What's new
What's new

Smart and Brown 1024 VSL shear pins

George Liquor

Plastic
Hi, i recently acquired the above lathe and on inspection i found the shear pin had sheared, i was surprised at its size only 1.6mm dia silver steel, is that stainless? would any of you knowledgeable folks know where i could get a replacement.
Regards, George.

I don't know specifically about the pin... but "silver steel" is a pretty common grade in Europe, fairly high carbon plain steel, similar to W1 water hardening tool steel found in the US, to my knowledge.

Hi, i recently acquired the above lathe and on inspection i found the shear pin had sheared, i was surprised at its size only 1.6mm dia silver steel, is that stainless? would any of you knowledgeable folks know where i could get a replacement.
Regards, George.

Go and find a metric to US (formerly "Imperial") conversion chart, and it may get easier.
You may have to turn one to size nowadays to avoid the embarrassment of ordering from the US?

:)

Carbon steel or alloy should be fine. There are probably inexpensive new, or damaged old, drills about that could donate a shank so you had it same-day, and perhaps for less money than a bundle, kit, or single-length of drill-rod // silver-steel once postage, etc, is added

Added them to my bookmarked resources, thanks.

Noted they have a 6-quid minimum, though, so couldn't get far enough into the "checkout" process to see if shipping was free or extra.

So he's got a few spares :D

But seriously - 1/16'' dia silver steel is very easy to come by in the uk.

So he's got a few spares :D

But seriously - 1/16'' dia silver steel is very easy to come by in the uk.

Metric sizes aren't hard to find, stateside, either...

First thing I ever needed from Cromwells (didn't know about Chronos..) was actually tins of Stuart's Micrometer. Shipping from the UK was fast and easy enough that I've ordered other goods since.

There's one thing as might actually get better (again..) if/as/when Brexit concludes - trade with "the Americas". All of them.

hold on guys! no need to get into that, no international tirade needed. the back end of a #52 aircraft length drill should work, (the shank of a 1/16 would probably be a little small)

hold on guys! no need to get into that, no international tirade needed. the back end of a #52 aircraft length drill should work, (the shank of a 1/16 would probably be a little small)

Truth told, I prefer to make mine from the body of common cold-headed steel-wire nails. Head removed, body turned to fit, all made to look Bristol.

Unless you have a current redneck license? Then one goes undersize, leaves the head on, and bends the excess over with a hatchet, not ball-pein hammer.

A shear pin is meant to shear.. but only if you try to abuse the dog.

IF they shear, the softer wire used for nails does that with less damage to the other, costlier, bits. It is also easier to remove the remains.

Page Two:

Don't abuse the dog....

Back