What's new
What's new

Source for individual pairs of Brown & Sharpe parallels?

Kyle Smith

Stainless
I have a Brown & Sharpe Ultra Precision parallel set that came in group of used tools. Over time I have lost/ruined a couple pairs but I cannot find a source for just the pairs. The sets are currently available. Worst case I can buy pairs from another manufacturer, but my OCD would prefer that they are all B&S.

Are you talking about thin parallels, like about 1/8" thick (maybe 1/4"). Or parallels you might use directly on
a machine's T-slotted table, with cross-sectional dimensions more like 1/2"x3/4" or 1"x1.5"? You can definitely buy singles or matched pairs of the latter.

Does B&S still own this part of their old business? If you can track down the current owner of the "just dumb steel metrology and setup" business, give them a call. They're really the only ones who can tell you what their current offerings are.

I have a Brown & Sharpe Ultra Precision parallel set that came in group of used tools. Over time I have lost/ruined a couple pairs but I cannot find a source for just the pairs. The sets are currently available. Worst case I can buy pairs from another manufacturer, but my OCD would prefer that they are all B&S.

WOW! OCD about brand name parallels... LoL

OK, B&S roughly $300 for a set (don't know about buying individuals)

cheapy china brand set (which will function exactly the same) $40

you pick

Yes, the 1/8" thick set shown in the link newtonsapple posted:

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/06220917

Well don't be surprised to learn that any of those B&S parallels made in the past 10-20 years are no better than many non branded ones coming out of Taiwan (China mainland is more of a crapshoot). All of the B&S ground products I have had my hands on have left me underwhelmed.

1/8" set here lists US COO: TESA Brown & Sharpe 1/8" Thickness, 6" Length, 10 pairs No. of Pieces Precision Parallels | 57-101-415 | Travers Tool Co., Inc.

They are shifty with the COO. I bet B&S/Hexagon have as much of this work as possible done in asia. The only terrible thing about that would be the price they are asking.

The Starrett ground in the US products are pretty nice from what I have seen. Particularly the 706 123 blocks are a bit special. They don't do thin parallels though.

I found a set 1 1/2 x 3/4 x 12" on the base of my radial drill, they are stained and pitted, but will stay with the drill, and still be useful.
Anyway, the good old ones do show up on ebay, some in excellent condition, the larger ones for bigger machines is what I need.

I thought that, BOTOH - whatever floats your boat.

Exits stage left muttering, ..........'' and they call me a f'kn weirdo?'' :D

Since when? I thot they were only sayin' yer Union usta dress you rather oddly?

I have - and am happy with - LUFKIN parallels. Neither Starret nor B&S.
ISTR the cat's pajama's were considered to be Taft-Pierce?

Yah. They are old. The NEW ones are Taiwanese. No magic. But good enough.

Hem's sake.. they are working goods, not vintage Alvis motorcars nor heirloom paintings in oils.

Yah want 'em in Invar, Chromium Carbide, Stellite, or Nitrolloy and lapped as if gage blocks?

There's a "project" for somebody..

Since when? I thot they were only sayin' yer Union usta dress you rather oddly?

I have - and am happy with - LUFKIN parallels. Neither Starret nor B&S.
ISTR the cat's pajama's were considered to be Taft-Pierce?

Yah. They are old. The NEW ones are Taiwanese. No magic. But good enough.

Hem's sake.. they are working goods, not vintage Alvis motorcars nor heirloom paintings in oils.

Yah want 'em in Invar, Chromium Carbide, Stellite, or Nitrolloy and lapped as if gage blocks?

There's a "project" for somebody..

Holy crap! Me and Thermite agree on something (I think) LoL. :D

Parallels are a means to an end, IMO, doesn't matter if they are xxx brand or not, or even if the 1" ones are .997", as long as the two are matched to within a few tenths...? :scratchchin:

Parallels are a means to an end, IMO, doesn't matter if they are xxx brand or not, or even if the 1" ones are .997", as long as the two are matched to within a few tenths...? :scratchchin:

EXACTLY like wise I've no compunction about having to machine a bit of a parallel away to do an otherwise very awkward job.

And while were talking parallels, don't forget the good old circular pattern - aka inner and outer ball race rings.

Tight old git.

There yah go. makin' ass u me umptions.

He didn't say he never HAD new parallels.

Only that he didn't have to PAY for new ones!

The "company" had always furnished any I needed up until my current "ROF" situation, so I had never paid for any at all until about nine years ago.

I just used CRS bar, die steel drops, keyway stock, or even ground cutting tool blanks for "homework" projects!

Didn't OWN a mill. Walker-Turner DP ain't able to make much USE of anything fancy.

:D

Being a little OCD myself, I could understand wanting to fill a hole with OEM replacements, but I have limits. eBay's been my friend in endeavors like this. If the set is sentimental, you could always buy a partial set with the ones you need then resell the left-overs. If you just want a complete quality name brand tool, I'd buy new one and either sell the partial or complete it with cheap or home made parallels for a beater set.

There yah go. makin' ass u me umptions.

He didn't say he never HAD new parallels.

Only that he didn't have to PAY for new ones!

The "company" had always furnished any I needed up until my current "ROF" situation, so I had never paid for any at all until about nine years ago.

I just used CRS bar, die steel drops, keyway stock, or even ground cutting tool blanks for "homework" projects!

Didn't OWN a mill. Walker-Turner DP ain't able to make much USE of anything fancy.

:D

No, he's completely correct, I am a tight old git - and proud of it.

Back