What's new
What's new

Machine tool weights needed

Joe Michaels

Diamond
We are going to be moving two more old machine tools, so I hope some members could give an estimate of the weights:

16" x 78" Monarch geared head engine lathe, 1943 machine, with taper attachment

Brown and Sharpe Number 2 vertical milling machine, has number 50 spindle taper, believe this to be a late 1930's machine tool.

These are being moved from the infamous boxcar machine shop in Kingston to another buddy's shop, a local move. We have two options as to hauling, and the weights will determine whether a two-axle equipment trailer (just a regular 2" ball hitch, not fifth wheel) behind an F-350 pickup, or a lowboy trailer and Brockway tractor are needed. The haulage vehicles are old, but not nearly as old as the machine tools: the F-350 is early 1970's, and the Brockway tractor is early 1960's. We have the old Austin-Western hydraulic crane (late 1950's) to rig the machine tools out of the boxcar and onto the trailer. Rollers, pinch bars and jacks at the other end. Old machine tools, old haulage vehicles, old methods to move them into place, and a couple of us old farts to do it.

My '42 16x54 monarch weighs just about 6000lbs. Center of gravity on it was just in front of the chuck with carriage and tailstock at far end. I uses a strap through the bed opening around a wood 4x4 to get it as close to headstock as possible. Yours is longer so should be easier to balance it. I want to think it adds 250lbs per length increase but can not say for sure on that number.

30 centers was less than 4800 but my CW16 X 102 is likely 6500

The B&S will be only a little less

Here are the brochure scans from when the 16 was old enough to not have the "C" in front yet - it was just the "W"

Attachments

• scan 01.jpg
    scan 01.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Scan 02.jpg
    Scan 02.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 59
  • scan 03.jpg
    scan 03.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 62
From the 1939 B&S Catalog,
#2 Vertical 6400 lbs if it has the motor on the back
#2 Vertical(Light type)2900 lbs. This one has the motor mounted on the back but doesn't have the silent chain drive. I had one that came out of the Springfield Armory.

oops... I missed the reference to 50 taper. It has to be the heavy one. The light type had a 40 taper spindle.

From my limited experience, the 1-ton will move either machine alone safely enough, as long as trailer deck and tires are up to it. Both at once on the trailer could be done if there are no hills. Load up forward to have plenty of tongue weight.for traction and control. Wish I could be there to lend a hand, but I am sure you have got it.

Back