What's new
What's new

Spit Jack

Jaco1:

The only non-obscene definition I can find for a "spit jack" is that it is a "roasting jack," a machine used to mechanically rotate a meat-roasting spit. (See "Roasting Jack" in Wikipedia)

Is that what your machine is? A method of mechanically turning roasting meats? If so, you certainly had me confused with the wooden model payload - you should have used a rubber chicken to illustrate the purpose of the machine.

Whimsically Yours,
John Ruth

One of the "colonial recreations" here in New England has one of these in their kitchen/keeping room.

Not sure which one now. Might be the Simon Willard house in North Grafton, MA.

The Willards were talented clockmakers in N. Grafton and Roxbury, MA. The ancestral homestead of the Willards now carefully restored and maintained and shown below.

The Willard House & Clock Museum

untitled-0532.jpg

Joe in NH

Further explanation:
The wooden piece is actually a drum that hold rope. The rope is attached to a falling weight to power the machine.
a chain or rope is used as a final drive to turn the meat.

The worm gear and arms on top regulate the fall.

I need to make drum or lantern gears and redo the worm gear.

Jaco1:

The only non-obscene definition I can find for a "spit jack" is that it is a "roasting jack," a machine used to mechanically rotate a meat-roasting spit. (See "Roasting Jack" in Wikipedia)

Is that what your machine is? A method of mechanically turning roasting meats? If so, you certainly had me confused with the wooden model payload - you should have used a rubber chicken to illustrate the purpose of the machine.

Whimsically Yours,
John Ruth

I don't know what search engine you used but when I typed the term into DuckDuckGo at least the first several dozen were about that type of roasting device including some modern versions.

One of the "colonial recreations" here in New England has one of these in their kitchen/keeping room.

Not sure which one now. Might be the Simon Willard house in North Grafton, MA.

The Willards were talented clockmakers in N. Grafton and Roxbury, MA. The ancestral homestead of the Willards now carefully restored and maintained and shown below.

The Willard House & Clock Museum
Joe in NH

Don't know about the Willard Museum, but the Salem Cross Inn in West Brookfield, MA has an original spit jack in their downstairs tavern that is still used - especially during their Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. It's something to see the thing with four big turkeys loaded on it and slowly turning while you sit there having a drink.

I have checked out most of those. They are English. This one is French.

Notable difference is the use of drum or lantern gears as opposed to spur gears.

Seeing that your Spit Jack is French made I tries a couple of French searches on Google
This one for old mechanical Rotisserie which is the word i would generally hear those called my part of Canada .
Ancienne Rotissrie mecanique - Google Search
A more correct term came up as rotissoire .
Ancienne Rotissoire mecanique - Google Search
The more common term for these in in Europe would seem to be “tourne broche” or loosely translated arbor or spindle turner .
In one of my cutter grinder manuals they refer to a grinding wheel spindle extensions as broche porte meule
I didn’t see a match for your Spit jack but it would appear that there is some interest in them in France .
Here are some links I looked at
www.didoulabrocante.fr: tourne broche mural de cheminee de chateau ancien XIXeme XVIIIeme fer forge complet poids poulies
Tournebroche — Wikipedia
Tournebroche ancien pour cheminee ǀ Alain Bidal Materiaux Anciens
https://picclick.fr/ANCIEN-TOURNEBR...ZE-DE-CHEMINéE-282969481544.html#&gid=1&pid=1
http://www.cuiralatre.com/tournebroche contrepoids.htm
http://www.cuiralatre.com/
Maybe among some of the other Google links you can find someone to connect with in France that could tell you more about your particular unit.
If you can write and communicate in French it will make it easier but if not someone there may be able to answer in English if you try contacting them .
I can speak and read French but since it isn’t my first language I don’t write it very well .
There are some members of this forum from France so maybe one of them will notice you post and add something .
Regards,
Jim

Thank you for your research.
I didnt have access to the French terminology.

This particular device, at the moment, seems to cook food on one side only.
I hope to remedy that.

Anyone ever make a worm get set driven by the worm?

Anyone ever make a worm get set driven by the worm?
I believe Messrs Gleason and Torsen made quite a bit of money with their differential design which relies on exactly that principle.

I made a miniature English one years ago, now that I see the French one I want to make it! I am not near my library but I think there was one in the Nesi Collection, both in his book and the auction catalog.

The lantern gears are pretty cool, I always wanted to make some.

Drum gear side plates

I have put together a new large drum gear. The old was to worn to function.
here are some pics of the set up

Attachments

• IMG_20180623_110536002.jpg
    IMG_20180623_110536002.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20180623_112447926.jpg
    IMG_20180623_112447926.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20180623_113012764.jpg
    IMG_20180623_113012764.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_20180623_115446019.jpg
    IMG_20180623_115446019.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 169
Clarification

I tried to edit the last post.
The set up is to drill the side plates for the drum or lantern gear.
21- 3/16 in holes on pitch.
Dividing head came in handy.

Back