STANDARD TOOL Bevel Protractor #516
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default STANDARD TOOL Bevel Protractor #516

A very scarce Standard Tool Company, Athol Mass, number 516 Bevel Protractor sold on the evening of 7/24/2011 on eBay. I thought some might want to see it. So, here are a few pictures of the one that sold:

The sale price was $112.50. It was missing the impossible to find rule and the balled locking pin.

And, as I figured, it wold to a collector who specializes in levels. That level is rare. I have two of the protractors with rules and pins, but no level.

And, to think, Rivett found a correct level for his in an antique glassware booth at Renningers in Adamstown, PA, about 20 years ago. But, that fact hasn't p*ssed me off ever!

2. Likes SalemRule liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey..... I paid the full price they were asking for it!....... I never could get my self to ask for a better price when the starting price is .50 cents!!!!!!!!!!

"But, that fact hasn't p*ssed me off ever!"..... think Stanley 212.

4. Likes SalemRule liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I may have discussed this with Rivett at one point, but I seem to recall seeing a very similar protactor made by starrett that sold a few years ago on eBay without rule or level. It was marked as starrett, but because I hadn't encountered it before, I had suspected it might have not been real. I later saw an example of it at the Starrett museum in Athol.

Of course, I wish I were the guy that got for less than $40 (I don't have the exact amount). Don't you hate how hindsight is 20/20?

6. Likes SalemRule liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

unimat....

I'm not remembering which Starrett bevel protractor you are thinking about. Could it be the short base #12???? I think there is a PM thread here on it somewhere.

During my years at Landon School, we were constantly primed that hindsight, second guessing both can be a real b*tch and were being taught to avoid the mistake.

But, if one doesn't act because of lack of knowledge at the time, that's just unfortunate, bad timing, too bad. If one makes a decision with a poor strategy, like thinking it can be found cheaper, in better condition, or whatever, then big mistake!

My biggest ever hindsight regret involved a mint, drop dead mint, did I say factory floor perfectly new Jennings machinist 4 drawer Walnut tool chest. It was at Knotty Pine Antiques near Keene, NH and two days before a Bittner tool auction in Keene.

That magnificent tool chest, the likes of which I have not seen again in 20+ years was priced at a huge $300. I grabbed it! SWMBO came up and said, "What's that? How much? $300??????? You know the kids need new shoes for school in a week and clothes too. Do you want them going to school barefoot?".

It took me a half an hour to decide, but I put the chest back on the shelf. I rationalized that I could find another at some point, after all, I was young and had time. The lessons at Landon had escaped me!

Decent 4 drawer Jennings chest are quite rare. But, magnificent/mint/stored in a sock drawer, new-old-stock Jennings are not available ever! Except for that very one, and I passed it up!

Just had my 44th wedding anniversary and I still hate the fact the kids got their shoes! Heck, it stayed warm in Silver Spring that year until October! They could have gone to school barefoot.

8. Likes Lester Bowman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

But think.... if you had bought the chest it would be "used" by now and I would only give you $ 150. for it.......

I don't remember the details about the protractor at Starrett......... damn getting old and walking up all these steps........ it just tires out my brain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Antiquemac,

I'm pretty sure that the protractor I saw was not a #12 short base (of which I have an example). I recall this protractor having the exact same locking mechanism as the Standard tool example here. It even had the big round locknut in back just like this one.

11. Likes SalemRule liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ball Locking Pin

I had the pleasure of closely inspecting a BAY STATE BEVEL PROTRACTOR this weekend, and although it had the proper rule, it was missing the BALL SCREW on the side that sets it at 45 degree fixed angles.

The oddest thing is there are TWO HOLES on the side.

If one is for the Ball Plunger Detent Screw, what is the second hole for ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think the second hole is to store the ball plunger detent shaft (not a screw on the Standard examples) however that might have been a great idea but in practice it didn’t work, hence so many are missing that part.

The protractor has holes at 45, 0, 45 and 90 degrees. The other hole is deeper and just into the cast iron body.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 02958790-263b-4ce3-a7d4-f9201a3f7ba5.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I didn't know they were rare, I found one at a flea market, but no rule or level.20191120_190932.jpg

15. Likes SalemRule liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is the level attachment that is rare.

Nice find, these are about 120 years old now.

17. Likes Bret Rochotte, SalemRule liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rivett608 View Post
    I think the second hole is to store the ball plunger detent shaft (not a screw on the Standard examples) however that might have been a great idea but in practice it didn’t work, hence so many are missing that part.

The protractor has holes at 45, 0, 45 and 90 degrees. The other hole is deeper and just into the cast iron body.
    Makes sense to me.