What's new
What's new

Simplex Lathe

Hephaestus72

Hot Rolled
Not a "mystery lathe" but It's driving me nuts..lol
Does anyone have any info on this company or machine? Lathes.uk mentions it but then goes right into the belgium Mondial company.This "Simplex" was from east hamilton ohio.

Bought it as a pile of grease and rust vaguely shaped like a lathe and have been fairly pleased with what it's turning into.

I'd like to know more about the company and it's machines, I'd love to find a date for mine

Anyone else own one of these relics? Or have any info on the company?

D.L.Mix

Attachments

• 9ee1_1.jpg
    9ee1_1.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,642
  • 9e90_1.jpg
    9e90_1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,603
  • DSC0000822.JPG
    DSC0000822.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 3,255
  • DSC0000722.JPG
    DSC0000722.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 2,372
  • DSC0000322.JPG
    DSC0000322.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 1,439
Thanks for the kudos, on this site that means alot, I got kinda lucky, it'd been neglected but not abused too much beyond that. lotsa grease and rust, everything stuck and some broken handles, but it's shaping up to be a keeper.

Hephaestus72,

Any luck on finding out more about this lathe? I recently found one almost exactly the same....

Jim

Hephaestus72 last visited the forum in September of last year.

I know... :( . It was a forlorn hope, I guess. He and one other (I think) are the only ones who have ever posted pictures resembling my lathe (headstock, apron, tailstock castings).

Jim

Super save--turned a rare one back into a great looking chip maker!

I don't see a tailstock--hope that one came with it. Seems that a tailstock would be a hard thing to miss when a lathe is moved, but it does happen.

Herb

Hi, I see I am a few years behind, but I have recently acquired one of these relics and am finding similar information. My machine still has the belt drive, so I am looking for what horsepower motor is required for this. Thanks.
Greg Lang

Welcome to forum Greg. I'll bet hardly anyone knows the relative size (swing) of lathe you are asking about. All we have are the OPs photos to guess from. As a point of reference, the 13" South Bend I started with in 1966 did just fine with a 1/3 HP motor

Hi, I see I am a few years behind, but I have recently acquired one of these relics and am finding similar information. My machine still has the belt drive, so I am looking for what horsepower motor is required for this. Thanks.
Greg Lang

Simplex appears to be on a dealer's tag, with the dealer being in Cleveland.

The design and shape of the headstock and bed suggest a lathe that was sometimes badged as "Rapid Precision" and sold in the USA. The "Rapid Precision" lathes are not too common, and the belief is they were built in Germany, pre WWII, for export. As a result, fasteners on the lathe parts will be in US thread sizes, and micrometer collars will be in inch measurements, and the quick change gearbox will cut "threads per inch".

The clues are that humped headstock around the sprindle bull gear, and the shape of some of the levers, as well as the design of the headstock spindle bearings. These are tapered bronze bearings, adjustable with threaded collars on the inside and outside of the headstock. The oil cups on the headstock feed into thin-walled brass or bronze tubing. This tubing serves not only to conduct the oil into the headstock bearings, but as locator/anti-rotation dowels for the bearings as well as for the headstock top cover. If you need to pull the bearings, you have to pull up those bronze oil tubes. When you lift the headstock top cover off, you will find the bronze tubes sticking up from the end walls. This is no mistake, those projecting pieces of the bearing oil tubes are there for a purpose.

The "rapid Precision" lathes used that ball-end handlever to shift the high/low spindle speed gearing (a set of jaw or dog clutches). My own Rapid Precision lathe had the same lever, same exact design, same location and same humped headstock.

The "Rapid Precision" lathes were built by a German manufacturer, but were not up to the standards of higher end German machine tools. I once owned a "Rapid Precision" lathe, about 10" swing, with loose change gears- back in about 1968 or so. At the time there was no internet, and no one had ever heard of a "Rapid Precision" lathe. The only place the name appeared was on the change gear data plate. The lathe was sold around 1986, so is long gone. Years later, with the arrival of the internet and this 'board, some other person posted about owning a "Rapid Precision" lathe and posted photos. His lathe had the quick change gearbox, but was otherwise very much like the 10" Rapid Precision lathe I had once owned. In the discussion of the Rapid Precision lathes, the strong belief was these were German built machines, built for export and re-sale. Since these machines were being built to a price point, and being built for re-sale by a variety of companies or dealers, no maker's name was incorporated into the castings. This allowed the marketer of the lathes to affix his own nameplate.

Look on Tony Griffith's Lathe Archive at some of the pre-war German lathes and you will see some strong resemblances. At this point, I'd say you have an exceedingly rare lathe, and I do not think you will find much further information. I do remember that the spindle nose thread on my 10" Rapid Precision lathe corresponded to the spindle nose thread on a 10" Southbend lathe (if my memory serves me correctly).

Lathe swing

Welcome to forum Greg. I'll bet hardly anyone knows the relative size (swing) of lathe you are asking about. All we have are the OPs photos to guess from. As a point of reference, the 13" South Bend I started with in 1966 did just fine with a 1/3 HP motor

Mine is 12" swing with an overall bed length of 50"...

Greg, where are you located? Our lathes all were originally built belt drive with a clutch drive pulley, the company went into receivership around 1918-1920 (bankruptcy seizure of assets). I was planning on a 2hp motor since it's an early industrial gear head lathe probably built for wartime (WW I) production.

