What's new
What's new

Small Chas.A. Strelinger Steam Governor finished.

Lester Bowman

Hot Rolled
This little 1/4" npt steam governor came with the little steam launch engine pictured. The governor was the deciding factor to purchase this steam plant being small and very scarce in this size.

I worked on it in stages.first came the disassembly which was no small task because the steel screws were all rotted off. Most needed to be carefully drilled out. The upper casting was bent causing the gears to be out of mesh.I was able to carefully straighten this. The governor is brass according to the Chas. A. Strelinger catalog who were based in Chicago (correction..Detroit, Mich ). Available in three sizes 1/4" pipe was the smallest. Cost was two dollars for brass, one dollar for cast iron castings.

The person who built this governor made it to work..not look pretty. Bicycle spokes were used for most of the pins and valve spindle. The method of retaining the valve spindle in the valve spool was to flatten the end of the spoke then driving it into the hole drilled in the spool. The original gear teeth at some point were deepened with a slotting file and were a mess. I sourced new ones one of which I had to silver solder a larger hub in place to make it work.

Working on it a bit at a time I eventually made all new parts for it except for the basic castings. I also made the small tensioning arm and idler for it knowing belt stretch would be a problem. The main castings as received still had flash and sprue's attached so...all this came off with files and emery cloth. I think it turned out nice and it works SO perfectly. As originally built it had nary an oil hole.It has quite a few of them now :)

Attachments

• 2017-07-24 17.01.41 (2).jpg
    2017-07-24 17.01.41 (2).jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 278
  • 100_4739.jpg
    100_4739.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 748
  • 100_4737.jpg
    100_4737.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 405
  • 100_4738.jpg
    100_4738.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 307
  • 100_4743.jpg
    100_4743.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
A few more detailed pics. It is worthy to note this is not a toy governor but a full size albeit small steam governor. The spool valve is not the typical "balanced" valve but more of a plug valve simply closing off the main inlet port.

It isn't the most precision small working steam governor in the world. I did the best I could with more "scale" screws and nuts although you can see some Allen headed set screws in places. I wanted these in place to make sure none of these small fits work loose in service.

Now..the bottom end of this engine needs to be gone through and tightened up..bearings shimmed and crank journals polished. However this engines runs so smoothly I decided this will be a later project as I will only be running it slow and easy. Got to leave some things for retirement :)

I picked up a small brass three bladed boat propeller and plan to incorporate it into the final mounting of this little vertical launch engine. Just wanted to share a small triumph with you who enjoy steam engines :)

Attachments

• 100_4740.jpg
    100_4740.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 134
  • 100_4741.jpg
    100_4741.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 147
  • 100_4742.jpg
    100_4742.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 177
  • 100_4736.jpg
    100_4736.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 174
  • 100_4737.jpg
    100_4737.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 151
Not to seek argument, but I believe Chas. A. Strelinger was a Detroit business. At least they were when they were bought out and liquidated in the late 1980's. Strelinger was an industrial equipment retailer similar to McMaster Carr.

Wonderful job on your restoration.

HUA = Head up *ss.

Gotta know the lingo.

Nice governor. Infrequently one sees the unmachined, unassembled castings. I think a lot of kit engines were made and the owner decided not to do the hard part and make the governor.

Joe in NH

Lester:

Another great job in your restoration work. Anytime you say the word and send some dimensions along, I can get to work on the design of another "porcupine" boiler with modern construction.

