What's new
What's new

Skinner Chuck Key

MyLilMule

Hot Rolled
New to machining, and found this Skinner Chuck on a dividing head. I’ve tried searching but can’t seem to find a source for a key for this. Looks like it’s somewhere around 11-12mm. Too small for 1/2 and too big for 7/16”.

Where would I find an appropriate key for this outside of making one?

5585ea6a128db3350e010596a0af71a6.jpg

71c778711a6c97c61ca2c0c084e15c87.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you measure the square with a set of calipers? I am betting it is a 7/16" but the corners of your female wrench were too rounded to fit on that male square.

It being stamped made in america make me suspect it wouldn't be 12mm

PS, 12mm=.472, 11mm=.433, 7/16=.438

Boy, was I wrong. 12mm would probably be about perfect.
15/32=.469, 12mm=.472

Last edited:
Remember, they didn't use Metric measurements way back when this chuck was made. It's all fractional or odd ball decimal dimensions as Buck, Cushman, and Union used on some of their chuck wrenches back in time.

I knew it wouldn’t be metric, just providing that for reference.

I don’t have a 15/32” wrench, but sounds like it would be the right size.

Thanks all!

I knew it wouldn’t be metric, just providing that for reference.

I don’t have a 15/32” wrench, but sounds like it would be the right size.

Thanks all!

Could was, but...

You are not going to find it easy to LOCATE either of a 12 mm or 15/32" in four-point ... or even 8-point ... either.

"Bastard size", either tribe.

And a 12-point will just f**k it up.

Try for a "vintage" OEM one.

Or JF make it.

Why?!! I am all about making a part/tool but for 45 bucks,,,you are going to screw around for more than that in TIME alone making one. Plus, it's always nice to have the factory one especially for our older machines.

Why?!! I am all about making a part/tool but for 45 bucks,,,you are going to screw around for more than that in TIME alone making one. Plus, it's always nice to have the factory one especially for our older machines.

I’m a hobbyist. My time is free.

I’m a hobbyist. My time is free.

"Free"? As in unlimited supply at no measurable cost?

Really?

I've been retired since 1994.

But I have not YET been able to figure out the price of buying BACK.. yesterday afternoon.... wasted.. and adding it back to the ever-diminishing time ahead of me being consumed.

In satisfaction.. or otherwise.

"Free"?

Or is it the most valuable thing you EVER had and STILL HAVE .... "time" - irreplaceable at ANY price?

But I have not YET been able to figure out the price of buying BACK.. yesterday afternoon.... wasted.. and adding it back to the ever-diminishing time ahead of me being consumed.

Bill,

If you would spend less time filling this forum with your "comments" you would have all sorts of time to spend in your shop making stuff that you could show us pictures of here on PM.
;)

Bill,

If you would spend less time filling this forum with your "comments" you would have all sorts of time to spend in your shop making stuff that you could show us pictures of here on PM.
;)

I have him on my ignore list, don't see anything he writes unless someone quotes him. lolz.

Bill,

;)

So far, nobody has offered any good reason why I would WANT to, though?
I'm good with letting OTHER folks who actually ENJOY it "make chips".

Research, thinking, and making decisions always paid better.
It's even more FUN!

:)

And I have put my "money where my opinion is" on chucks, too, BTW:

Even trying to cherry-pick the best available of used chucks .. and be willing to pay a bit more ... simply didn't work as well as BRAND NEW ones. Roughly one out of three bought used was even worth keeping AT ALL.

They just aren't THAT expensive for how long they last if bought new... then not abused to death.

Y'all want some NICE 4-J chucks (plus one-each 2J, 6-J, and magnetic)?

Outlive me. Watch for my obituary!

:D

I have him on my ignore list, don't see anything he writes unless someone quotes him. lolz.

OH F**K!!!

I WONDERED why there was over a million USD$ disappearing out of my bank account every f****g time I posted on PM!

NOW I know?

There really IS a "tax on bullshit!"

Now.. can YOU afford the price of it?

.. and still retain a healthy sense of humour?

Seriously.. "ignore" just works.

So does skipping right PAST ANYTHING you don't care for.

PM ... or life in general.

It is HARD to fathom WHY some folks get so wound-up about things they don't like ... and never did have to read, wear, eat, drive, work alongside, pay-for..

.... nor even shag and "pretend to love".. before being allowed to fall asleep...

hobbyist are the cheapest group of people you will ever find no mater what field it is . when my dad had his shop he had a friend that would come by and when he walked in my dad would go cheep cheep and the guy would say back i am not cheep i am just thrifty and my dad would say back you call it what you want and i will call it what i want . one more point i had a mauser t rifle [ 13 mm anti tank bolt gun ww1] extractor [and that's all of it i ever had] this was back in the 90's so i put it up for sell this guy wants to buy but he starts him haying about the price tells me he may just make one for that price i tell him your telling me that your time is not worth much and your wasting mine next words out of his mouth i will take it . some people know the price of every thing and the value of nothing . all you have in life is time and if you let people wast it you won't get any thing done .

hobbyist are the cheapest group of people you will ever find no mater what field it is

I like the way you didn't offend every hobbyist in any field by not over generalizing and diminishing them. :rolleyes5:

I'm a hobbyist. I LIKE TO MAKE THINGS AS A HOBBY. Why the fart would I buy something for $45 when I can make it a fun project?

If it was all about the Benjamins, I wouldn't have bought a lathe and a Bridgeport and all the tooling I have SO FAR. It'd be soooooo much CHEAPER.

But since I'm too cheap to pay $45 for a key, I'll just buy a lathe and a mill and all that tooling and make one myself. Because I'm cheap. :nutter:

I like the way you didn't offend every hobbyist in any field by not over generalizing and diminishing them. :rolleyes5:

I'm a hobbyist. I LIKE TO MAKE THINGS AS A HOBBY. Why the fart would I buy something for $45 when I can make it a fun project?

If it was all about the Benjamins, I wouldn't have bought a lathe and a Bridgeport and all the tooling I have SO FAR. It'd be soooooo much CHEAPER.

But since I'm too cheap to pay $45 for a key, I'll just buy a lathe and a mill and all that tooling and make one myself. Because I'm cheap. :nutter:

LOL!

I think I'm right at around a 100 large spend on "Old Iron hobby" over the past ten years? Flying airplanes was ages ago. Or fast, "exotic" - or both - motorcars.

All of it - combined - has proven cheaper than wimmin' .... by around 20 to one.

And I can't even be bothered to manufacture excuses for not making excuses that would pass QC.

Can't take that sort of joke?

Pound sand.

My shop. My rules, my time to waste ... however I see fit.

When I even get off my ass and find the energy and inclination to even be BOTHERED to waste time. Most days, I'm too lazy to even start at wasting enough of it to matter..

You'd have to know procrastination?

Back