UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default sid

Quote Originally Posted by cyanidekid View Post
    I think it's equipped with the fluid tracer, just from looking at the brochure link. it's the thing that looks like a follow rest, right in the middle there (thats part of it). the fluid tracer accessory escaped the lovely green repaint. that is a WHOLE lot of lathe you have there!

ok, ok, tell us how you wound up with this, spill the story.. :toe tap:.. lets hear it..!
    well,i'm in n. california bay area and a companu had to clear out one of its buildings,so they gave away the big heavy stuff-so i got this and a hardinge tracer as well= a bunch of misc small stuff....am posting 2 more pics-hoping someone out there has any kind of manual i could see some pics of--pat a( and special thanks to john!!)ps the #$#@# pics all start out right side up-but the "manager " flips them-maybe john will fix these also!!-am trying to learn about the handle that would go on the bottom most shaft on the apron,as well as plenty other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Pat - see edited Post #15

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

pat trying again-these lathe(s) came from a company that was clearing out an old shop-i'm in the bay area,n calif-and so they gave away various machines-i got these 2-the sid and a hardinge tracer as well-have done some work and am doing more now to them-but they seem pretty good shape!!-please anyone w/ ANY knowledge-DO chime in--and a huge thank you to john for his help and advice-i'm going to try loading pics upside down and see if they come out right this time!!-pat-giving up for now-will let all the photos die out and try againAttachment 260478 this is what i've been trying to show close up-the lever is missing to a shaft that says 'lockout for either cross or long. feed-am opening the apron up to see what's up!!-pat

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"'lockout for either cross or long. feed" I assume it's supposed to be cross or longitudinal feed. Most lathes lock out the two feeds when the half-nut is engaged. Some only Longitudinal feed. Both half-nut and Longitudinal feed can't be used at the the same time, if done something will be broken!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yeah-it shows 3 positions-don't know if it shows in pic--cross/neutral/long-am going to look inside to see what the shaft looks like...of course,have to take other pcs out to get there!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

forgot to say-should there be a detent for the feed lever when engaged as well as when disengaged?-it only has a hole for when disengaged-it was worn so i tightened it up;am thinking to put a second hole....

Post Thanks / Like

these lathe(s) came from a company that was clearing out an old shop
    Seems like it would be a good idea to dig around there for a manual for the Sidney. Its apron is entirely different from my somewhat older Fluid Tracer brochure

Thumbnail from that undated brochure. Easy to see quite different right end and apron

Pat, I'll email those scans
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scan-02.jpg  

9. Likes cyanidekid liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

need advice (again) on my sidney-have it all back together-and my ? is about the feed-the acme thread only turns one way per each spindle direction-when in forward the carriage will only go from left to right;when spindle is reversed-only from right to left-so not possible to do normal machine cut;am enclosing 3 pics-apron,headstock end and pic of it while starting to take apart--all the levers on head end are speeds,none change direction-and one of them changes the feed from a hex drive shaft to the acme-but either way,carriage only goes as described above.on the apron,the large "propeller" handle is rapid(s)-it does go equally both ways on cross or long. -and the half nut is self explanatory-and the bottom little shaft barely seen is a lockout -NOTHING i've found to change direction back and forth on feed-.no manuals to be found on the internet-a few pics is all-so hoping someone w/ general knowledge can jump in-are not all lathes configured to have feed (s) able to be changed no matter the motor/spindle direction??Attachment 262243Attachment 262244Attachment 262245thanks in advance from everyone!!--pat

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pat pounden View Post
    please if someone knows why they flip over,help me get pics right side up-the files are correct,but this siteflips them!!??
    Your phone was upside down when you took them.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

wish it was that simple!!-the uploader will flip them unless you save the pic in something else-i now use the snip tool- and then have that made a jpeg-extra steps but thats how it is!!-thanks again to the member for that suggestion! ---sure hope SOMEONE can chime in about the non reversing?? feed problem--pat

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well,now i'm starting to wonder if you are saying only the tracer will make it feed from right to left-by your comment"lead screw reverse"-so lathes don't always have this feature?-and what about the feed rod?_is that one of the hex ones-i can shift back and forth between them,but both only feed l-r......thanks for the help!-patAttachment 262260Attachment 262261Attachment 262262

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ouch , a striped apron is on the way....

Forklifts no good for this sort of work.

img_0834.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

well,now i'm starting to wonder if you are saying only the tracer will make it feed from right to left-by your comment"lead screw reverse"-so lathes don't always have this feature?-and what about the feed rod?_is that one of the hex ones-i can shift back and forth between them,but both only feed l-r......thanks for the help!-pat
    To quote myself

Normal would be top most shaft is Lead Screw Reverse - if sold with that feature
    Thumbnail from source above shows LSR lever right end upper most apron. DO YOU HAVE A ROUND KEYWAYED SHAFT PASSING THRU APRON THERE?

If lathe has such, Rocking that shaft will put things in neutral and then the other direction
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lsr-views.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

no-there are 5 shafts total-and only one round-the acme thread-the others are all various sized hex shafts.one of which as you said is a feed also-and no reverse on either of them-i do notice in the various pics you have showed,there are two levers close together;i assume the lower would change the direction,as on my bradford lathe that i am going to post for sale next...thanks from pat!

Post Thanks / Like

no-there are 5 shafts total-and only one round-the acme thread-the others are all various sized hex shafts.one of which as you said is a feed also-and no reverse on either of them-i do notice in the various pics you have showed,there are two levers close together;i assume the lower would change the direction,as on my bradford lathe that i am going to post for sale next...thanks from pat!
    So - you DO NOT have lead screw reverse on apron

And a more detailed view. This is the apron before yours, and is on the earlier FLUID TRACER. What is with the two dark spots on yours where the long and cross clutch levers are on this thumbnail?

You are correct on the lower right changing directions (and providing a neutral position - needed when threading), but as far as I can tell, you have no lower right lever
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sid-ft-apron.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the covers over the shaft lock nuts were 'sticky',so i warmed the area a bit then hit them gently to remove them...that apron is kind of like taking a watch apart!!balls and springs and lots of timing things-and still had to just trial and error most everything--only ended up needing to replace one bearing,and even the oil pump just needed cleaning up-guess the old girl really hasn't been worked too hard...played w/ it a tiny bit yesterday when i got all the pieces put back together and you can take a 1/4 inch cut on mild without a whimper!pretty powerful machine!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
    Ouch , a striped apron is on the way....

Forklifts no good for this sort of work.

img_0834.jpg

I was trying to work out if that is a huge chuck of cast iron that has been ripped out of the headstock casting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RC99 View Post
    I was trying to work out if that is a huge chuck of cast iron that has been ripped out of the headstock casting.

"Take it up, take it up, take it - HEY, the whole lathes lift... CRASH - ok it's free now".

No worries, it's fixed.

img_0839-edit.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

amazingly,i only broke ONE more piece-a little dog down in the very bottom of the apron-and it was also cast-so welded it up,and turned it back dowm good as new--the weld is waiting on grinding when top is bolted down tight,keep intrusion down.. did spend plenty of time on the top rail,that's for sure-hand finishing it...thought a bolt that was hidden in plain sight was a welded piece!!learning....pat