The little governor is definitely a "real governor" and not some ornament. It also solves a question about a little governor I've had for ages. About 35 years ago, a man of advanced years called me. This was pre internet, so I think he might have found me by way of a post in "Live Steam" magazine which I once subscribed to. At any rate, the fellow wanted to find a good home for a small horizontal steam engine he'd had for most of his life. It is a horizontal engine of about 2" x 3", center crank with the connecting rod having the classic wedge-adjustable (gib and cotter ?) type brasses at each end. It had been used hard, and the man did not know all the history on it. His belief was it had been at an exposition in San Francisco in the early 20th century where it drove an exhibit of miniature factory equipment to demonstrate how guards could be applied to them. The man would not part with the miniature machines, but did sell me the engine. He said he believed the engine had spent many years in a school of some sort and was used to train stationary engineers. This was borne out by well-worn and mis-matched nuts on most of the studbolts. With the engine, separately, was a small governor. It is about 1/8" NPT, and is very similar to the Strelinger governor. The difference is this 1/8" NPT governor did not utilize a bevel or mitre gear drive, but used idler pulleys (on the governor body) to turn the round belt 90 degrees and guide it off to make the angle needed to belt off the crankshaft. The little governor had been butchered, and it has been a project I've meant to get to. It has very small diameter loose ball bearings in it, and was once nickel plated. It is a tossup whether it is a Strelinger governor or a governor off a "popcorn" steam engine. Either way, I figure it is a winter project to see what I can do with the little governor.

Funny thing about your engine with the governor and reverse gear: until you mentioned getting it coupled to a boat propellor, I imagined it as being the just the engine to drive a ceiling fan. Running on shop air with a governor and reverse linkage, it would be belted to a ceiling fan. The governor would protect the engine in case the belt to the fan broke, and the Stephenson's link motion would let you reverse the fan depending on the time of the year. My wife saw a bottle frame steam engine recently, and said she liked the lines of it. Everyone should have a wife like mine. I told her my idea of building another model engine, this one a bottle frame vertical, to drive a ceiling fan in my office. She thinks that is a great idea.

To digress, I've loved steam engines since I was a tiny boy of maybe 4 years of age and first saw a Skinner Unaflow engine at work. At some point in my childhood, my parents took a trip to Lancaster County, PA with me. They went to a woodworking shop owned and run by a man whose last name was Ebersoll (sp ?). Ebersoll was a kindly Amishman. He showed us around his shop and my parents bought a small child's chair and foot stool for me from him and another chair for the house. Ebersoll took us up into his office, and on the wall over his desk, he had a shelf with some steam engine models he'd built from castings. A small horizontal model engine was connected to shop air, and when he cracked the valve, the engine drove the movement from a music box. I was immediately hooked. We stayed in touch with Mr. Ebersoll, and it was he who introduced me to the Stuart Turner line of model engine castings.

Ebersoll, being Amish, could not use electricity in his woodworking shop. He had taken an old horizontal boiler and was using it as a compressed air receiver, and had a diesel driven compressor to charge it up. He ran his shop on compressed air. He said it had been steam powered up until a short while before my parents and I met him. Ebersoll wore bib overalls, wire-rimmed glasses and had a long white beard. Biblical quotes were on his wall, and as a little boy, I was struck by his kindliness and gentleness aside from being instantly hooked on his shop and its overall atmosphere. At about that same point in time, I was learning about concept of death, and was being told how I'd been named for a grandfather who had died about 5 years before I was born. I was told the kind of things mothers and grandmothers tell little boys about such matters, how the soul lives on when the earthly body of a person dies, and began to wonder where heaven was, whether my grandfather was there, and what it was like. I was told he'd been a farmer and craftsman, someone who loved animals and was a kind and gentle man, and how he'd have loved me.

One rainy day, to relieve boredom, Mom sent me up into our attic to poke around. The attic was unfinished, and I could hear the rain on the roof and the smells of dust and the rough sawn lumber our house was framed with were always in the air in the attic. I got to thinking and imagining, and finally decided that Mr. Ebersoll was God or at least a Prophet, given depictions little children were given of God and the Prophets. I then decided Ebersoll's shop was heaven. As things spun out in my mind, I imagined Ebersoll and his crew made new bodies for new children out of the clean, fresh smelling wood and souls that were waiting for a body were fitted into them. I decided heaven had to be in Ebersoll's shop with its steam engines and flapping leather belts and fresh smells of lumber being milled, and Ebersoll was as good a man as any to preside over the hereafter. To this day, I sometimes return to that childish vision of heaven, a place with kindly men in overalls and wire rimmed spectacles, with lineshafting and flapping belts driven by a steam engine, with the clean fresh smell of milled lumber in the air. As the years passed, this vision always stuck with me, though as I came into the machinist trade and became an engineer, the smell of the heaven I imagined tended to be tinged with the aromas of hot steam cylinder oil and sulphur cutting oil rather than milled lumber.

