What's new
What's new

South Bend Shaper drive unit--clapper????

tommy1010

Stainless
To all the South Bend Shaper experts--Is this stuff off a South Bend Shaper? Take a look at the pics and give me a yea or nay. I have no experience with SB or Atxxx shapers so I am depending on you for an answer. The clapper box setup works as smooth as day one. Has been sitting for years. No motor to go with it or other pulleys just what you see. The one guard swivels out of the way for belt changes. Some of the numbers cast in the pieces are 895 or 800 something?? Don't want to invest any time or effort cleaning until I find out what it is from. Thanks.

100_1207.jpg100_1208.jpg100_1209.jpg100_1210.jpg100_1211.jpg

Dennis Turk suggested once to me that the SB shaper was a direct decendant of the Ammco shaper. He didn't expand as to where he got that or if it was just speculation. The Ammco has helical gears and the SB has spur gears.
If they are related I'd love to know it. The SB has superior aspects like the automatic oiling system but they lost those helical gears if related.
I kinda don't buy it though because the Ammco was still being sold in direct competition to the Atlas, SB and Logan for a stretch of time, unless under a weird licensing agreement.

Normally, unless I'm wrong, two products using the same design would not be able to legally be sold simultaneously unless the patents and licensing were out of date, though that may have been how it happened.

I never took measurements of the two (Speaking of the earlier rectangular base SB machine) to see if they are the same, but they sure do seem very similar.

Back