Smart&Brown Model L capstan lathe - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have to admit, the more I looked at it the more I like the idea of a drop weight type feeder over air. Have starting making a little prototype to get mi ducks lined up. If theres a secondhand one out there I cant find it. Ive enough room to run 1.5m bars.
    Am thinking to use sleeves in the end of the feeder tube and spindle, that should be enough to keep bars aligned till the new bar gets in the spindle. Working with a smaller bar would need smaller sleeves and perhaps a liner in the collet push tube. I want to attach the assembly to the lathe somehow. Im thinking to make a new bracket that connects the closer assembly to double as a front mount for the tube.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

3. Likes Demon73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cheers Sami
    Ward and Herbert, the kings of capstan

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Demon73 View Post
    Cheers Sami
    Ward and Herbert, the kings of capstan
    Have a word with Frank,he may well have the stands from a turret or a slider.That would be the easy way to go.

6. Likes Demon73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    Have a word with Frank,he may well have the stands from a turret or a slider.That would be the easy way to go.
    Just got off the phone from him, he wasnt hopeful on a simple barfeed, but has a pile of tooling etc. Sounds like a good knowledgeable chap, cheers for the pointer

Am making pulleys etc atm, shouldnt take long.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One place I worked at had a shop full of the old " Dowding & Doll " Accuratools. They were a small plug board type capstan lathe with pneumatic bar feeds. Early NC I suppose. To load the bars the front stand nearest the lathe had a sort of stags horn arrangement were you raised the front of bar feed tube a couple of feet up and slightly out towards you to load it. The operator had raised the bar feed tube and put in a 10ft length of 1/2" round bar when he was called away to a minor crash on another nearby lathe.

Whilst he was away the Works Director wandered by and saw the lathe was stopped. He was always messing with these lathes and he pressed the " Start " button without noticing were the bar feed was. First operation the collet chuck opened, second operation the bar feed operated - flinging the length of bar just past his head and down the shop like a javelin ! Luckily nobody was hurt.

This guy never learnt because not long after that incident he had his thumb nail torn off when he was messing with the revolving end stop and the bar feed operated again, trapping his thumb between the end of the bar and the end stop. The bar was running at about 500 revs at the time.

Good luck with your bar feed matey.

Regards Tyrone.

9. Likes Demon73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Good luck with your bar feed matey.

Regards Tyrone.
    Cheers mate.

Keep saying you should write a book

---------------------------------------

Ive the pulleys made, small one for the up, big one for the over. Bushings are the old ones out of the capstan.

Living life on the edge. Took my time scraping that groove out lol. In a couple, over .010", back a couple over .010", fart, repeat

Ive been thinking how to attach the tube to the machine, theres not much on the head so begrudgingly ill probably make some sort of mount on the bed, the casting is near 1/2" thick there. Most likely a steel plate with machined face out bolted and glued on square to the spindle. To that ill fab a bolt on Herbert style arm to mount the front of the bar to.

Edit:- Had a result on the tube btw. Went round the corner to Wolsey plumbers merchant to buy a length of gas pipe, took a sample of what I already had. One of the guys said "We have one outside!" pointing to the floor "Is that any good to you?". It certainly was, 4m odd of exactly what I needed. I bought them lunch and bar feeder gods do exist.

Cheers
    D

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Progress.

Fixed the mounting plate with Devcon and aligned it using 3 jack screws, the center bolt is fixing the plate while the epoxy goes off. After drilling out the 4 corner holes I tapped 3/8 BSW in the lathe bed, ie this glued on plate will be sandwiched between the tube support arm and the lathe bed.

The arm in place, have the top plate to finish.

A quick test drive before I make it proper

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tres bon guvna