I've always meant to honor the memory and example Mr. Ebersoll set for me by putting a model engine on a wall bracket to do some sort of "useful work". Rather than have it drive a music box or similar, a ceiling fan seems more practical. Of course, to drive a ceiling fan, having a means of reversing rotation of the fan in winter or summer is a necessity. Easier than re-pitching the blades. Your little bottle frame marine engine with its governor has pretty much awakened the old images of Mr. Ebersoll and so much else for me. Sweet memories and nice visions, for sure, and for this I thank you.

Joe..what a marvelous digression of memory and deep respect is revealed in your response to this little steam governor. To remember such a gentle man in such a way astonishes me because this Mr. Ebersoll comes alive in my mind through your writing. You were able through your words to connect me with a man who yet lives because of his influence and kindness toward you and your family. It is said a man is not dead until his name is no longer spoken. This old Amish gentleman lives still in heart and word. You have used language beyond words portraying a man and his work..his joy and his Faith yet lives. Well done Joe Michaels.

Those times you speak of as a boy..how you were "hooked" with a steam driven music box..how you loved steam engines from such an early age..how you imagined life and death to be. Marvelous thoughts eloquently written. I have often wondered how Mr. Ebersoll and men like yourself are able to pick up a tool and intuitively know how it is held and used. I have finally decided this is something which must somehow work its way down to us through our Genes or perhaps a type of blessing bestowed upon some long ago Patriarch of the family.

Not everyone is able to see things in his mind and make these things happen with his hands. Only a few find the beauty left after every pull of the draw knife. Being made in the image of our Creator we too yearn to create beauty and with such beauty coming in many wondrous textures and forms. Writing is another form of this beauty thus you can translate what I am trying to say much better than I. Most men of this caliber seldom manage to connect all this together like you do.

If we are really lucky in life we find our Mr. Ebersoll. Lucky in the sense we are able to see beyond our eyes and hear beyond our ears and see how remarkable such a man is..how scarce they are in life and allow their presence to infuse our minds with the hidden. People like this are a gift to us and seldom do we.. or can we thank them. So we speak their names in memory and they live on through our hands and heart.

Now Joe..I know where you got the impression this engine ran a fan. I wrote somewhere when describing this engine that I have only seen one other. This was at the Turlock engine swapmeet and Joe Beatty had it in the back of his Volks Wagon Bus. Same size but no reverse or governor like mine. His also had the "little bear" cast into the steam chest cover. I wanted that engine dearly! No such luck but Mr. Beatty told me it was used in a warehouse and ran one of those large ventilation fans. From the way he described it...the engine was up in the framing of the warehouse and was started with a long pole or stick. After I heard this story I couldn't pass a warehouse without thinking about this little engine. Forty plus years later I found one and Joe Beatty is long gone. I never did find out what happened to his engine.

But this engine of mine...from what I understand came from the San Joaquin Delta area being used in a small launch. Coming through several hands its real story is pretty slim but one can gain much by a study of the engine and boiler..plus the Redwood plinth it was mounted on. When things slow down a bit this winter Joe..I'll send you the dimensions of the Porcupine shell and the inner Porcupine. I have the original fittings for this boiler and outwardly it is in very good condition, albeit rusty. Yes :) We will give it new life. Here are a few pics of the original plant as received...hopefully they will attach :)

Attachments

• 100_4484.jpg
    100_4484.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 1Bear_steam_01.jpg
    1Bear_steam_01.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 1Bear_steam_02 (1).jpg
    1Bear_steam_02 (1).jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 100_4487.jpg
    100_4487.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 100_4490.jpg
    100_4490.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 83
I think a lot of kit engines were made and the owner decided not to do the hard part and make the governor.

My own PM Research Strelinger included. I bought a materials kit but never took anything out of the bag. Now someone in China is selling some really nice looking governors for about $100, one model, the other one selling looks blocky. But I couldn't do that to my engine after all the careful work.

Back