What's new
What's new

Sidney Model 32 16" - Tail Stock Morse Taper Question

Nemesis

Aluminum
I recently purchased a 1948 Sidney Model 32 16" lathe. As I am going over it quickly, I am repairing any little items that I come across. One item that I came across is that the morse taper in the tail stock is extremely chewed up. The exterior of the quill looks good, but the interior took some real abuse. I have read a ton of the posts on here seeing people for and against using a reamer to clean up the tail stock. Generally I believe the consensus is using a reamer to clean up some light burs is OK, but trying to do any aggressive work on the taper in the tail stock with a reamer is frowned upon. Thoughts on this one and options or do I just run it:

IMG_20201004_204141160.jpg

IMG_20201004_203521442.jpg

IMG_20201004_203530068.jpg

IMG_20201004_203513778.jpg

John, good call. I have always been meaning to get a set of hardness files, just hadn't gotten around to it yet. I just ordered a set and will check it when they get in. Thank you!

Something or nothing

Old school simple rule of thumb - if you can mark it with the corner of a ''reasonably fresh'' smooth file, you can machine it with HSS, .....the harder it is keep the speed lower.

I would want to re-machine it in the lathe with a taper attachment, if possible. This would keep it from wandering off-center. Then I might lightly try the reamer to finish it. I think by roughing it out with a reamer, it might tend to to go off center or crooked.
JH

Before attempting reaming I would want to know if it came from Sid Hardened and Ground. A file test would seem to be in order

Hey John,

Not really. It's harder than normal steel. But not hard hard. I would guess it's equivalent to 4140 pre-hard, though I've never turned that. I will say that it left a beautiful surface finish when I took 1/16" of an inch off mine with carbide, as drills were bottoming out. Someone in the past has shortened mine by a good 3/4", I presume due to repeated reaming over the years. It also has a a gnarly slot and a tapped tang "grabber" so I'd say it's very machinable.

attachment.php

272391d1576219314-1943-sidney-16x54-refurb-img_7011s.jpg

If the reamer is held firmly in the headstock, it should run pretty straight. I would dial in the tailstock though, and make sure it's fully concentric and axial aligned. You may need to shim the centerline of course if it's worn some.

If the taper has to be replaced, .....there is a way out if you haven't a taper turning lathe (and it gives you a really good MT socket)

Get a H&G turret lathe socket (parallel OD) and bore the TS quill to accept the OD of the turret socket, ...and shrink or Loctite in place (both work but Loctite's a lot easier)

Reaming is not going to end well, taper will be out of center... set it up true and resize the taper in the lathe with a taper atch. but be careful not to remove any more than you have to, the tang pocket will end up in the wrong place and you will have to face the front of the quill ...Phil

Reaming is not going to end well, taper will be out of center... set it up true and resize the taper in the lathe with a taper atch. but be careful not to remove any more than you have to, the tang pocket will end up in the wrong place and you will have to face the front of the quill ...Phil

Unless they changed it significantly, there is no tang pocket. Just a big old bored out section. Hence why my taper is only about 3 inches long now. I'm planning to remake it someday and when I do include a tang pocket. Someone instead drilled and tapped mine for a set screw which prevents rotation and works pretty well.

I think the compound should have enough travel if the T/A is not an option.

Back