What's new
What's new

Spindle gear for Stark #4 Lathe

JackHB

Aluminum
Trying to find the specs for the spindle gear on a Stark #4 lathe, Serial# 2295. Mine is missing, but I do have some 22DP gears with it. (no chasing attachment though !!) The shaft diameter is 1.361".

Any help appreciated !

IMG_20210607_182536.jpgIMG_20210607_182345.jpg

Here is the Stark headstock w/ the ER32 mount in place and the tool post in place on the Rivett compound.

StarkTC013-1.jpg

You can see the spindle gear on a Stark in the right of this photo.

IMG_20210608_124709~2.jpg

I've started to rough out a more conventional tool block for the Rivett compound. We'll see how the fitting goes !

Trying to find the specs for the spindle gear on a Stark #4 lathe, Serial# 2295. Mine is missing, but I do have some 22DP gears with it. (no chasing attachment though !!) The shaft diameter is 1.361".

Any help appreciated !

Hi Jack,

I'm pretty sure I can help you with the details of the Stark Thread chasing attachment and gearing. The picture you posted is my Stark #4. Its an original thread chasing attachment, but I made all the gears an followers. The gears were made on a hobbing attachment on a Burke #4 mill.

The bad news is that I just had major back surgery less than 2 weeks ago and won't be able to access my shop or info. om the stark chasing attachment. It will be a few weeks till I'm up and around and able to get the info and send it to you. Hopefully someone will chime in in the meantime. I'm pretty sure I have the original catalogue info for the chasing attachment and gearing.

Joe

Thanks Joe,

I am mostly interested in knowing the gear pitch of the spindle gear. I suspect it might not match the gears I have. Did you make your own spindle gear ?

Take care, back surgery is nothing to fool with !

Jack

Jack,

I made all the gears. It's been so long since I made them I can't positively remember the DP. I think they were 20 or 24 DP. The gear on the spindle is 40 tooth. As soon as I can get to my shop I'll measure the DP.

Joe

Hi Joe, how's the recuperation going?

I've been concentrating getting power to the spindle. The junk collection has provided a couple of Compumotor drives and (oversized) motors. The first set blew up on me. I think it was a combination of too much current and worn bearings in the motor. The second set seems to be OK but I'm being leary. The motor mount was a pain, now just waiting for a cog belt to power it. I can't fault the spindle...perfect !...no play and spins with a touch! They really knew how to make them! I'll get up a picture tonight.

Jack

Hi Jack,

Recuperation going well, currently able to walk without cane or walker. Post op visit with surgeon today.

What are using for a motor. I rigged up a flat belt drive with a 3/4 hp PM DC motor. 1/2 hp would also probably work. Used a variac and full bridge rectifier to get DC from 120 V AC. This gives a variable speed drive using the variac to vary the voltage.

Joe

Hi Joe,

That sounds great!

I'm using what appears to be a (unmarked) 106 series compumotor stepper. If true, that requires an SX8 drive, but the one I have is an SX6, hence the cautious approach. The claim is up to 3000 RPM (too fast) and about 1/3 hp at full current. We'll see. Right now the pulleys I have allow only 1:1 but once the Stark is spinning (when a belt comes from Amazon) it should be easy enough to make these Aluminium pulleys.

I didn't realize it until I started looking them up, but the SX series drives are fully programable. Maybe there is something there for threading, going to have to look into it.

The Rivett compound on the Stark is one with the Hardinge type T-slot. I'm making up a universal T-nut for the toolholder and a Myford type milling fixture.

Didn't get down there last night so pics are still in the works.

Jack

Hi Joe,

Here are the pictures...

IMG_20210622_172553~2[15958].jpgIMG_20210622_172507~2[15959].jpgIMG_20210623_071602~2[15962].jpg

Finished the mounting nut for the Myford milling attachment. I thought that the plates on the mount were original, but now I think they are a repair. I hand fitted the nut, which is perfect in one direction but does not fit at all in the other, so the spacing of the plates is just off.

I have a fresh Jarno #4 taper coming to use as a master for cleanup and new work.

Jack

Last edited:
IMG_20210623_222912.jpg

Well, amazingly enough the pins and bolts all lined up. The Myford unit looks good there.

