What's new
What's new

Single Groove pulley? A OR B 1HP 1800 RPM motor

bjr23

Plastic
I've not posted in a while and not sure if I'm in the right section. I've studied changing my Sebastian 13-48 School gear head lathe from 3 phase. I mean I've ran the studies from shop built Rotary Phase converter; Variable Frequency drive and installing a counter shaft for speed reduction. NOW, the latest is just installing a Harbor Freight 1 Hp dual voltage reversible 1800 RPM motor with a 2-1/4" diameter pulley as the spindle pulley is 6-3/4" approximately. I would nearly get my 600 spindle rpm that the book calls for. What this gets me is simplicity and I can start making chips MAYBE. I think I want to run a "B" width belt because I'll be right at minimum diameter for that Horsepower. Is there any experience with this small of single belt pulley? Do you think I be able cut anything or will the belt just slip? You guys Keep me goin' as I'm at the age there isn't much that keeps me interested other than my tinkering/dittling with junk stuff. For best friend and conversation I've a little long haired chihuahua dog, so, I don't need much else. bjr23

A single "A" will haul about FIVE HP if the smallest pulley is around FIVE inches.

Under 3" might be considered usable for a mere 1 HP but you still want the "A" section, not the stiffer "B". Dual sheaves and seperate - preferably spring-loaded - tensioners would be wise. You can rob automotive parts-bins cheaply as a serpentine back roller will work OK on an "A" backing, too. See MOPAR Caravan for one example.

Here again "A" section are inherently length matched, so a pair will work well.

All that said it is PolyVee and MicroVee AKA "serpentine" that handle small-diameter pulleys the best.

The shallower grooves are easier to DIY than deep-Vee if a salvaged automotive or off-the shelf size isn't a fit to your needs. They actually work well even without grooves.

At 1 HP, even a FLAT belt will do just fine.

Back