What's new
What's new

some Hendey, other earlier equipment at auction (in Maine?)

kd1yt

Cast Iron
Hope this is OK to post in this way in this venue; I have no connection to the items or sale (other than that I would like to bring several of them home but for various reasons am almost certainly unable to actually do so).

I spotted these via an ad on VT Craigslist, although if I am understanding correctly they seem to be in Maine. I seem to see a Hendey Shaper, a Hendey Univ. Horiz. milling machine, a Hendey Lathe, a Putnam lathe, and an interesting early/small Garvin milling machine, along with other machines, and they all look relatively clean and unabused; my posting this is just in hopes of connecting some appreciative owners with some interesting machines, to keep them out of smelters:

MACHINE SHOP, TOOLING & SUPPORT EQUIPMENT - WELDING - HOUSEHOLD ITEMS - business/commercial - by owner - sale
Keenan Auction Company, Inc Au... Auctions Online | Proxibid

The 12" Hendey lathe is practically screaming out to me how much it wants to come home to my workshop, but, alas, along with currently-thin time/space/budget (some of which could be shoehorned) I am booked for work on something I can't shift or back out of on the one day of must-pick-up

The 12" Hendey lathe is practically screaming out to me how much it wants to come home to my workshop, but, alas, along with currently-thin time/space/budget (some of which could be shoehorned) I am booked for work on something I can't shift or back out of on the one day of must-pick-up

Showing silent chain drive, so its the EMC Hendey - a bit odd with a speed change gear box in the leg

Some scans I did on its stable mate the EBM

Attachments

• Scan 05.jpg
    Scan 05.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 118
  • Scan 01_1.jpg
    Scan 01_1.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 108
John- thanks for the info on the Hendy EMC. Currently realizing that I am so far behind on so many other things that adding this to my list of things to juggle would be one of the less sensible things I could do- especially realizing that the capabilities of the 12x5 EMC don't differ greatly from my 14" LeBlond, and that my Leblond is pretty well equipped at this point, whereas with the EMC I would be once again be chasing down lotsa stuff. Someone has bid something on the 12x5 so at least it seems likely to go home with someone.

I do hope that someone picks up that 20" Hendey shaper so that it does not meet an inglorious end- but I definitely do not have room for that at this point.

Thanks again.

Pickup dates are often negotiable. Given the size of the auction, space and the weight of some of the machines, the auctioneer and owners would be crazy not to allow pickup on other dates.

I'd love to bid on the 20" shaper, but it would cost at least $3000 to have a rigger pick it up/ship it cheapest carrier to my basement. Is using a 20" Hendey worth it?

Something about the Hendey 20" shaper pict. and the 3hp motor make me think it is actually a 16" plain model.

Showing silent chain drive, so its the EMC Hendey - a bit odd with a speed change gear box in the leg

Some scans I did on its stable mate the EBM

John, Pic #14 of 24 on the CL add, I think shows an ACME turret lathe?? .never knowingly having heard of them please can you shed some light on that make.

Thanks - Sami.

John, Pic #14 of 24 on the CL add, I think shows an ACME turret lathe?? .never knowingly having heard of them please can you shed some light on that make.

Thanks - Sami.

Don't know about the early jobs but by August '47 Lodge & Shipley owned them and was offering several sizes - two ram type and a range of saddle type that weighed up to 12,000 Lbs

The 1S-25 in the photo was one of the saddle types and weighed 8700.

Don't know about the early jobs but by August '47 Lodge & Shipley owned them and was offering several sizes - two ram type and a range of saddle type that weighed up to 12,000 Lbs

The 1S-25 in the photo was one of the saddle types and weighed 8700.

Thank you John, Lodge and Shipley eh? - they should have been quality.

Looks like an auction with something for everybody. Glad it is not in my backyard. Most auctions I go to have a fork lift on site to assist in loading. The short window of PU and no way to assist in loading mentioned would be a deterrent to many buyers. If you had to hire a rigger for all loading it would negate the deal for many. Maybe the auction rules will be more flexible than stated? Sure glad I don't live nearby it would be a hard one to pass up depending on end prices. Very nice shop. Regards, John.

There's the auctioneer's official policy and then there's ...other. The owner wants stuff gone, that's why they're having the auction. Either someone will show up with a forklift and get everybody loaded, or not, and there'll have to be negotiation and individual loading.

Every auction I've ever been to had some negotiation around loading going on. They're all different. If interested in a machine, start calling the principals. Work your way down to the folks who'll be there and find out what the real story is. LIving close is certainly a plus.

The uncertainty about loading will drive prices down. Your opportunity.....

Back