What's new
What's new

The Sidney Lathe Thread

neilert

Aluminum
Sidney made one of the best lathes in their era, but there is not much information available for them.

Fellow Sidney owners, let’s populate this thread with all things Sidney. I am working on scanning a model 32 manual to add to the forum, and will post several photos as well. Please add the year and model of the lathe you are adding to the thread if you know it.

If you are a Sidney enthusiast please participate and we will keep this special brand alive.

Neil in Kansas

The Sidney Machine Tool Co, Sidney, Ohio U.S.A.

Last edited:
Valiant effort!

(at least) the "Herringbone" Sidney was well-regarded enough to get the odd post over in the Monarch forum. That may not be the only "stray".

You might want to run searches, inside the PM site and with Go Ogle from the outside.

Police-up the stray bits from over the years - wherever they got to - and link them here, much as John just did,

I doubt there is the mass to spawn a bespoke forum, but a thread clean-up once done - or a new one, edited FROM it, and it could make a good "sticky".

Here is a photo of the amazing herringbone gears before cleanup. It is an engineering wonder.
1952 Model 32 16"

Attachments

• SIDNEY GEARS.jpg
    SIDNEY GEARS.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Here is a photo of the amazing herringbone gears before cleanup. It is an engineering wonder.

"Engineering wonder" was an outfit in Trenton, NJ spawned by Gustaf de Laval doing yard-wide Herringbones in no OD space atall for steam turbines, turn of a prior century. The money" for it? Earnt off milking machines and centrifugal cream separators, dairy industry.

See also how Andre "Limonmann" was able to afford to bankroll such funky automobiles, and why their grille-badge was a Chevron.

Both Looong before Sidney's used 'em.

Sidney was pragmatic smart to adopt the proven-good more than brand-new-inventive.

1952 Model 32 16"

You might find - as on Model X Lodge & Shipley - that those lever pivots are ECCENTRIC - so you can fine tune how nice the biz end places the dog clutches

YouTube

Here is a short video on my Sidney model 32. After a few months of working on the apron and other small bits it is running smoothly. I’m still working on getting the manual scanned.

Back