Thread: Sidney Lathe,

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well-great news -john,thank you again for the various info's-just found,by pure accident, that the forward/upper hex shaft,which has no sort of handle ,is the feed reverse !!was trying to do something completely diff.,and put a 5/8 wrench on it to try and turn it slightly to access a allen bolt,and felt a 'clunk'-light bulb went on,and sure enough... made my week!!-curious why no lever,and thinking of making one!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pat pounden View Post
    which has no sort of handle
    I'd guess some PO protecting his investment from his half wit employees

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

good thought-but still haven't seen any pics w/ this ,and /or showing a lever-still have yet to unearth any real info/manual on this-and do need to figure 7 wires that are part of the tracer wiring that i cut,between the hydraulic pump assy and the tracer head...

Post Thanks / Like

Do bear in mind that unless the latest and greatest design involving such things as synchronizers you don't switch this around at elevated speeds

Give it a shot at say 150 RPM. Down (on your 5/8" wrench) should make lead screw turn so carriage would move towards head stock, part way up will just be neutral - no lead screw rotation, and all the way up should rotate lead screw so carriage moves towards tail stock. If late design as noted above there should be little or no noise associated with this. Older would be a noticeable CLUNK and at higher speeds the clunk would become a BANG.

Foregoing assumes machine has operable half nuts you can engage on lead screw

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well,you are a mind reader!!-was doing more stuff today,and NOW i notice a little tag next to where a handle would go---it is on the right hand end of the apron, around the corner,so to speak---'dont reverse lever higher than 140'--and that round shape IS where a lever would go-it is an exact miniature of the ones for the clutch/brake levers on a larger hex shaft...learning slowly here,but enjoying it!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails feed2.jpg