What's new
What's new

Sidney Model 32 lathe apron cross feed handle

neilert

Aluminum
I have a 1952 Sidney model 32 lathe, and the cross feed handle that engages the hirth clutch will not stay engaged. Does anyone have a photo of their handle that works properly?

The problem could be the hirth serrated clutch, bearing clearances, handle adjustment, or wear on the handle itself that is causing the problem. The manual shows a sharp corner for a cam action when pulled, but mine has a radius.

The handle in question is part number LW-189.

Thank you!

Neil

Attachments

• 2E93DAB3-5DA2-454C-80CF-FF7E63515396.jpg
    2E93DAB3-5DA2-454C-80CF-FF7E63515396.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
I'm wondering if this is enough wear on the handle to make it so it doesn't stay engaged. I may go ahead and add some material to create a sharp edge to see if that is the problem.

Attachments

• IMG-0326.jpg
    IMG-0326.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG-0327.jpg
    IMG-0327.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 56
I wonder if the pins are sheared one side or the other?

Before making it more "pointy", how about a .020" feeler each side to see if that does anything?

I have the assembly on the workbench, and there isn't anything sheared. Really appreciate your help! I will try the feeler idea to see if it locks the cam in the engaged position. This is a newly acquired lathe and a unique clutch design, so I'm not quite sure how it is supposed to work.

I'll try a few things and report back.

Thank you!

I have a model 32, I had to adjust my handles, it’s been awhile but it seems if I remember right there is a exposed Allen screw that you adjust externally to get firmer engagement.

I have a model 32, I had to adjust my handles, it’s been awhile but it seems if I remember right there is a exposed Allen screw that you adjust externally to get firmer engagement.

Yes, mine has the allen set screw as well. I tried every adjustment, but still no luck.
Thank you- Neil

Fixed.
I ended up doing a CAD drawing to virtually rotate the lever on it’s pin. The drawing showed that the slight radius was enough to make it so the cam action couldn’t lock into place because there was no edge off of the axis of the pin. In the end I should have just trusted the drawing in the manual. Removing about 1/32” from the faces to create a sharp angled corner worked. Now the lever snaps into place and holds tightly. Hope this helps others with Sidney lathes.

Back