What's new
What's new

Springfield Lathe Help!

Adavis4908

Plastic
I was running my 16" Springfield and lost my feeds! The feed rod looks like its "jumping", does anyone know what engages the bevel gear in the apron to the feed rod? The diagram I have on hand is not clear on what engages the keyway in the rod, I found a set screw on the bevel pinion collar but it does not look like it engages it

I was running my 16" Springfield and lost my feeds! The feed rod looks like its "jumping", does anyone know what engages the bevel gear in the apron to the feed rod? The diagram I have on hand is not clear on what engages the keyway in the rod, I found a set screw on the bevel pinion collar but it does not look like it engages it

Normally the bevel gear or its mate is worked by the three position lever below half nut lever. Don't know if Springfield used that idea or not

The "jumping" would suggest to me that the shifting fork involved is plumb worn out

Here is a L&S fork pair I worked on years ago

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...ory/shoeing-shifting-forks-159832/#post911532

have fun

Last edited:
Okay, your feed rod is turning, albeit erratically, but won't drive the carriage?

Or the rod is turning smoothly but the carriage moves in jerks.

Or does the feed rod not turn at all?

Doc.

The feed rod turns, the carriage does not move. I'm assuming there is a key that engages the keyway in the feed rod, if there is it must have sheared. My machine has both bevel Pinon gears (53 & 55 in the operators manual apron diagram). Maybe the feed clutch (59) engages the shaft somehow?

I don't have the manual, so (I don't know which you mean by "#59". :)

If the rod is turning, assuming the direction lever (below the cross slide clutch lever) is facing to the right or to the left (center/down is neutral, for threading, of course) you should get some motion when you engage one of the feeds.

If not, the dogs or the keys on the center bevel gear assembly could be sheared. One or the other axis feed clutch could be loose, but presumably both wouldn't go bad at the same time. I assume neither one works?

Doc.

Back