What's new
What's new

Single flute cutters

Or Drills. Or Reams. Or Form tools. Very common. Very handy. Very much still used. These days, we just make them ourselves. A good Toolmaker and a Deckel SO won't ever lack cutting tools.

Gorton would have sold these to go with their engraving machines and like Deckel also sold a cutter grinder to grind them .
George Gorton Machine models
I Momax is the Alloy of H.S.S. sold by Cleveland .
I haven’t been able to find a grade comparison chart easily on line to see if Momax covers more than one grade but someone will likely know if it compares to M2 or perhaps M4
George Gorton Machine Co. Cutters, Grinders, and Accessories catalog, 1949, Form 1317-M
Click on the items to enlarge.
George Gorton Machine Co. Cutters, Grinders, and Accessories catalog, 194, Form 1317-G
I have also ground tools of this type to use for reaming small tapered holes in the lathe .
I’ll look for a picture later.
Regards,
Jim
P.S Rivett was faster than me.

The box label does kind of give it away. I have some of those. The half round split saves a lot of time using a surface grinder to split a drill blank if you need a cutter with a special angle or other feature. My Green and Alexander cutter grinders can turn a split blank into an engraving cutter in a very short time. My little Green 106 pantograph can use 1/8" shank cutters and the big Green D2 can use up to 1/4" cutters.

Larry

Back