What's new
What's new

Small early ornate drill press 1800s

Hit Miss Engine

Cast Iron
I am searching for a small maybe table top drill press to fit my small lineshaft machine shop with machines that date prior to the turn of the century... I don't know of any particular maker drill press to reference and Im not even sure if what I'm looking for exist but something ornate and early...small fluted column perhaps?? Now that's wishful thinking. Any help would be great. Thanks George 717-495-7238

Hello George, there are a number of early makers who made bench drills. Here are some examples from Gage, Warner & Whitney, John Parshley, and Ames Mfg. Co.. I have a picture from 1900 showing the exact Gage, Warner & Whitney drill in the woodcut, but I'm sure it's long gone by now. The only surviving example I know of is a modified Parshley in Hershey, PA. Jake

John Parshley ad from 1855
Parshley_1855.jpg

Drill in Hershey PA
drill_AACA_Museum_HerseyPA.jpg

Gage, Warner & Whitney ad from 1857
GageWarnerWhitney_1857.jpg

Ames Mfg. Co. from 1860s???

Hey Jake,
I remember us talking about these pictures at one time... These are just what would fit the bill... Maybe someone may have something sitting in their collection that might work. A little Ames Mfg Co. drill press would look nice next to the little Ames lathe!

I have a small old drill press painted red,and have the pulley outfit that bolts down behind it. It is typical 19th. C. style,mechanically like the ones in the picture. It does not have a fluted column,or ornate casting. You could pinstripe it. I'd buy some narrow pinstriping plastic tape if I wanted an easy and quick way to pinstripe it. My drill press has the "smile of shame" drilled across the table,which is about 8" square(I'd have to go measure it). I'd recommend attaching a 1/4" thick steel plate over the cast iron table to hide the unwanted drilling.

If you want it,PM me. Pickup only. I'll only ask what I have in it. I just have no where to mount it.

Post 1876 "sensitive drill" design but made by MANY makers for a generation afterwards.

Antique drill press

00c0c_apydsF0cYbe_600x450.jpg

And the price on this one is embarrassingly "right."

I would go after it myself - but what am I going to do with a THIRD drill press in this pattern?

Joe in NH

Just giving this thread a bump. I am still searching for a drill press, nothing has panned out as of yet.. any help would be great. Thanks George

I am searching for a small maybe table top drill press to fit my small lineshaft machine shop with machines that date prior to the turn of the century... I don't know of any particular maker drill press to reference and Im not even sure if what I'm looking for exist but something ornate and early...small fluted column perhaps?? Now that's wishful thinking. Any help would be great. Thanks George 717-495-7238
This one is owned by a friend of mine. Located in Mineral Washington State. I think he wants around $200.00 for it.
3eaebd0379b3318297ebcb8e51b0dcd1.jpg
3fa71ea9e45ee10ee6bee107003400e8.jpg
3a347d580e78d85bb616ee4a9f5ed038.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Just giving this thread a bump. I am still searching for a drill press, nothing has panned out as of yet.. any help would be great. Thanks George

I had (the remains of) a once-lineshaft driven "Burke" benchtop as a kid that Dad had dragged-home from a salvage yard. Got when-needed access to Adolf Muehlmatt & Hamiltons at about the same time, so never did restore it (needed new bearings made...) nor "motorize" it.

Those show-up on Ebay, yet today under a "Burke drillpress" search - just over-priced!

Even so, they were the opposite of "ornate". Very clean, simple, lines for the era.

Early ornate drill presses seem to be extremely rare. Even an internet search I did a while back on came back with only a few. I think it would be a cool project to design and build a early replica like oranate press.

cncFireman wrote:

" I think it would be a cool project to design and build a early replica like oranate press. "

Well, it may not be very ornate, but Rivett608 built a replica of a circa 1900 drill press for the Wright Brothers Bicycle Shop National Historic Site:

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...yton-ohio-82694/?highlight=wright+drill+press

John Ruth

WOW... I had no idea. Obviously it is Rivett608 we're talking about so not a surprise... but still, incredible project!!

Early ornate drill presses seem to be extremely rare. Even an internet search I did a while back on came back with only a few. I think it would be a cool project to design and build a early replica like oranate press.

I actually had that very same idea of building one... I have a nice small cast iron fluted column from an old weight scale that would work as a great start for the body of the drill press...I would build a few patterns from wood and cast them to complete the design.. just one more project to add to the list I guess...and even though it would be cool to do I would still want to have an original to place in my display. I was thinking the other day that we see very early lathes and planers etc. etc. popping up from time to time but where are the drill presses that drilled all the holes??

Back