What's new
What's new

Smith Booth Usher - help identify, more info, suggestions

rot4sechs

Plastic
Hi everyone
I'm looking at a lathe I found on craigslist. I haven't seen it in person and sounds like the gentleman selling is the son/grandson of the recently passed owner. So unfortunately he couldn't tell me much of anything about it. There are only 3 pictures in the listing too.
Can anyone possibly give me a little more info on exactly what it is? And possibly what is missing, what to look for?
It obviously has a lot of stuff/junk on and around it so if I decide to buy it I want to make sure and get everything for, if it's even still there.
Thanks for any help
Ben

lyFbU51l.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/lyFbU51.jpg

20SFDHzl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/20SFDHz.jpg

JDPPNa4l.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/JDPPNa4.jpg

Attachments

• lyFbU51s.jpg
    lyFbU51s.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 252
  • 20SFDHzs.jpg
    20SFDHzs.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 253
The triangular plate was attached by the dealer that sold the machine. The lathe maker's name may be somewhere else.

There should be more gears with teeth the same size as the ones on the lathe.

You need someone familiar with lathes to look over the stuff in the shop and pick out the items that would be of use on the lathe. Maybe you should buy the cabinets too. There might be all sorts of useful stuff in them. Rent a truck and help the owner clean out that mess.

Larry

The triangular plate was attached by the dealer that sold the machine. The lathe maker's name may be somewhere else.

There should be more gears with teeth the same size as the ones on the lathe.

You need someone familiar with lathes to look over the stuff in the shop and pick out the items that would be of use on the lathe. Maybe you should buy the cabinets too. There might be all sorts of useful stuff in them. Rent a truck and help the owner clean out that mess.

Larry

Well no wonder I couldn't find anything specific to that "brand" of lathe lol. That's actually very helpful, thank you!

There's a toolpost grinder on the lathe bed. Those are worth a pretty penny if in usable condition.

Ok cool, good to know.

The tail piece and carriage look similar to some L Robbins that I've seen but I can't seem to find anything close enough to be definitive. Anybody have a clue who made this thing?

Look for a steady rest and follow rest. They are unique to this lathe and fit no other.
The halfnut engage lever is missing from the apron. Lower right hand.....hole.
The halfnuts could have been removed as well.
Aprons, 10, 11, and Early 11 inch Myers.jpgAprons, 11 Early 11, and 10 inch.jpgCatalog page three.jpgMyers Logo.jpg
The steady rest is fairly heavy for it's size. The follow rest is sorta flat with two holes at the bottom. Not fancy but it does work.
The Myers logo is usually mounted on the right leg.
The spindle nose threads do not match any other lathe so look for the faceplate and any chuck with this 1-1/2" - 7 thread.
It is an oddball size!
Looks like an 11" (Swing) lathe and made ~1915 - 1920.
Most of the product made by Myers went directly to England for the War effort.
John

The Tool post grinder mentioned by awander looks like a Dumore .
They come in various sizes and when new came in a metal case with a number of accessories.
I’m not sure what model that one is.
Here is a link from a Google image search I tried for" DumoreTool Post Grinder” that looks about the same size and that covers quite a bit with a short video at the bottom of the page.
In any case most sizes came with similar accessories .
Most had some extra pulleys of various sizes that could be installed in various combinations to give a variety of speeds for large and small grinding wheels.
Sold: Dumore Model 44 Tool Post Grinder 1/4HP - Niels Machines.
You can try your own search once you get a better look at it .
There look to be some other shop made grinding or milling spindle setups with the lathe also .
I got wondering if the greenish part sitting on the wooden block in the chip pan near the lathe carriage might be a part of the half nut set up ?
It doesn’t look exactly like any of the ones in John’s pictures but maybe that would change if it was turned over.
Regards,
Jim

The headstock has a three step cone pulley so the spindle size - threads might be 1 1/4" - 7 with a #2 morse taper.

Jim, the green thing on the wood block doesn't quite look right to be halfnut parts. Might just be some ol' thang.

I can take a photo of an apron with the complete halfnuts. Just don't have one on the hard drive right now.
John

John ,
You are probably right but often some of those odd old things that are un recognized get tossed aside rather quickly only to find out later on that they actually were a missing part of the machine .
I see a couple of castings in the top of the pan on lower shelf under the lathe that remind me of arbor supports for a small horizontal milling machine like a U.S. Burke but a little big to fit on the unmentionable machines from Kalamazoo.
While they might also be just some other odd thing too it might be worth looking around to see if there is anything that they might fit on.
Jim

You guys have been incredibly helpful. I really appreciate it!
I'm trying to setup a time to actually go look at it, we'll see how it goes.
Thanks again.

Here are a couple of crossfeed push - pull selectors and cross slide screws. The gear is made as part of the shaft. 12 teeth and 14 pitch.
Crossfeed Selector.jpg
Crossfeed is engaged by pushing the selector in. I have an example of gear damage to the 14 pitch apron gear. Mr. Hammerhands likely forced the issue or the operator must stop the spindle before engaging as there is no 'clutch'.
Apron front view.jpgApron guts.jpg
Here are the steady and follow rests.
Steady Rest  Myers 11inch.jpgFollow Rest  Myers 11 inch.jpg
John

If you are in the Portland area and would like someone else to check things out with you, I may be able to help.

Tom B.

I really appreciate the offer, unfortunately it sold before I could look at it. I'm about 3 hours south of you, in the Roseburg area.

Here are a couple of crossfeed push - pull selectors and cross slide screws. The gear is made as part of the shaft. 12 teeth and 14 pitch.
View attachment 269248
Crossfeed is engaged by pushing the selector in. I have an example of gear damage to the 14 pitch apron gear. Mr. Hammerhands likely forced the issue or the operator must stop the spindle before engaging as there is no 'clutch'.
View attachment 269249View attachment 269250
Here are the steady and follow rests.
View attachment 269251View attachment 269252
John

Really good info, if I somehow come across another one I'll definitely have a better idea of what to look for. Thanks again

Smith Booth Usher

SBU was a dealer - at 2001 Santa Fe Avenue in L.A., CA

Modern address would be South Santa Fe at or near 15th street in South L.A.

Sold everything LeBlond made - including 100,000 Lb Gun Boring machinery

Last edited:

Back