The Jarno #4 is correct for the tailstock on my older Stark, (#183) but this one is larger ? B&S #5 ? will test.

The socket on the drive plate is Jarno #4 however.

The belt has just arrived, so I will be testing the motor next.

Jack

The two tailstocks question would seem to be settled. The older Stark (#183), has a Jarno #4 socket taper. The newer Stark (#2295) has a Jarno #4.5 socket. The tailstock accessories that I have are Jarno #4.8 with an extension which allows them to be used with either tailstock. I still need to find a tailstock center for #2295, preferably alive !

IMG_20210628_132340~2.jpg

A couple of catchup notes:

The headstock/tailstock alignment seems to be perfect, even after a hundred years or so!
IMG_20210628_212638~2.jpg

The hellbox provided 3 pins of unknown application, one of which was a press fit for the spindle dividing holes and the correct length! Downside is that the bolt has to be loosened for each change. (thumbscrew ?)
IMG_20210628_212652~2.jpg

The 22DP gear set is apparently for a Hardinge. Got to check the pitch angle.
IMG_20210628_212615~2.jpg

I think I feel a flat spot on the crossfeed bearing. Going to have to disassemble and see what we got.

Jack,

The 22 DP gears may be usable on the Stark. Its all about space. If you can make the set ups required use them. Those Hardinge gears are all most certain to be 14-1/2 deg. pressure angle.

Joe

Jack,

The 22 DP gears may be usable on the Stark. Its all about space. If you can make the set ups required use them. Those Hardinge gears are all most certain to be 14-1/2 deg. pressure angle.

Joe

There are 4, 50 tooth gears in the stack, so one of those could be bored as the new spindle gear. Still waiting for a belt that will fit the temporary drive. The one that showed up was too long. (figures) It looks like the Stark will have to have a thread mounted on the back side in order to get a power feed. That's where the chaser was mounted. I've dug up 2 old milling machine threads so far. One looks long enough, the other might work on the front side boss where the t-slot is. I could also turn the whole thing around ! In any event, it looks like I have enough "stuff" if I can just get power to it !

IMG_20210629_111212~2.jpgIMG_20210629_111149~2.jpg

Here's the attachments that came w/ this lot. The newer drill chuck and ER32 were added. The cutoff tool is Rivett. The 4 position tailstock assembly is the most interesting !

Jack

Today's find was a 3/4" stainless bar the length of the bed. It will take a bit of work for proper mounting.

IMG_20210701_140049~2.jpg

More digging: a 10TPI thread 0.925" OD sitting next to #183 and a DC motor w/ some type of feed back.

IMG_20210702_104530.jpgIMG_20210702_104817.jpg

Last edited:
These are the specs for this motor type from EBAY. The 3 volt input doesn't make sense to me. Does anyone have info on these motors ?

Brand: ELECTRO-CRAFT
Performance Level: High Inertia Model: E703
Insulation Class: A (Max 221°F) MPN: 070302089
Custom Bundle: No Nominal Rated Input Voltage: 3 V
Modified Item: No Power Rating: 1 KW
Protection Against Solids: Dust Protected IP Rating: Not Rated
Protection Against Liquids: Dripping Water Power (kw): 2.2 kw
Country/Region of Manufacture: Unknown Type: ATC Spindle

Best guess so far is that 0703-12-085 stands for 1KW at 12A, 85V, and that the 3V is the feedback voltage, but at what nominal RPM ? If that encoder is 14V/kRPM then ~200 RPM ?

Last edited:
IMG_20210703_095510~2.jpg

Bearings came today...both slides are now smooth ! The friction on the dial set is controlled by a small brass pin set in a hole and backed by a spring. The screws and spacer in the lower right are parts that were missing as received.

IMG_20210707_212303~2.jpg

First try at tapers: a die holder from a #4 Morse (took a lot of filing), two blanks in 2.25" 4.5 Jarno to be turned into centers on the Stark.

IMG_20210707_212509~2.jpg

There are now 4 chucks. There were 3 backing plates, so one might assume there was another chuck somewhere. So, a 3 jaw, a 4 jaw. an independent 4 jaw, and a 3 jaw w/ reversible jaws on a 4S collet mount.

IMG_20210707_213016~2.jpg

There seems to be a pin or button missing on the back of the collet mounted chuck. Any idea what this is for ?

Back