bevel and sleeve - with three more pieces numbered 103 in that asssembly

And so on

Probably be extremely helpful to anyone trying to help you to POST PHOTOS of the subject gears and state their TOOTH COUNTS

See the thread on posting photos in the South Bend section

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...res-south-bend-forum-372508/?highlight=photos

Do remember to count any MISSING teeth if that is the case

madam:

got your email, but the telephone company was having trouble with a cable, so I was unable to reply.

Hendey lathe No.37674, a 16 x 54, 18 Speed Geared Head model, was ordered on January 19, 1951 and was scheduled for completion during the third week of April 1951. The original owner was Lamson and Sessions/ Jeffery Machine Company, no city or state was listed. The original
electrical equipment was Frame 324, 7-1/2HP, 1200RPM, 440Volts, 60cycles, 3Phase. The Clutch Pulley speed was 575RPM.

Regarding the Spindle Gear, Intermediate Gear and Sleeve Gear that were damaged, I no longer have any in stock for a 16 inch lathe built
in 1951. I stopped making repair parts for stock in December 1918 and I am only making back ordered parts since I am closing my shop at
the end of April. During a quick search of the files, I located the drawings for the Spindle Gear and the Intermediate Gear. It will
required a bit more research to find the Sleeve drawing and the drawing for the Intermediate Gear Stud. I know that you stated in your
email that you had made a replacement Stud, but I wanted to check to see if it had the same small amount of taper as was used on the
earlier Studs. If you would like to make these gears, contact me for a price for the set. Depending on the year of manufacture, gears
from the same size of lathe will NOT interchange. For example, the gears from a lathe built in 1934, will not operate on a lathe built
in 1944. The tooth count you are looking for will be 36T and 45T.

Hendeyman

I couldnt find a hendey being parted out in the facebook link. I tried hard too as I am looking for the sliding gears in the compound. (Wasnt sure if it was a 12/14 or larger)

Back