What's new
What's new

South Bend 9a Gear train cover

tabletop

Plastic
​I acquired an old South Bend 9a Lathe from the closed Boeing factory in Toronto and I'm rebuilding it to original condition. Its history traces through Avro, DeHavilland, Douglas, McDonald-Douglas and Boeing. Its been a lot of fun restoring it but I need a bit of information on a small problem. The pivot pin on the gear cover is worn and needs replacing. It looks like a taper pin holding the pivot in place but cant locate the narrow end of the taper. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Very strange font to post in .. however. I had a SB9 and the gear cover didn't hang straight. I learned that the pin is essentially cast in babbitt, not held by a taper pin at all. I fixed mine by heating it until the babbit just softened and then I clamped it on place on the lathe and let it cool. After that it was perfect.

metalmagpie

tabletop

​I acquired an old South Bend 9a Lathe from the closed Boeing factory in Toronto and I'm rebuilding it to original condition. Its history traces through Avro, DE Havilland, Douglas, McDonald-Douglas and Boeing. Its been a lot of fun restoring it but I need a bit of information on a small problem. The pivot pin on the gear cover is worn and needs replacing. It looks like a taper pin holding the pivot in place but cant locate the narrow end of the taper. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Thank you metalmagpie. I will check that and try it this weekend

Back