What's new
What's new

Spindle Bearing Removal: Vintage Elgin Lathe

SmokeWalker

Plastic
Hey Everyone,

I was trying to replace the spindle bearings on my 1941 Elgin split bed lathe, and though I got the spindle out of the headstock casting leaving the rear two open ball bearings (New Departure 20201: 90mm OD, 70 mm ID 20mm wide) behind, the front bearing is harder to remove; it looks sandwiched between what looks like a screwed on ring that has a set screw that I removed, but cannot budge, and the tapered spindle nose.

Any ideas how to get this spindle apart?

I need to get it apart so I can:

1. Do measurements to find the correct bearings.
2. Install them.

SW.

I never took an Elgin headstock apart, so I cannot answer your question. But you need to at least state whether you are asking about an open flat belt headstock or an enclosed V-belt headstock. It may be that the construction is different.

I think I have an enclosed Elgin 5C headstock that may be in decent shape and would be happy to sell it, along with the lever collet closer.

Another member here has an Elgin lathe and has had it apart, so may be able to help.

Larry

Hey Larry,

After a bunch of trouble trying to get the old bearings off, I just squirted some grease into the bearings, and that quieted things down substantially (but now it gets warmer).

It's the lever collet closer bearing that's loud now.

It is the enclosed 7/16 (double) v belt pulley type.

What's the condition of your collet closer you've got?

SW

Done, I got them off. Propane torch to the outer race of the bearings near the spindle nose, and some loving taps with a dead blow hammer. Bearings came right off.

55x90x18 Spherical Roller Bearings, two, one with a 95mm flange in the front.
Replaced with SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper ball bearings, but which are much quieter.
Running in now. When I ramp up to max RPM, I hit the end of the speed dial and think, "Is this top speed???" You can barely hear them. Huge improvement. I hear a slight rattle at 50% speed (about 1400? No tachometer.) and they're getting hot to the touch after 20 minutes of running.

Back