What's new
What's new

Square head washer bolts

Froneck

Titanium
I'm looking for the square head washer bolts like the ones used in lantern tool post. My lathes were made in the 50s and 60s but still have them. On my 14" Hendey the micrometer stop has 5/8 square washer bolt and the Armstrong wrench stays on and don't fall off. I have another micrometer stop on the tailstock side of the carriage that I use from time to tine that has a socket head cap screw, would be nice to make both the same. I also have a 24" Hendey with a similar micrometer stop but I think someone replaced the bolt with Hex head cap screw. In addition I have a nice micrometer stop that looks as if a micrometer head was fitted but it's made that way, the diameter is quite large about 1", slips thru the stop and helds with a knurled nut so that it can easily be reversed.It uses 2 bolts that are missing. The assembly fits my 24" Hendey like it was made for it so I want to get the square head washer bolts for it.
Amyone have any idea as to where I might find them?

In a quick search it seems that China and India are buying all the Google ad placements, so trying to drill down past that is a chore. I''d be tempted to just make them from a 4340 or equal pre-hard.

In a quick search it seems that China and India are buying all the Google ad placements, so trying to drill down past that is a chore. I''d be tempted to just make them from a 4340 or equal pre-hard.

You will find them yourself inside that bit of steel bar you have laying there. Just remove any metal that does not look like the bolt and there you go. Easy peasy.

just make them from a 4340 or equal pre-hard.

Just so - especially since a lot of them had odd threads - like the clamp screw on Armstrong and Williams tool holders

Thumbnail a rather faded sketch of ones I need to make for one of the smaller McCrosky tool posts - when I find some "around to it"

Attachments

• sketch.jpg
    sketch.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 154
The ones I need seem to be standard threads since someone replaced them with socket head cap screws. Not using them in tool holders since all my lathes have Aloris tool post except the 24" that has Dorian. I did buy square head set screws that I thought of modifying since the length of square is short and there is no washer. Though of getting half hard high strength alloy steel, tapping it and screw it up to the square with loctite to keep it in place then match milling it to make the square longer. Wrench will be on most of the existing square and only part of the modification so there will be little chance of it turning and I'll have the "washer". Only problem is I don't have time to think! Allen wrench works and some day when I'm looking for something to do I might modify the set screws I purchased. John I need the type with the washer since clamping is on the shoulder of the head not end of the threads. Was kinda looking for a shortcut and buy them.

The ones I need seem to be standard threads since someone replaced them with socket head cap screws. Not using them in tool holders since all my lathes have Aloris tool post except the 24" that has Dorian. I did buy square head set screws that I thought of modifying since the length of square is short and there is no washer. Though of getting half hard high strength alloy steel, tapping it and screw it up to the square with loctite to keep it in place then match milling it to make the square longer. Wrench will be on most of the existing square and only part of the modification so there will be little chance of it turning and I'll have the "washer". Only problem is I don't have time to think! Allen wrench works and some day when I'm looking for something to do I might modify the set screws I purchased. John I need the type with the washer since clamping is on the shoulder of the head not end of the threads. Was kinda looking for a shortcut and buy them.

Does it need to be integrated (washer/bolt)? If not McMaster carries square head bolts and you could buy or make your own washers to suit.

McMaster-Carr

found this -
Washer Head Bolts - Portland Bolt
but they seem to be larger bolts than I would expect to find on your machine :o

As said, if you list the specs someone may have spares they would be willing to sell.

Other than that I suspect it would take far more time to seek out ready made ones vs making your own.

I made some a couple weeks ago for my taper attachment and carriage lock. Didn't take too long and now a single wrench manages all the common adjustments on top of the Sheldon.

The ones on both my Sheldon and SB laughed have a taller and larger head than a set screw of the same size. Even if I had found any from the usual suspects they would probably have come in a package of 25 and I would have lost the leftovers by the time I needed them again.

I'll measure the sizes I need and post them tomorrow. Thanks for the link to AFT Milland they have a better selection than McMaster those I got from McMaster are a little shorter than I wanted but were the longest they had. I bookmarked AFT!

Back