Regards, Jim

Share the wealth!

Update:

My research has led me to believe this lathe, and mine, were made in Richmond, Indiana.
H.R. Porter of Richmond, Indiana | Welcome To Wayne County, Indiana…
I wish H72 was still up on the board so I could discuss related stuff with him, as I will be starting my restoration this fall.... :(

Jim :typing:

Simplex appears to be on a dealer's tag, with the dealer being in Cleveland.

The design and shape of the headstock and bed suggest a lathe that was sometimes badged as "Rapid Precision" and sold in the USA. The "Rapid Precision" lathes are not too common, and the belief is they were built in Germany, pre WWII, for export. As a result, fasteners on the lathe parts will be in US thread sizes, and micrometer collars will be in inch measurements, and the quick change gearbox will cut "threads per inch".

The clues are that humped headstock around the sprindle bull gear, and the shape of some of the levers, as well as the design of the headstock spindle bearings. These are tapered bronze bearings, adjustable with threaded collars on the inside and outside of the headstock. The oil cups on the headstock feed into thin-walled brass or bronze tubing. This tubing serves not only to conduct the oil into the headstock bearings, but as locator/anti-rotation dowels for the bearings as well as for the headstock top cover. If you need to pull the bearings, you have to pull up those bronze oil tubes. When you lift the headstock top cover off, you will find the bronze tubes sticking up from the end walls. This is no mistake, those projecting pieces of the bearing oil tubes are there for a purpose.

The "rapid Precision" lathes used that ball-end handlever to shift the high/low spindle speed gearing (a set of jaw or dog clutches). My own Rapid Precision lathe had the same lever, same exact design, same location and same humped headstock.

The "Rapid Precision" lathes were built by a German manufacturer, but were not up to the standards of higher end German machine tools. I once owned a "Rapid Precision" lathe, about 10" swing, with loose change gears- back in about 1968 or so. At the time there was no internet, and no one had ever heard of a "Rapid Precision" lathe. The only place the name appeared was on the change gear data plate. The lathe was sold around 1986, so is long gone. Years later, with the arrival of the internet and this 'board, some other person posted about owning a "Rapid Precision" lathe and posted photos. His lathe had the quick change gearbox, but was otherwise very much like the 10" Rapid Precision lathe I had once owned. In the discussion of the Rapid Precision lathes, the strong belief was these were German built machines, built for export and re-sale. Since these machines were being built to a price point, and being built for re-sale by a variety of companies or dealers, no maker's name was incorporated into the castings. This allowed the marketer of the lathes to affix his own nameplate.

Look on Tony Griffith's Lathe Archive at some of the pre-war German lathes and you will see some strong resemblances. At this point, I'd say you have an exceedingly rare lathe, and I do not think you will find much further information. I do remember that the spindle nose thread on my 10" Rapid Precision lathe corresponded to the spindle nose thread on a 10" Southbend lathe (if my memory serves me correctly).

Joe, I'm really interested in your info! The patent info I've dug up support the home-grown manufacture, but some of your points bear out with my lathe.

I'm stuck in Professional Development class right now... more later.

Jim

Old pics of my Simplex

Some pics from when I started the restoration...

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_0539.jpg
    IMG_0539.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_0540.jpg
    IMG_0540.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_0545.jpg
    IMG_0545.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG_0549.jpg
    IMG_0549.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_0538.jpg
    IMG_0538.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 290
Update:

My research has led me to believe this lathe, and mine, were made in Richmond, Indiana.
H.R. Porter of Richmond, Indiana | Welcome To Wayne County, Indiana…
I wish H72 was still up on the board so I could discuss related stuff with him, as I will be starting my restoration this fall.... :(

Jim :typing:

Oops.... Dead Link. PM me and I can add some info... patents and historical references.

Sad to say that there is almost NO info out there on our lathes. I've been hoping to communicate with someone before I go any farther on my restoration.

Jim

Hi Jim,
If you'd like to see your (remarkable) restoration from abandoned-in-a-ditch-to-turning-parts-for-NASA in the Archive, just send me as many high-resolution pictures that you have (try WeTransfer - simple,quick and reliable). If you have some notes about what the work involved I'd be glad to include those as well. My direct email is: [email protected] My best wishes, Tony. lathes.co.uk

Stalled restoration

Tony,

I'd love to! Two problems, though...
1. Cameras and laptops with pictures and video on them aren't as durable as our old lathes.
2. To my eternal shame :wrong: I did an initial go-through disassembly, refit, and repaint to ID problems and issues to corrected later.... I painted it hammertone black. Not even CLOSE to the original black.

So it's apart now waiting on a new back gear shaft (original has a slight bend), re-bushing some of the bores on the apron (see Randy Richards' videos), repaint to a close-to-original black, some cleanup on some worrying brazing on the apron (I'm dreading the autopsy on that), making some replacement change gears, and so on... I wouldn't mind sharing once I get back into it. I'm a teacher (physics) now after a 1st career in the Army, and summertime is when I do these projects, and other projects bumped the lathe this summer. I've been making due with my little gR/Zz/y 0602 in the meantime (please don't tell anyone :D)

Jim

Back