What's new
What's new

Sioux 956 Valve Grinder - Info needed

dalmatiangirl61

Diamond
I'm looking (online) at a Sioux 956 valve grinder, this was the larger machine that could do much larger than automotive valves. By the pics it appears to be a machine sitting on a cabinet, but seller insists it is all 1 piece, has no way to load it, and advises "bring help to lift". I no longer carry extra guys in my back pocket, and it looks to me like machine would unbolt, slide it into truck bed, then as longer as seller is not decrepit the 2 of us should be able to heave the cabinet in. Anyone have more info on this machine and how hard it is to separate machine from the cabinet? Too far away for a quick look., pic from ad below.

Attachments

• Sioux 956.jpg
    Sioux 956.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 127
Most tool rentals have those drop deck trailers that sit right down on the ground, I rented one a few months bacl, loaded a power shear by myself and drove home, I think it was 120 bucks, I picked it up Friday afternoon and returned it Monday morning, sweet deal.

There is more sanity in Reno than Texas?

It's amazing how many people want to sell some heavy piece-of-whatever and they expect the buyer to show up with the means to lift it.

Most tool rentals have those drop deck trailers that sit right down on the ground, I rented one a few months bacl, loaded a power shear by myself and drove home, I think it was 120 bucks, I picked it up Friday afternoon and returned it Monday morning, sweet deal.

There is more sanity in Reno than Texas?

No tool rental place here, there is in Reno, but its a 5 hour drive there which makes returning it problematic. If I can get in/out of Reno in an hour I'm ok with that, won't be breathing easy till I get past Fallon.

Limy
I've moved the standard Sioux's before, yeah not lite, expecting this one to be a bit heavier, I was thinking of sliding from cabinet right onto truck bed, avoiding major lifting.

Found a manual for it, looks like there is a gearbox inside the cabinet to drive the chuck head.
https://www.siouxtools.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/A433C.pdf

How tight is your time deadline? I will be in Reno In a couple weeks on the way to Ca around 3 in the afternoon, Wonder Woman and I could help. We have a 10' aluminum ramp good for 1200lbs and a good dolly.

At the moment it is open-ended and just thinking about it, I'm a day or 2 away from finishing the Sunnen hone, and have another Sioux (680) in pieces ready to assemble, but this one does have both chuck heads so it can do the larger valves if I ever need that. You know, more is better:D

I have thought that if one is good two is better, however I am coming up on having moved most of 1/2 million lbs of stuff from Ca to Id and that is after I sold/gave away 1/4 or more of it. My wife says I need a lighter hobby, I used to work on pocket watches but the parts got too small and I can't see them and my hands won't hold still enough to start the tiny screws even if I can make them big enough to see. You could put the whole watch shop in a kids wagon to move it around.

Looks like it can be scooted around on that nice concrete floor. I would bring 2 6 ft long 2x8 planks, and a piece of 2x2 about a foot long, nails, light ratchet-straps, a 5 ft circumference nylon sling, a 12 ft chain, and a comealong.

Lay the 2 2x8's on the floor side-by-side. Nail the cleat across them at such a distance from one end, that the cleat fits under the machine (between the "legs), when you stand the 2x8's up flat against the back of the machine

Stand the 2x8's up flat against the back of the machine, and secure them to it with the ratchet straps.

Move things around until you can back your pickup, with tailgate open, right up against those standing-up 2x8's

Rig the nylon sling as a choker around the 2x8's just above the machine...hopefully this will be a foot or so above your truck's tailgate and floor level.

Hopefully your truck has a strong point at the front of the bed. If not, loop that 12 ft chain around the front of the bed. You just scratched your truck. Now it looks like a truck

Hook comealong between nylon sling and strong-point (or chain) and pull. Machine will tilt up on its back on your tailgate and slide into bed.

Back