What's new
What's new

South Bend 9A Quick Change Gearbox Binding

chipmaker38

Plastic
I am obviously new to the forum, so I hope I'm asking this question in the right spot. I have a SB9A I have completely rebuilt. I took the QC gear box apart to clean, replace the wicks and paint. While putting it back together, I somehow developed a bind in the gear tree. Are there any tricks to these things? I do have the rebuild book, but couldn't find anything in it that addressed the issue. When the FWD/REV gear is in neutral and running, you could hear a pin drop. In gear, she hums pretty loud. My next step is to remove it again, stone the sides of the gears, and clean the slots for the key ways. I cannot fit the taper pin it without it completely locking up. Any thoughts? Thanks, all!!

I would see about having this post moved over to the South Bend forum. Those folks know what is going on with them and you will probably get a quick answer

I assume you mean "gear train," not "gear tree," which on first reading I thought you were referring to the so-called cone gear.

If the quick change gear box is the problem, put the left-hand tumbler all the way down so its pin is resting on the notched plate and see if the gears are still binding with the reversing lever in forward.

If not, engage the left-hand tumbler and move the right-hand tumbler all the way down so its pin is resting on the notched plate and see if the gears are still binding.

I am obviously new to the forum, so I hope I'm asking this question in the right spot. I have a SB9A I have completely rebuilt. I took the QC gear box apart to clean, replace the wicks and paint. While putting it back together, I somehow developed a bind in the gear tree. Are there any tricks to these things? I do have the rebuild book, but couldn't find anything in it that addressed the issue. When the FWD/REV gear is in neutral and running, you could hear a pin drop. In gear, she hums pretty loud. My next step is to remove it again, stone the sides of the gears, and clean the slots for the key ways. I cannot fit the taper pin it without it completely locking up. Any thoughts? Thanks, all!!

You have miss-assembled something. Cut nothing, sand nothing, stone nothing. It used to fit and work before. You are the problem, not the machine.

Back